*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 - Starts Fine, Cuts Out, then Wont Start Again for a bit

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: MK7 - Starts Fine, Cuts Out, then Wont Start Again for a

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Where are you in Ireland :?:

I asked this question nearly a month ago :roll: For about £15 I would change the ign switch :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby redbox4wheels » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
bambi mk 1 wrote:Where are you in Ireland :?:

I asked this question nearly a month ago :roll: For about £15 I would change the ign switch :wink:

sorry Bambi been away for 3 weeks, SLIGO... seriously.? ignition switch, think i ready that on another post here earlier.
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby redbox4wheels » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 pm

Bambi - you are pulling my leg right.? are you selling them.?
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby redbox4wheels » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:44 pm

quick update in hope someone can help.

collected Van, and after 4 new injectors, prv, scv and the learns (all supposedly done correct and didnt fail) I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM... :evil: :evil: (plus another my wallet is now empty). The original problem is still there in that you fire it up, and it starts fine first time, after a second or 2 it goes to 800rpm, then after 5-10 seconds it stutters and stalls... And will not start again. Have to turn it over and over to get it to start again maybe 3 or 4 times or leave it for a while then it will fire first time. If reved up on start you can just keep it going and get it warmed up enough for it to stay running.

How or Why would that be.? Garage said now to change the high pressure pump.?! Wonder if should have done/tried that before the injectors.?

I have just bought a really cheap £10er ODB thing i will plug into a phone app, is there anything i can check on it re live data that may show what where the cutting out issue could be from.
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby redbox4wheels » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:16 pm

anyone know if this sounds plausible,

After leaving it overnight, As it starts straight away first time no problem, there must be fuel in the system right upto injectors point, but as it cuts out after 5-10 seconds and wont restart, somewhere there is a leak into the fuel line that is happening slowly over night, that creates the break in fuel supply. Then cranking it an excessive amount of times will clear it through to get it running for the day. Being a slow leak so long as used often can keep it going ok. Ive sort of noticed that the longer left (say a few day) the worse it is at starting after the first easy start that cuts out.

Can the fuel pump fail and get a slow air leak in it of sorts.?
Can it be tested.?
Looking at the clear pipe back to the fuel filter i cant see how this could be the cause of any leak or break in the fuel from watching it while cranking it.
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 pm

every thing can be tested sounds to me the garage you are using doesn't know what they are doing with your transit and just using your money to solve the problem
:(

we keep saying it time and time again ind someone who knows the vans and has the correct diagnostic software for them, snap-on,launch etc BUT nothing is better then using the software that is designed for these :D

my last job

I just done recommended from here took it to garage

they said nothing wrong with it but their was :lol: :lol:
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby redbox4wheels » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 am

karl wrote:every thing can be tested sounds to me the garage you are using doesn't know what they are doing with your transit and just using your money to solve the problem
:(

we keep saying it time and time again ind someone who knows the vans and has the correct diagnostic software for them, snap-on,launch etc BUT nothing is better then using the software that is designed for these :D

my last job

I just done recommended from here took it to garage

they said nothing wrong with it but their was :lol: :lol:

cheers Karl, useful post - can't imagine this forum would exist if all garages/mechanics were as as expert as you suggest they should be as above. TBH i dont understand your last 3 lines.
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby redbox4wheels » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:56 am

im going to try as suggested the Ignition Switch this week if it turns up, then will have to look at a new fuel pump if that dont solve it.
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby redbox4wheels » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Definitely not the ignition switch, changed that.

Smokey and smelly too, think burning oil in it somewhere. Could it burn oil or be smokey just from a temperamental fuel pump.

Any easy way to check the oil pump working ok.?
Daft Q but any way to check cylinders and head without having to take apart, how long a job and cost is it to get it checked.?

although i cant do the works myself i usually like knowing how things work, but im fast going off this transit especially after reading about the weakness of teh mk7 2.2 cylinders and pistons etc.
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Bluevanman! » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:40 pm

I feel your pain. I have "Exactly" the same problem with my 08 110. Every year this time of year it's a nightmare. Today however it just won't go. Tried almost everything you have except injectors, mine has 48k on it so I just refuse to believe it's them! I'm sure it's a fuel issue. Next step I'm just going to replace all the fuel lines and try that. It's pissing me off.
MK 5 TD Transit 80 SWB Custom with Air Con. Gone, Lost to fire.
MK 7 110 FWD MWB Blue Camper conversion.
Mk 7 110 FWD MWB Dark Grey Limited van.
Bluevanman!
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bluevanman! » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Oh dear so now mine says engine malfunction and won't let me turn it over. Left it an hour still says malfunction and won't let me turn over the engine. great.
MK 5 TD Transit 80 SWB Custom with Air Con. Gone, Lost to fire.
MK 7 110 FWD MWB Blue Camper conversion.
Mk 7 110 FWD MWB Dark Grey Limited van.
Bluevanman!
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby redbox4wheels » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Bluevanman! wrote:Oh dear so now mine says engine malfunction and won't let me turn it over. Left it an hour still says malfunction and won't let me turn over the engine. great.

Hi BlueVanMan, yes sure is a pain,

mine locked me out once with engine fault light, ABS and another light. and wouldn't let me crank it. I waited 2hours went back and it had cleared. Think it may have over heated something trying to crank it too many times.!!.

mines sounding rougher and rougher and not trust worthy to drive now even once got going. i have 110k miles on it and had also hoped injectors were ok.

have tested or checked the fuel pump.? mine does sound like fuel is failing to get in, what i get is it fires up nice and easy first time and runs for 15 seconds,which to me says there is fuel in the system, but instead of being backed up with new fuel there is a break in supply and unless revved a good bit straight away it stalls.... and then will not start, i guess becasue no fuel in it at injectors or a little way back. BUT that doesnt explain how if i leave it a few hours then and come back it flipping starts again first time.

burning smell and what looks like bluey smoke is more worrysome for me with rough knocky noise. Im going to have to get on and sort it next week one way or another. Let me know if you get any pointers before me.
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm

redbox4wheels wrote:Hi BlueVanMan, yes sure is a pain,

mine locked me out once with engine fault light, ABS and another light. and wouldn't let me crank it. I waited 2hours went back and it had cleared. Think it may have over heated something trying to crank it too many times.!!.

mines sounding rougher and rougher and not trust worthy to drive now even once got going. i have 110k miles on it and had also hoped injectors were ok.

have tested or checked the fuel pump.? mine does sound like fuel is failing to get in, what i get is it fires up nice and easy first time and runs for 15 seconds,which to me says there is fuel in the system, but instead of being backed up with new fuel there is a break in supply and unless revved a good bit straight away it stalls.... and then will not start, i guess becasue no fuel in it at injectors or a little way back. BUT that doesnt explain how if i leave it a few hours then and come back it flipping starts again first time.

burning smell and what looks like bluey smoke is more worrysome for me with rough knocky noise. Im going to have to get on and sort it next week one way or another. Let me know if you get any pointers before me.

Have you not had it plugged in to read the codes..?? If not why not..?? It becomes a very expensive guessing game just replacing things for the fun of it..! A code read will give half an idea of where to start looking.

The PCM will "lock-out" the starter if it's used too much/overheated etc...All else being equal...these diesels only need fuel and compression to run. Usually if she starts and stops soon after it's an air leak on the inlet side of the pump, filter head or lines back to the pump....it's also possible the PRV has died which can give similar symptoms. As mentioned, guessing can become very expensive.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby redbox4wheels » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:01 pm

knobby1 wrote:

Have you not had it plugged in to read the codes..?? If not why not..?? It becomes a very expensive guessing game just replacing things for the fun of it..! A code read will give half an idea of where to start looking.

The PCM will "lock-out" the starter if it's used too much/overheated etc...All else being equal...these diesels only need fuel and compression to run. Usually if she starts and stops soon after it's an air leak on the inlet side of the pump, filter head or lines back to the pump....it's also possible the PRV has died which can give similar symptoms. As mentioned, guessing can become very expensive.

Lord Knobrot

Hi Lord
yes there were no codes mentioned, i'll get done again though.
Yes done PRV and SCV and supposedly all the Learns correctly when put the new injectors in, and understand the Fuel Pumps dont usually give bother. PRV when removed was good (intact). yes agree, expensive waste not knowing. will check air leak visually somehow, nothing leaking out though visibly.
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 am

redbox4wheels wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Hi Lord
yes there were no codes mentioned, i'll get done again though.
Yes done PRV and SCV and supposedly all the Learns correctly when put the new injectors in, and understand the Fuel Pumps dont usually give bother. PRV when removed was good (intact). yes agree, expensive waste not knowing. will check air leak visually somehow, nothing leaking out though visibly.
On the fwd models the clear fuel pipe can be worn through to a pin hole by a rubber water hose sitting on it, and the rubber water hose actually sits on the hole and blocks the hole on and off so you get an intermittent fault that doesn't show up on computers....seen a few with this problem with mine being one of them, its the see through curly pipe from filter to pump
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits