*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

LPG Temperature problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

LPG Temperature problem

Postby Boxster1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:16 am

HI

I have a Mk7 transit with a Landi Renzo LPG system.
Its worked perfect for about a year. However during the recent cold spell, after the usual 5 mins warming up it would switch from petrol to LPG.
Resulting in a missfire and I had to manually switch back to petrol. Even when the temperature gauge showed that the van was up to temperature there was still an LPG missfire.
After constantly trying to run on LPG, it was only after about 30 mins that I could switch to LPG and fire on all 4 cylinders. Then it would run perfect all day.
This happened every day during the cold weather.

Now that the weather has warmed up, the switch over occurs after about 5 mins and we fire on all 4 cylinders.
Any ideas anybody ?

Mike
Boxster1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: LPG Temperature problem

Postby madmart132 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:58 pm

you might be low on coolant ?
The gas is so cold that it will freeze the vaporisor if there is not enough warm water going through the cooling system , they need the hot water to turn the gas back into a liquid form
I have a BMW 5 series and when filling the radiator on Saturday I could actually see the vaporisor and surrounding pipes freezing up ,once properly bled the ice melted and everything returned to normal .
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 pm

First guess would be that the evaporator is gunked up with coolant crap so it never gets hot enough.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boxster1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:18 pm

the dutch guy wrote:First guess would be that the evaporator is gunked up with coolant crap so it never gets hot enough.

Hi The Dutch Guy

Thanks for your reply.
Not being very technical I don't fancy pulling the evaporator apart.
Could I get away with draining the coolant and then flushing ?

Regards
Mike
Boxster1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madmart132 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 pm

possibly a flush will help , the basic idea is the water in the engine warms the gas so it can be injected in to the manifold give it a try and get back to us even try a hosepipe to the waterpipes in the vaporisor
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby midnight » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi, With regards to the coolant. If the coolant is at the correct level then check the antifreeze content of the coolant. If the antifreeze content of the coolant is too low then you will need to add more antifreeze. I mix my own coolant at 33% antifreeze and I have no problems with the vaporiser freezing.
Ford Transit mk7 2007 145 T300 mwb shr rwd petrol/lpg
midnight
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Boxster1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Thanks guys
I will flush the system this weekend.
And then refill with 5 litres of red antifreeze.
And will report back next week.
Boxster1
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby the dutch guy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 am

there is a large hex bolt on the front of the evaporator. as long as you dont turn that thing you wont break anything.

take out the entire thing in one bit and use a hose and clean it out. good indicator is the hoses going to the evaporator.
if you ont see anything then check the flow.
use a temperature probe (steal one from the kitchen of needed) and measure the temperature of a metal part of the engine block and compare that to temperarure of the evaporator. they should be basically the same if its not evaporating. then check the temperature when you are running on lpg and check again. it should still be well into the 50+.
if the temperature takes a dive it means there is not enough flow and there is some kind of blockage.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits