*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

"New" Mk 7!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

"New" Mk 7!

Postby Karst » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi Folks,

I decided recently to get a newer Transit, so I now have a 10 year old Mk 7 instead of a 17 year old Mk6.

Ignoring the fact that the dealer jet washed the inside of the cab and completely soaked the floor mat, causing me to have to spend a day removing it and drying the cab out, I was just wondering, The engine sounds like it's "knocking". I don't think diesels can actually do that (?) but it's just the sound I'm describing. It's a 2.2 litre 260, it's very nippy. Starts well, although not absolutely quite as well as my old Mk 6.

Any offers or thoughts?
Ford Transit Mk 7 Panel van, ex-posty's, 57 reg, 2007. Duratorq TDCI 2.2 (85PS)
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: "New" Mk 7!

Postby Altransit » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am

The first easy and cheap thing to check, is that the injector clamp bolts are tight :idea:

If they're not, that could be the source of the knocking, but you'll need to strip and replace some parts, as just tightening the bolts will be temporary at best, and they may snap :!: :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Karst » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Thank you Altransit..... Will be checking them imminently.....
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby invernessguy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Karst wrote:Thank you Altransit..... Will be checking them imminently.....

Get it back to the dealer and let them fix it. You have 30 days to return it if it’s not right. I’m sure the dealer will repair it for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remapped by Vantuner
Now located in Stirling!
invernessguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re:

Postby knobby1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 pm

invernessguy wrote:I’m sure the dealer will repair it for you Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreaming a bit there aren't you..?? :wink: :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby invernessguy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:35 pm

Well hopefully, but you do have the law on your side here, can return faulty goods. Unless sold as seen, dealer has to fix it within 30 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remapped by Vantuner
Now located in Stirling!
invernessguy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Altransit, invernessguy, and knobby,

Thank you for your answers :D

I passed by my trusted mechanic of many, many years today and asked about the sound of the engine, and he said it is completely normal for a Mk7 engine. Do you still think I should check the injector clamps?

BATTERY SPARKS ..... When I reconnect the battery, is it normal for big sparks to jump across, or is it a sign of an abnormal drain?? Don't seem to get the same sparks when I disconnect.

REVERSE GEAR ...... Does a Mk7 have a dodgy reverse gear? This one has only done 80,000 miles. This evening I suddenly couldn't get reverse gear. Am I not pushing the lever over enough, before I pull it back into reverse??

Karst.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Karst wrote:Hi Altransit, invernessguy, and knobby,

Thank you for your answers :D

I passed by my trusted mechanic of many, many years today and asked about the sound of the engine, and he said it is completely normal for a Mk7 engine. Do you still think I should check the injector clamps?

BATTERY SPARKS ..... When I reconnect the battery, is it normal for big sparks to jump across, or is it a sign of an abnormal drain?? Don't seem to get the same sparks when I disconnect.

REVERSE GEAR ...... Does a Mk7 have a dodgy reverse gear? This one has only done 80,000 miles. This evening I suddenly couldn't get reverse gear. Am I not pushing the lever over enough, before I pull it back into reverse??

Karst.

Mk7 engines are a little "diesel knocky" when cold, but if running well should be fairly/reasonably quiet when warm....We must remember, they're still diesel engines, just be thankful it's not an old Di engine. :wink:

Don't know about the battery sparks, mine doesn't do that though..

With the reverse gear issue, the gear cables might need adjusting, or the gearbox selector turret bearing is starting to fail...common on FWD's.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Karst » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Ok, so, still in the middle of fitting up the inside with plywood.

The van goes in to my long-term and very trusted mechanic on Monday.

Apparently the warranty covers only the gearbox and engine, so we'll see how that pans out.

Very interesting dodging in between the snow and the cold, and now the rain.

Using the stuff from Lear Corporation on the rust again. I think it proved itself as after I started using it on the other van my annual welding bill was reduced by 90%.

Haven't got any further with checking for battery drain yet, but will get to it.

:) :D
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re:

Postby Karst » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:08 pm

You have no idea how much bother that dealer caused me by soaking the main floor mat in the cab.

I'm having to dump it because it has a sizeable hole in it under the driver's feet, and there's nowhere for me to dry a filthy beast like that.

So I got one from a breaker's. It arrived wet! Not as much as the first one, and also no wear-holes in it. What a nightmare! I've had it hanging upside down over the passenger seats, which I had to remove to get the mat out, in my mum's conservatory for the last week. Had to buy fan heaters and use a big fan plus an electric heater to encourage it to dry, and ended up slicing it open because it was taking so long.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nB0sfwAz6vs1r2H22

It still isn't fully dry.

One thing which I don't get, with all the tech and expense that goes into manufacturing a van, why (the hell) not make that sponge water-repellent??? That foam sits directly on the painted metal surface of the cab floor, and if it gets wet there is literally almost completely nowhere for that water to dry out. Like it's engineered to cause your cab floor to go rusty.

Does anybody know specifically where I could get either a new or good second hand main floor mat? I mean, this one only cost me £45 so I suppose you get what you pay for. I only need the very base, I don't need all the doodars that go up the sides.

Thanks Folks.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Can anyone recommend a solvent based water repellent spray I could use on it that won't dissolve the foam?
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Re:

Postby mike10 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Karst wrote:Does anybody know specifically where I could get either a new or good second hand main floor mat?

Try here: https://www.fordpartsuk.com/rubber-floor-covering-rhd

It says it is for a Southampton built van, but when I contacted them they said the only difference they could see between that one and the one for the Turkey built vans was a very slight difference in colour. Looks like the Turkey built ones are out of stock though as they are only listing the one in the link at the moment.
mike10
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Re:

Postby Karst » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:33 am

mike10 wrote:
Karst wrote:Does anybody know specifically where I could get either a new or good second hand main floor mat?

Try here: https://www.fordpartsuk.com/rubber-floor-covering-rhd

It says it is for a Southampton built van, but when I contacted them they said the only difference they could see between that one and the one for the Turkey built vans was a very slight difference in colour. Looks like the Turkey built ones are out of stock though as they are only listing the one in the link at the moment.

Thank you Mike.

That would be great :) Unfortunately, it's too much money for me at the moment.

I heard back from the mechanic yesterday..... He says it needs a new gearbox and there's an oil leak from the turbocharger :| :cry: :shock:
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:38 am

What's the problem with the gearbox :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Karst » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:43 pm

The mechanic I just took it to looked at the linkages and there were bolt missing. So he put bolts in, and it seems ok. But the whole van is a lemon. Probably £1,000 or so to get it sorted. It's also an MOT failure, so this dealer and his mate who fiddled the MOY are about to get into big do do.

There's a nasty oil leak from the turbocharger (MOT failure), issues with the brake discs, 3 rust holes that are MOT failures, a leak in the fuel tank, and a number of other things. The "welding" they did to it was found out to be made of fibreglass and shoddily done (MOT failure).

It came to me with a year's MOT.

I have spoken with the CAB and these problems have nothing to do with a warranty, they are simply about the van being fit for purpose. It is not so it is classed as breach of contract.

Tomorrow I shall be straight on to Trading Standards and the DVSA,
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits