*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Broken down won't started suspected timing chain

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Broken down won't started suspected timing chain

Postby marc1234567 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:05 pm

2002 mk6 . 2.4 diesel , mechanic is saying based on the diagnostics probably is slipped timing chain and is saying the job is about 9 hours. Can anyone confirm that is about right for the hours?

Is there anything else it could be? the errors were from memory powertrain control unit , 2 faults , one was fuel injection error and other was an expected engine stop . the crank shaft sensor has been changed. easy start failed to do anything.
Previous mk 5 (2000) Luton body (2012-2013)

Mk 6 tddi 2.4 125ps RWD dropwell luton (2018 - present)
Mk 7 tdci 2.2 125ps RWD Luton / taillift (Aug 2021-present)
marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Broken down won't started suspected timing chain

Postby jumbo 57 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:47 pm

I can't offer you much help other than I think the job is around 4 - 5 hours, possibly less if you do them day in day out with the foreman/manager aiming a loaded gun at you :shock:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 pm

jumbo 57 wrote:I can't offer you much help other than I think the job is around 4 - 5 hours, possibly less if you do them day in day out.

Not if the head is kaput which is more than likely :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:58 pm

marc1234567 wrote:2002 mk6 . 2.4 diesel , mechanic is saying based on the diagnostics probably is slipped timing chain and is saying the job is about 9 hours. Can anyone confirm that is about right for the hours?

Is there anything else it could be? the errors were from memory powertrain control unit , 2 faults , one was fuel injection error and other was an expected engine stop . the crank shaft sensor has been changed. easy start failed to do anything.

it it doesn't run on sniff you have head trouble most likely done the cam shaft cradle :(
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby jumbo 57 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:02 pm

I was easing him in, yes, no starting on heroin is a trifle worrying.

Is that head off or in situ repair guys :?:
I suspect if valves have clattered then it an OFF. :shock:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:12 pm

jumbo 57 wrote:I was easing him in, yes, no starting on heroin is a trifle worrying.

they don't bend valves they just push the cams up resulting in cradle breaking or striping the camsaft follower bolts :( :(

but either way depending on the damage it has done to the above it can be repaired in situ but if the cam cradle is broken then its head of and another one :(
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby jumbo 57 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:15 pm

karl wrote:
jumbo 57 wrote:I was easing him in, yes, no starting on heroin is a trifle worrying.

they don't bend valves they just push the cams up resulting in cradle breaking or striping the camsaft follower bolts :( :(

but either way depending on the damage it has done to the above it can be repaired in situ but if the cam cradle is broken then its head of and another one :(

Nasty, so the follower bolts must be pretty soft, can you helicoil them then :?:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:18 pm

jumbo 57 wrote:
karl wrote:

Nasty, so the follower bolts must be pretty soft, can you helicoil them then :?:

yes unless it looks like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby jumbo 57 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:22 pm

So that's the carrier, needs welding by the look of it :lol:

It must bolt to the head, it's those threads I'm talking about, did you say the bolt strips or do the threads in head strip out?
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:25 pm

jumbo 57 wrote:So that's the carrier, needs welding by the look of it :lol:

It must bolt to the head, it's those threads I'm talking about, did you say the bolt strips or do the threads in head strip out?

the broken bits is were the cam follower bolt to so you car'nt repair new head as the are machine together when manufactured
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby marc1234567 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:13 am

Oh dear. I was thinking that if chain slips it doesn't start due to incorrect timing but not necessarily damage but looks like that likely is not the case :(

marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby marc1234567 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 am

karl wrote:

So is it the case that generally the head is ok and cam cradle is broken and to be replaced?

marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:30 pm

marc1234567 wrote:
karl wrote:

So is it the case that generally the head is ok and cam cradle is broken and to be replaced?

If it has pulled the bolts "and broken" the cradle/ladder....it will need a new/second hand head assy, they are a matched pair and machined as one piece....sometimes people have tried to replace the just ladder and it locks the cams solid. You can't buy them separately from Ford as they're a matched set.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I3Mg%3D%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marc1234567 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:55 pm

the timing chain has broken and the rocker cover has been removed and no cradle damage is observable.

the mechanic is not sure and asked me to ask here.

the camshafts can be turned and the mechanic says that could be a bad or good thing. he is unsure as to whether the valves may be bent or whatever.

is there any way there may be no damage to valves etc.

marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm

marc1234567 wrote:the timing chain has broken and the rocker cover has been removed and no cradle damage is observable.

the mechanic is not sure and asked me to ask here.

the camshafts can be turned and the mechanic says that could be a bad or good thing. he is unsure as to whether the valves may be bent or whatever.

is there any way there may be no damage to valves etc.

Strange for the chain to actually break..?? If so it will be as Karl mentioned, it's unlikely to bend valves as they're straight on to the pistons and quite robust.... they usually pull the rocker shaft bolts or break the rocker ladder...or both.

If "both cams" can be turned 360 degrees with cyl #1 at TDC and without turning the crank...there's problems, valves should be touching #1 & #4 pistons.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits