*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Shedding weight and actual weight of seats and accessories

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Shedding weight and actual weight of seats and accessori

Postby dumper » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 am

As I said before losing weight costs money every time I go on a diet my food bill goes up :shock: :D :D
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby browuk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 am

paul2012 wrote:
browuk wrote:
dumper wrote:Just done a search on forum for twin alloy wheels come up with this http://www.arconic.com/alcoawheels/cata ... hicles.pdf

Found that too with a search but got error when I tried to post the link . 1699 bucks for the 4 plus shipping of course :shock:

Would advise against fitting alloys to a Transit Recovery. They will buckle very easily.

In the link posted above. Alloys for the Transit 350 dual (dual rear wheel) has a load rating of only 936kg :!:

Hi Paul,

Understood but what is the load rating on the steel rim?

Without looking at a plate, isn't the front axle around 1750 kg ? so over two the 1872kg would be sufficient and the rear is? 2500 kg? So if 4 wheels of 936 are used, this equates to 3744? Bear in mind also that the rear will retain the original steel rims on the inside of the rear axle.

I appreciate all input and if it really isn't a good idea, I'll listen, just like to understand things lol.
browuk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby browuk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 am

dumper wrote:As I said before losing weight costs money every time I go on a diet my food bill goes up :shock: :D :D

Ain't that the truth! :lol:
browuk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby browuk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:23 am

paul2012 wrote:
browuk wrote:Hi all, hope I've chosen the correct place to post this.

Any recommendations on shedding weight from a mk7 crew cab chassis cab 115 or 140ps

I've been thinking of the seats to start with but does anyone know the actual weight of the single and double seat up front as well as the rear bench seat.

Are there alternative seat options that weigh in less? I could remove double seat completely or replace with a single, or if lighter, replace with 2 mondeo or focus seats?

Anything else I could look at to remove or modify that would help save a few kg?

Thanks guys :D

You'll be adding more weight fitting Mondeo / Focus seats :idea:. Transit seats are not that heavy anyway.

Using a Crew cab chassis, the chassis itself has to be extended in 2 places - Section added between cab & rear wheels. Then another section added after rear wheels.
That alone will add to overall weight. Even though bed is made from aluminium, itself will weigh a couple of hundred kg. Last bed I built weighed in at 197kg.
I still have a 8'x4' sheet of aluminium checker plate left over & that one sheet weigh 28kg

Crew cab chassis are not idea for conversion to recovery. :(

Thanks for the tip on the seats, I presume this is because of electric motors etc? I would love to know the actual weight of the transit seat, in the ford brochure it states that you would gain 20kg payload if you opt for a single passenger seat as apposed to a bench, can we assume then that a single seat weighs roughly 20kg? Exact figures would be great though.

I have seen some new universal recaro style seats that weigh in at under 15g each which seems light but without knowing what I'm comparing against, it's very difficult to make a decision.

I understand about the chassis extension along with the extra weight of a 3' section of prop.

I am looking at a bed build of 160kg, after speaking to a couple of builders, with the right build, although expensive, this is possible.
Agreed, crew cabs are not ideal for weight and load length but it will be used for European work and the addition of a bench seat for a bed and also for the family to tag along now and again, it's the best option for me. The transit will be replacing my American truck which with a 7.4l v8 lump, ever increasing fuel costs and reducing rates for transport has just sadly become too impractical to use :(

Anyway, I appreciate any more input with weights and ideas etc to make this build a reality :D
browuk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 pm

On the seating front you could go for the light weight rally competition seats for rallying the seats have a time limit on them so have to be changed not sure how long but there must be some about cheap as the only use for them after is road use
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby browuk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm

dumper wrote:On the seating front you could go for the light weight rally competition seats for rallying the seats have a time limit on them so have to be changed not sure how long but there must be some about cheap as the only use for them after is road use

I have looked at this as an option. Just a case of finding a balance between comfort for long distance and weight.
browuk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits