*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rust above windscreen (High Roof & Semi High Roof)

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Rust above windscreen (High Roof & Semi High Roof)

Postby panelvan08 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi,

Trying to remedy some rust above the windscreen on my Mk7, which appears to be a fairly common problem - does anyone know if this is generally caused by stone chips or whether it's rusting due to condensation collecting inside, running down the roof and getting trapped above the windscreen?

I used to have a vw baywindow panel van where the gutters were rotten terribly (inside out) and it was pretty obvious this was caused by condensation running down the curved roof into a deep vee groove between the outerskin and an internal structural box section. I filled it waxoyl & bitumen mix on a hot day but really the damage was done!

Does anyone (someone who's had the headlining off) know if the transit has a similar internal rust trap above the windscreen?
panelvan08
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Rust above windscreen (High Roof & Semi High Roof)

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:34 pm

If it was from condensation above the screen on the inside then there would be a hole where the rust has come through
Since there's never a hole just rust and speaking as a scientist its just stone chips same as a lo roof gets
Init :?:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby oOplumberOo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 pm

mine has this rust all the way across the top edge , windscreen recently developed a nice crack too! , i read some where that the rust can be caused by the top seal rubbing/digging into the paint ? dont know if theres any truth to that , not looking forward to replaing my screen as its going to need welding in areas and dont have the time do it ...
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:09 pm

buggers :x my last 2 hi roofs had rust patches from st onchips right the way upto the top of the roof
bugger to get too
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jumbo 57 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 pm

I brought a minging MK6 SWB (2001) back to showroom condition about 5 years ago.
New wings, all dents sorted, lower rust treated, homemade rear cross member, 3 days welding underneath, topped of with a complete respray in 2k.
The 3 or 4 inches above the screen seal was a solid bank of festering scabby rust, absolutely no paint showing. Scabby as a bats ass :!:

Got a windscreen fitter to remove the screen and I set to with the grinder, then a DA sander, all I did was gently remove the scabby surface layer before treating the SMOOTH scab with a rust convertor.

Once it was primed, skim filled and then sprayed not a single speck of rust returned in 2 years.

Reason: Windscreen fitter didn't refit the top seal, he said they collect moisture.

Mk7 models didn't get the top seal and they don't rust. :idea:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby panelvan08 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 am

Cheers all! Mine is a mk7, and ive seen a fair few, including my dads Mk7 have the same rust spots. I had it painted a year or so ago and its come back in one place. Ive got sone kurust so will see if i can control it!
panelvan08
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits