*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Water going into sump

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Water going into sump

Postby Burtie1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Advice needed my mk6 transit 2.4di not been using it for a while as I’ve been welding it it’s always run fine just started it up the odd time for less than five minutes now I’ve not started it up for a few days I went to check under the bonnet first whilst my battery was charging there was no water in the header tank and the hoses were froze so no antifreeze obviously anyway I tipped a bit of hot water in the top hose and left the hose off over night come this morning the top hose is practically clear so I put it back on and filled the header tank with warm water it took ages as to kept going down then as I was filling I notice water coming out the dipstick tube so I took off the oil filler cap and as I was squeezing the top hose I could see water And oil coming up inside the rocker cover what will be the problem as it’s not hardly been started nor been anywhere and I know it hasn’t overheated as everything was fine before the frost
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Water going into sump

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Most likely the oil cooler
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dodgy01 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 pm

as above the oil cooler is the likely culprit
failing that its not good news
dodgy01
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Burtie1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:42 pm

dodgy01 wrote:as above the oil cooler is the likely culprit
failing that its not good news

If the oil cooler has gone would that make the water come up through the dipstick what about when I squeeze the top hose and I can see it coming up inside the rocker cover I hear there is core plugs in there somewhere is that right
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Take off the rocker cover and check the frost plugs in between the valves :wink: You can reuse them :) Your oil cooler and any plastic connectors may have bit the dust too :(
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Airthies » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Take off the rocker cover and check the frost plugs in between the valves :wink: You can reuse them :) Your oil cooler and any plastic connectors may have bit the dust too :(
+1
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 pm

No antifreeze is the give-away......Yeah probably the oil cooler...if she's frozen the hoses, the cooler would also suffer, the ice expands and possibly splits the cooler.

Anti-freeze is your friend in colder climates.

We don't get that problem here in down-under land...will be well over 40C here in south-western Sydney today.. :shock:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Burtie1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 pm

knobby1 wrote:No antifreeze is the give-away......Yeah probably the oil cooler...if she's frozen the hoses, the cooler would also suffer, the ice expands and possibly splits the cooler.

Anti-freeze is your friend in colder climates.

We don't get that problem here in down-under land...will be well over 40C here in south-western Sydney today.. :shock:

Lord Knobrot

So if the oil cooler is the culprit would that make the oil and water come up into the rocker cover when squeezing the top hose because as I stood there squeezing the top hose the water was coming through the dipstick and I could see inside the rocker cover filling up but it went down when I stopped squeezing the top hose so can’t water only get in that part of a core plug has popped out whilst it was froze
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Airthies » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:01 pm

It will flow where ever theres space. So it'll come up through the block where the galleries/holes are for oil to drain back to the sump. As you squeeze it's got to go somewhere and up n out is the only place it can go.

I'd get it drained as soon as poss though and worrt about where it's coming from after.
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Airthies wrote:It will flow where ever theres space. So it'll come up through the block where the galleries/holes are for oil to drain back to the sump. As you squeeze it's got to go somewhere and up n out is the only place it can go.

I'd get it drained as soon as poss though and worrt about where it's coming from after.

Good advice that..^^

Whatever you do...don't start it....you'll distribute the water everywhere and can possibly destroy otherwise good crank/rod bearings. Just drain the oil as Arthies says...Find & fix the offending item and go from there..!

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Airthies » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Then ONLY once its fixed!
Once running I'd do a couple of quick oil changes to make sure any crud from the rusty coolant system water has been flushed out.
Oil and filters are cheap compared to a farqued engine!
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 am

Airthies wrote:Then ONLY once its fixed!
Once running I'd do a couple of quick oil changes to make sure any crud from the rusty coolant system water has been flushed out.
Oil and filters are cheap compared to a farqued engine!

+1..^^

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Burtie1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Yh I took hoses off last night to drain water out and bottom hose on radiator after most of the water came out I noticed that oil was coming out aswell so going drop the oil out the sump now and I’ve not tried to start it yet
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Burtie1 wrote:Yh I took hoses off last night to drain water out and bottom hose on radiator after most of the water came out I noticed that oil was coming out aswell so going drop the oil out the sump now and I’ve not tried to start it yet

Water in oil and oil in water is more than likely as we thought....oil cooler...

When engine is running, oil pressure overrides the coolant pressure and oil ends up in the coolant..... when engine is stopped and still warm, the residual coolant pressure overrides the now non-existent oil pressure and the coolant ends up in the sump. The cooler is possibly/probably split at the oil/coolant interface....reasonably common.

It's a bit of a ball-ache but not a major problem, can be repaired without a major engine tear-down.

You can get them with the "better" spin-on filters these days:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-TRANSI ... SwICpZ53M0

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Don't attempt to start it till you check the frost plugs under the rocker cover,they can get caught in the cams and you don't want that and all that goes with it :shock:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits