*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Frostplug change

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Frostplug change

Postby Burtie1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 am

knobby1 wrote:
Burtie1 wrote:Hello bambi mk 1
Here is the story I came out of the house one day and thought I’d start the van up as I hadn’t started it for a couple of weeks but first I checked the oil it looked a bit funny on the dipstick then I noticed the top hose was froze it could be squashed so I undid the top hose and got most of the soft ice out and tipped a touch of warm water in and left it the next day I went out and started to fill the header tank as it was empty I was filling it for ages then noticed water homing through the dipstick tube then upon removing the oil filler cap I noticed it was filling up in there so I immediately let all the water out by removing the hoses it was at that time I came on this forum and asked questions as I never knew there were frost plugs in the top of the head so when I was told this I drained the sump and took of the oil cooler then I took of the rocker cover and saw the frostplug sitting there I’ve since put it back in and tested the oil cooler and put that back on cleaned all hoses and put fresh oil in then come to try start and it just turns a fraction

Geezus...That's a long sentence right there..! :shock:

If she won't turn over, (and we'll have to assume the battery and starter are ok).... I'm guessing the water may have gone up past the piston rings and into the cylinders, time to get the injectors out and see for sure.

Lord Knobrot

Yes knobby1 it’s always started up no problem and I’ve had the battery on charge aswell so it looks like injectors out this weekend is it a easy straight forward job to take these out
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:08 am

Burtie1 wrote:Geezus...That's a long sentence right there..! :shock:

If she won't turn over, (and we'll have to assume the battery and starter are ok).... I'm guessing the water may have gone up past the piston rings and into the cylinders, time to get the injectors out and see for sure. Lord Knobrot

Yes knobby1 it’s always started up no problem and I’ve had the battery on charge aswell so it looks like injectors out this weekend is it a easy straight forward job to take these out[/quote]

On a TDDi it's pretty straight forward, they screw in, high pressure lines off, leak-back lines off. Some can be troublesome if there's carbon build-up but in general they should come out easily enough.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I3Mg%3D%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby APH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Take drive belt off and see if water pump spins freely, may have been damaged with the ice and be just enough resistance for starter to struggle without belt slipping.

Do not try starting on the key any more until you can turn it two full turns with a ratchet on the crank pulley bolts (clockwise)

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Burtie1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:03 pm

APH wrote:Take drive belt off and see if water pump spins freely, may have been damaged with the ice and be just enough resistance for starter to struggle without belt slipping.

Do not try starting on the key any more until you can turn it two full turns with a ratchet on the crank pulley bolts (clockwise)

Andy :D

Thanks for that tip APH I never even thought about that once I will be checking that before I take the injectors out I’ve removed all the front end for better access
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jumbo 57 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Yes, good tip indeed.

Hope the weekend fairs good for you Burtie.
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Burtie1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

jumbo 57 wrote:Yes, good tip indeed.

Hope the weekend fairs good for you Burtie.

Took belt off turned water pump by hand tried all other pullys and tensioner turn fine but not crank pully so took all injectors out and there was oil all covered over them I then turned pully and it turned all the way round the bores were full of oil I kept turning the pully to get the oil out as much as I could then tried it on the key it turns over fine now but in the process I got oil all up the windscreen and everywhere else just got put everything back now and try it
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jumbo 57 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Dang, sounds messy.

The oil must have forced up passed the rings then, so water displaces oil after all. :idea:

Let us know if she fires up once your all back together. :)
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Burtie1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:40 am

[quote="jumbo 57"]Dang, sounds messy.

The oil must have forced up passed the rings then, so water displaces oil after all. :idea:

Let us know if she fires up once your all back together. :)[/quote

I will although it may be a couple of days now before I put it back together as I want to make sure nothing has gone in the turbo or anywhere else I’m glad it wasn’t water in the bored really with the frost we’ve been having
Burtie1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits