*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sluggish at starting?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Sluggish at starting?

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:02 pm

adam75pl wrote:Yeah, I’d get electric van next time, I think...

Them damn batteries will cost a tad more than 78 sheckles though... :roll:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby adam75pl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:06 pm

knobby1 wrote:

Them damn batteries will cost a tad more than 78 sheckles though... :roll:

Lord Knobrot[/quote]
I get pack of 50 Duracell AA’s for £15 from Amazon... I think I’ll be ok ;)
But seriously, I’m waiting for Custom Hybrid...
Think that’s a subject for another topic, sorry for spamming.
This post only expresses opinion of the author of today. It can not be used against him tomorrow, or any other day following that date. In addition, the author reserves the right to change his views, without prior notification.
T280 SWB 2.2 115PS
adam75pl
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 pm

adam75pl wrote:I get pack of 50 Duracell AA’s for £15 from Amazon... I think I’ll be ok ;)

I've been thinking of an electric motorcycle for a few years now...still not totally sure though...and yes, it's a subject for another topic/thread.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the dutch guy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 am

knobby1 wrote:
adam75pl wrote:I get pack of 50 Duracell AA’s for £15 from Amazon... I think I’ll be ok ;)

I've been thinking of an electric motorcycle for a few years now...still not totally sure though...and yes, it's a subject for another topic/thread.

Lord Knobrot

I have been building electric scooters and motorcycles for 3 years now. No need to wait. 8)
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:47 pm

the dutch guy wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

I have been building electric scooters and motorcycles for 3 years now. No need to wait. 8)

Really..?? What motors and controllers do you use for the motorcycles??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the dutch guy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 am

Motor is dependant on the desires of the customer as prices vary wildly.
Controllers is usually a kelly due to relative low cost and ease of programming and sometimes a sevcon if they got money to burn. Mostly what i do nowadays is upgrading existing mopeds with serious battery and controller upgrades to make them really fast off the line. Like, 0-30mph in less then 6 seconds. Faster is no problem but then i have to replace the standard motor for something better thst raises the price quite a bit.
Not to many people are willing to burn ~15k on converting a petrol bike to a electric one so i mostly do mopeds and mountainbike upgrades and sometimes UPS battery upgrades so companies dont have change out a few grand worth of lead acid every year or 2.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:04 am

the dutch guy wrote:Motor is dependant on the desires of the customer as prices vary wildly.
Controllers is usually a kelly due to relative low cost and ease of programming and sometimes a sevcon if they got money to burn. Mostly what i do nowadays is upgrading existing mopeds with serious battery and controller upgrades to make them really fast off the line. Like, 0-30mph in less then 6 seconds. Faster is no problem but then i have to replace the standard motor for something better thst raises the price quite a bit.
Not to many people are willing to burn ~15k on converting a petrol bike to a electric one so i mostly do mopeds and mountainbike upgrades and sometimes UPS battery upgrades so companies dont have change out a few grand worth of lead acid every year or 2.

Sorry for the late reply...have been away cruising with SWMBO..!

Do you have any links for the above mentioned items please Sir..?

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:17 am

I only do custom stuff as a side buisiness next to my regular job. Cant keep the kettle on a single conversion per month or so.
I am working on a website but that is still a few weeks or months out.
If you are interested in what is possible vs your desires you can send me a private message.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Thequeenscheese » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:33 pm

There was some tidy electric scramblers on the last top gear pricey but looked good..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:There was some tidy electric scramblers on the last top gear pricey but looked good..

Yeah...I did see them.

I'm actually looking at doing a "silly-powerful" electric powered Go-Kart...something of at least 70kw..!! I just like the immediate torque available from an electric machine. There's a few BLDC motors around which can do this but I"m still up in the air with regards batteries, wiring and controller requirements etc...

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the dutch guy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 am

You need very high voltage in order to make a 70kW setup. It would also be impossible to control in any way. Trust me, 30kW is insane enough for a electric cart or even less. There is no way you can put down that amount of power. There is simply no tire you can buy that can handle the 1000+nm's of torkes being made by the motors. You would be in a infinite 4x4 drift. My daily driver moped has 5kW off the line with ~200+nm and i had to dial it back or fit a wheelybar in order to prevent doing a backflip in launch mode.

Please understand the difference between power and torkes. (Yes, i spell that wrong op purpose :mrgreen: ) you dont need a 100bhp electric motor to keep up with a 100bhp petrol one. Thanks to the torkes the electric will always win if it does not spin out and do a mile long burnout. There is no way to beat the instant torke a electric engine creates.
Personally i would start out with 15 to 20kW if you go rear wheel only. My guess is that you need to dial it back on launch considerably in order to keep it under control. There are only a few controllers that have torke mapping built in to control the launch off the line in this manner.

If there is interest for professional advice in building such a setup then i can help. I can build the custum battery needed for such a project and asvise with the controller selection.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:29 pm

the dutch guy wrote:You need very high voltage in order to make a 70kW setup. It would also be impossible to control in any way. Trust me, 30kW is insane enough for a electric cart or even less. There is no way you can put down that amount of power. There is simply no tire you can buy that can handle the 1000+nm's of torkes being made by the motors. You would be in a infinite 4x4 drift. My daily driver moped has 5kW off the line with ~200+nm and i had to dial it back or fit a wheelybar in order to prevent doing a backflip in launch mode.

Please understand the difference between power and torkes. (Yes, i spell that wrong op purpose :mrgreen: ) you dont need a 100bhp electric motor to keep up with a 100bhp petrol one. Thanks to the torkes the electric will always win if it does not spin out and do a mile long burnout. There is no way to beat the instant torke a electric engine creates.
Personally i would start out with 15 to 20kW if you go rear wheel only. My guess is that you need to dial it back on launch considerably in order to keep it under control. There are only a few controllers that have torke mapping built in to control the launch off the line in this manner.

If there is interest for professional advice in building such a setup then i can help. I can build the custum battery needed for such a project and asvise with the controller selection.

Really appreciate your info and knowledge...I shall be picking your brains for my next project/toy....I'm an aircraft engineer by trade and do indeed understand torque vs hp and I'm no novice when it comes to silly powerful Go-Karts though...I have a Full Afterburning Jet Powered Go-Kart with ~400hp....but it's as you say, a totally different kind of power to the instantaneous torque of an electric unit. My jet powered machine, although ridiculously powerful, is fairly slow-ish off the line...but at the other end it just keeps pushing and pushing hard, certainly gets your attention... :shock:

I'm sure a 15 or 20kw electric powered machine will make my kart look silly for the first part of a run...heck, even a little 100cc two stroke powered kart easily eats my jet off the line...but they soon run out of gears and/or revs...this is where the jet just doesn't care :mrgreen:

I might PM you so we don't continue to hi-jack this thread.....although I'd suggest we already have.. :oops: :oops:

Here's a few pics of my kart as it stands today:

Lord Knobrot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits