*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Water going into sump

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Water going into sump

Postby Burtie1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:07 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Don't attempt to start it till you check the frost plugs under the rocker cover,they can get caught in the cams and you don't want that and all that goes with it :shock:

Yh I’ve drained sump mostly water came out first then oil I’ve taken the oil cooler and filter off and split them oil was coming out where the water pipes go on but I kept filling it with water and no water seams to be coming out the other end so I’m going to get it tested as for the frost plugs I’m going to check them tomorrow or at weekend but can frost plugs have same effect making the water go into the sump
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:10 pm

The plugs are most likely the main reason for the water in the sump :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gotgcoalman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Core/frost plugs are there to stop the head/block cracking in the event of a freeze of the coolant.

Reading the above posts.
Some of the plugs on your enging are under the rocker cover (out of sight)
If 1 or more have popped then water would enter the sump unseen.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:54 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Don't attempt to start it till you check the frost plugs under the rocker cover,they can get caught in the cams and you don't want that and all that goes with it :shock:

Yep...good advice that....I never thought of them...! Easy to check after rocker cover is off..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Brains_transit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 pm

More good advice is always have antifreeze and check it that it still has the properties to prevent it freezing. You can get a antifreeze tester cheap and that saves f*** around with an engine in cold weather
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Burtie1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:53 am

Brains_transit wrote:More good advice is always have antifreeze and check it that it still has the properties to prevent it freezing. You can get a antifreeze tester cheap and that saves f*** around with an engine in cold weather

Yh one thing I never give a thought to checking when I had the van it drove absolutely fine when the lad brought it over from Nottingham then it’s been sat in my drive a while now getting welded I’ve only started it the odd time or two but I’ve not started it for over a week now just thought I’d check the oil then noticed the top hose had froze since then I’ve not even tried to start it so rocker cover will be off soon as possible to check core plugs are they easy to spot has anyone got a picture of location of these core plugs
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Burtie1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Update lads I’ve taken the rocker cover off and noticed one core plug sitting there on it’s side by the hole the other two are fine also the oil cooler I’d taken off the other day and I’ve filled it up with a cleaning fluid to the top of each pipe that sticks up and it hasn’t leaked out so I’m presuming the oil cooler is ok
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:02 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:The plugs are most likely the main reason for the water in the sump :wink:

+1
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Burtie1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:25 pm

EC0C51F3-DD3C-4302-A52B-CE43AF640256.jpeg

Another bit of advice needed I’ve been to ford to buy a new core plug to go in the top of the head and they say this one in the picture is the right one so I take it the bit that’s bevelled pushes into the hole to leave that screw thing sticking up I’m i right
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits