*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 Gear Selector Turret

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK7 Gear Selector Turret

Postby LOULUC » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:23 pm

08 FWD 5-speed. Looking for advice or guide to removing the gear selector turret. I can feel the six 10mm bolts but can't imagine how it would come out of such a tight space. Any help is appreciated.
LOULUC
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK7 Gear Selector Turret

Postby LOULUC » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Update: I've changed the gear cables, and the gear turret looks brand new and when off the vehicle it moves freely with no slack at all. Still grinds in 1st, 2nd (bad) and reverse. What else could it be?
LOULUC
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 pm

LOULUC wrote:Update: I've changed the gear cables, and the gear turret looks brand new and when off the vehicle it moves freely with no slack at all. Still grinds in 1st, 2nd (bad) and reverse. What else could it be?

Clutch not disengaging properly...??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby LOULUC » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am

knobby1 wrote:Clutch not disengaging properly...??

Not too sure, I recently changed master cylinder as I thought it could be the cause. I "bled" from master to slave and got good pressure in the pedal. Do you think it could need bleeding even though I get 3rd 4th and 5th OK?
LOULUC
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby LOULUC » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 pm

On another note, what transmission oil do I need for a 5 speed FWD?
LOULUC
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 pm

LOULUC wrote:
knobby1 wrote:Clutch not disengaging properly...??

Not too sure, I recently changed master cylinder as I thought it could be the cause. I "bled" from master to slave and got good pressure in the pedal. Do you think it could need bleeding even though I get 3rd 4th and 5th OK?

It may "feel" ok but sometimes there is still air in the system....an "alternate" bleeding method is to connect the left front brake bleed nipple to the clutch slave bleed nipple using a suitable piece of tubing, crack both nipples and slowly pump the brake pedal, this will "reverse bleed" the clutch system and any trapped air will end up in the brake M'cyl reservoir. Obviously keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm

LOULUC wrote:On another note, what transmission oil do I need for a 5 speed FWD?

Obviously Ford specify their own fluid, WSD-M2C200-C, which is GL-4 compliant, however many of us use different oils...personally I use fully synthetic Redline MTL and find it very good and GL-4 compliant, it's expensive though.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-Redline ... SwEeFVFe0n

Redline MT90 is also a good transmission oil, full synthetic, slightly thicker viscosity and GL-4 compliant..... also very expensive.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-X-Redline- ... Sw8d9UyFEa

Here's some more info:

https://www.redlineoil.com/gear-oil-for ... nsmissions

With the cooler temps you guys get in the UK, I'd recommend the MTL as it's slightly less viscous.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby LOULUC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks for all your help. I'll inspect/change the gearbox oil and get a proper bleed on the hydraulics. I'll report back.
LOULUC
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits