*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Totally Lost on what to do?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Totally Lost on what to do?

Postby Grantdude » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 pm

I bought a transit 2.4 cdci 2007 6 months ago. Along with the crank shaft pulley falling of on the M5 brining it home from the seller, it failed to start after it was warm.
I have taken it to Ford via my local garage and they said along with having two failing batteries , I had an unbalanced injector t(no.4).
I battled on with my problematic van due to lack of funds , and noticed that after driving it, the secret to getting it to start again when it was warm was to switch off engine and immediately switch the ignition lights back on. However strange this may sound if i did that after every journey it would always start 100% warm or not.
Having discovered this quirky but effective hack I thought id treat the van to a service and two new batteries (through my local garage).

The garage called to say that it wouldn't start after the service and they couldn't get it off the ramps!! after a day of fiddling with it they phoned to say that they had it running.
They advised me to renew all the injectors as after a leak off test apparently 3 of the pots were rapidly filling up.
The van now has an engine light on which isa low fuel pressure code.

My confusion is, before the service, it was running fine even ticking over , it wasn't heavy on fuel, Now it has a eml light on and it drinks fuel like a fish but starts first time every time with no uneven revs. ?

definitely injectors? and if so how can they suddenly go wrong?

could it be the fuel pump?

any help greatly appreciated

cheers

Grant
Grantdude

Re: Totally Lost on what to do?

Postby ned » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 pm

Go on PFjones.co.uk for injectors, if ford and an independent garage both say injectors and you have a code for fuel pressure then I would say its injectors. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 pm

Whereabouts are you Grant.?? We may have a member local who can take a look for you or at least point you in the right direction....don't start buying things until we can verify the faults first. When the van was in the garage did they give you the actual fault codes..?? Did they use IDS or Forscan??

I suspect the fault light is due to it not passing the pump & injector/pilot learns. If it is indeed an injector problem PF Jones is a good place to get them from....even their re-manufactured units come with new calibration codes. Mk7 pumps themselves rarely fail, it's usually all the bits hanging off the fuel system which give grief.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Grantdude » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 am

ned wrote:Go on PFjones.co.uk for injectors, if ford and an independent garage both say injectors and you have a code for fuel pressure then I would say its injectors. N

thanks mate I was kinda thinking the same but needed a second opinion. :)
Grantdude

Postby redbox4wheels » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:25 pm

sounds like mine, im going to have to also cough up i think and get some
redbox4wheels
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits