*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sluggish at starting?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Sluggish at starting?

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi the last couple of days the van has been struggling to start, I don't think it's battery related (new bat) or starter as it's turning over well but it's taking a few seconds to chug over and start, I'm going to whip the plugs out tomorrow (Don need a specific socket for that?) and I'll change the fuel filter / oil filter also, but if it's none of those what's most likely? I've tried warming the cylinders before starting it and it was the same it had also been driven and only turned off for a short time before that aswell?

Cheers john..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Sluggish at starting?

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:37 pm

New filter on hopefully that seems to have done the trick, oddly I thought the van had a neutral position sensor to limit revs, like my old navara had but now the new filters on she revs through 5000rpm with ease where as before she would act like there was a limiter on when out of gear..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:New filter on hopefully that seems to have done the trick, oddly I thought the van had a neutral position sensor to limit revs, like my old navara had but now the new filters on she revs through 5000rpm with ease where as before she would act like there was a limiter on when out of gear..
Hahaha when was the last time that filter was changed
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:06 pm

andz327 wrote:
Thequeenscheese wrote:New filter on hopefully that seems to have done the trick, oddly I thought the van had a neutral position sensor to limit revs, like my old navara had but now the new filters on she revs through 5000rpm with ease where as before she would act like there was a limiter on when out of gear..
Hahaha when was the last time that filter was changed

I bet this is the original one I wouldn't suprise me at all..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:13 pm

push clutch and its limited to 3k revs
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Makes sense
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Thequeenscheese » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 am

Currently stuck in travis perkins with the same issue as before won't start there us air in the fuel line so I'm thinking it's that and she's not able to instantly build pressure up to clear it?
She drove here fine I moved her in the yard fine the shop wouldn't start currently waiting for recovery....
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby the dutch guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 am

Yes, engines need fuel and air to work, they dont preform well if you only give them air.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Thequeenscheese » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:12 pm

The stupid bayonet ( why this isn't screw on who knows) ford filter had come loose ( or more likely I'd not got it on right in the first place :roll: ) and sucked air into the system, she's currently in the garage awaiting to be bled , I've also spotted a small leak on the return pipe I think maybe part of the starting issue if it's pulling a bit of air in.

But I have to say the bleed pump on top,of the filter is totally useless, why wouldn't ford just fit a bulb to aid an issue like this..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Thequeenscheese » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:04 pm

Still pulling a lot of air into the fuel,pipe from the filter to pump is there anywhere common faults on these? It's the ford metal filter not the paper one, garage suggesting filter housing maybe fubar, there's a diesel,leak from the leak back pipe also but I wouldn't have thought that would be it?
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Thequeenscheese » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Turns out the leak off/back pipe was split ..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:Still pulling a lot of air into the fuel,pipe from the filter to pump is there anywhere common faults on these? It's the ford metal filter not the paper one, garage suggesting filter housing maybe fubar, there's a diesel,leak from the leak back pipe also but I wouldn't have thought that would be it?

Yeah, filter housings can crack and/or become porous, also check the low pressure and leak-off lines and connections to/from the tank to filter head and filter head to pump.

You shouldn't need to bleed the Mk7's though, just fill the filter to the brim and wind her over, should bleed itself....you might have to repeat this a couple of times but she should eventually start.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:Turns out the leak off/back pipe was split ..

Ah...that'll do it..! :wink:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Thequeenscheese » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:37 pm

£78 quid for a leak off pipe robbing BLEEPIN BLEEPERS
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby adam75pl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Yeah, I’d get electric van next time, I think...
This post only expresses opinion of the author of today. It can not be used against him tomorrow, or any other day following that date. In addition, the author reserves the right to change his views, without prior notification.
T280 SWB 2.2 115PS
adam75pl
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits