*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 rwd front wheel bearing

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk7 rwd front wheel bearing

Postby maccavvy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi guys .

ive looked at some you tube videos but cant seem to get something for a mk7 front.

parts pics seem to have no wheel studs. i was thinking of just swapping the hub

any advice of places to buy etc most welcome
Mk8 310 trend FWD and a 5.7 ls1 monaro RWD
maccavvy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: mk7 rwd front wheel bearing

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Same as Mk6, FWD and RWD mostly the same bar driveshaft.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 pm

maccavvy wrote:Hi guys .

ive looked at some you tube videos but cant seem to get something for a mk7 front.

parts pics seem to have no wheel studs. i was thinking of just swapping the hub

any advice of places to buy etc most welcome

If you plan on doing it yourself they can be a bit of a ball-ache to change, the hub and bearing come out of the knuckle as an assembly, then getting the hub out of the bearing requires at fairly hefty press or a rather big lump hammer, even then sometimes the inner race of the bearing can stay on the hub shaft and require grinding to get it off.
I just replaced the whole assembly.... I bought two new hubs/studs and bearings from TPUK....pressed them together using my work's 20ton press, replaced one side as one side bearing was shot, I now have a complete spare assembly which takes around 1/2 hour to replace versus of many hours of swearing and broken knuckles... :wink: :mrgreen:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... g2ODgrMTMx

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-TRANSI ... SwSpxZ5ckE

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-TRANSI ... SwI-ZZb0~p

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby maccavvy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:51 pm

ive bought the flange bearing combo... my mates allowing me to use his garage sunday so i should be good . then have a press. are new studs needed ???
i havent ordered them
maccavvy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 pm

maccavvy wrote:ive bought the flange bearing combo... my mates allowing me to use his garage sunday so i should be good . then have a press. are new studs needed ???
i havent ordered them

You should be able to use your old studs if they're still in good nick...just whack or press 'em out of the old hub and whack or press 'em into the new one...I bought new ones but I could have used the old ones if required.

Sometimes with you poor buggers in the UK the bearing housing can corrode a bit making it difficult to remove from the knuckle, but a bit of elbow grease, (and BJT's famous #0001 removal tool), should see you sorted. :mrgreen:
A bit of copperslip on the bearing housing and the "dummy axle" splines when re-assembling will help keep the corrosion away.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 pm

knobby1 wrote:
maccavvy wrote:ive bought the flange bearing combo... my mates allowing me to use his garage sunday so i should be good . then have a press. are new studs needed ???
i havent ordered them

You should be able to use your old studs if they're still in good nick...just whack or press 'em out of the old hub and whack or press 'em into the new one...I bought new ones but I could have used the old ones if required.

Sometimes with you poor buggers in the UK the bearing housing can corrode a bit making it difficult to remove from the knuckle, but a bit of elbow grease, (and BJT's famous #0001 removal tool), should see you sorted. :mrgreen:
A bit of copperslip on the bearing housing and the "dummy axle" splines when re-assembling will help keep the corrosion away.

Lord Knobrot
Studs usually come with the new flange, there is somebody on ebay that sells flange and bearing already pressed on
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:27 pm

andz327 wrote:Studs usually come with the new flange, there is somebody on ebay that sells flange and bearing already pressed on

I had to buy the studs separately, none of the hubs I had seen on fleabay had them fitted.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 pm

knobby1 wrote:
andz327 wrote:Studs usually come with the new flange, there is somebody on ebay that sells flange and bearing already pressed on

I had to buy the studs separately, none of the hubs I had seen on fleabay had them fitted.

Lord Knobrot
That's cause yer fae doon there sir Image
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 am

Aye...that be the one...Although knocking a few studs in takes but a couple of minutes..!!

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby maccavvy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:54 am

parts have arrived and contrary to the pic it has studs installed.. so work and fit that then .
maccavvy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 am

A fox has more than one entrance to its den :wink:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby maccavvy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 am

as it happens wasn't too bad to change over . did it on my mates 2 post and had access to press too.

also spotted 2 shagged drop links and a worn track rod end. feels like a new van now
maccavvy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:14 am

maccavvy wrote:as it happens wasn't too bad to change over . did it on my mates 2 post and had access to press too.

also spotted 2 shagged drop links and a worn track rod end. feels like a new van now

Result..! :wink:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits