*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit won’t start clicking sound

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Transit won’t start clicking sound

Postby Seanf1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello

So I have a 60 plate transit and the story goes like so 3 years ago it cut out on me and when I tried to restart there was a lot of clicking sounds coming form behind the steering wheel and the electrics were all over the place, on that occasion I had to be recovered and when they looked at it the following day it started fine. Then about a year later it done the same and I cleaned up the battery terminals and that seemed to sort it. I’m now selling the van and on the day it was supposed to go it decided to do the same thing... basically when I turn the key there’s no mechanical action just a lot of clicking coming from somewhere in the cab below the gear stick, the wipers would only work on mid speed initially and after leaving it an hour or so and trying again the wipers have returned to normal functionality but still only get clicking sounds when trying to start, I’ve cleaned the battery terminals again but its made no difference.

It seems like a bad connection somewhere, can anyone point me on the right direction

Thanks in advance
Sean
Seanf1

Re: Transit won’t start clicking sound

Postby jumbo 57 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:55 pm

I've never had an issue with battery terminals, always always always go to the heart of the problem ie. the starter and/or earths.

Not very helpful I know but you need to get down and dirty, whip of the starter wires, abrade the terminals with 80 grit sandpaper, little clart of grease and reinstate. This is free if your up to it. After that, if it's still an issue then at least you can say your connections are all good.

FWD or RWD?
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Seanf1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks jumbo

It’s a fwd

I’ve not had the chance to look into any more today, will try and solve it again on Tuesday. I was kinda hoping that it would have sorted itself out like before but no joy
Seanf1

Postby ake » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Knackered battery.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Jason _Transit » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:56 pm

I had a similar problem turned out to be a poor earth on the starter, I would check and clean all earth leads.
Jason _Transit
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby IRMA999 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:24 pm

:D similar problem...... turned out to be battery earth.............. :shock:
Mmmmmmmm 140 GLX with the toys.....
IRMA999
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits