*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lost remote, key wont disarm alarm

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Lost remote, key wont disarm alarm

Postby Trannygrandad » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Some times modern technology is too clever by half, I have lost/misplaced the remote to my 55 plate bus. I tried to use the key to unlock the drivers door, ( only keyhole),. would not work, opened passenger door ok but alarm went off. put key in ignition, would not switch alarm off till I ran engine for a few seconds & revved up, tried side pass door,would not open. tried rear doors opened but set alarm off after trying several things. alarm would not turn off at all. in the end it eventually stopped. but the hazards were working & would not turn off.
So as not to set it off again I had to exit through the passenger window. Bus is across the road in a car park. got tools, got back through window. took battery terminals off, both batteries, making sure link lead between positives was also removed to avoid shorting. Everything dead, everything quiet. thats some decibels when you are behind the drivers seat seeing to the batteries, the alarm seems to be in the side panel right by your earhole!!
So question is if I get a new remote, will the alarm go off again once reconnected, before I can program the new remote, or, will the alarm be disabled now its disconnected, and revert to just key locking only
Don,with fond (&other) memories of Transits from 1st pickup wayback when there were no motorways
Fave '73 with 3lt V6 , overdrive & sawn off Luton & 16ft box trailer,oh & twin fuel tanks. Exeter to Scotland return trip without refuelling,
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Lost remote, key wont disarm alarm

Postby Trannygrandad » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm

I suppose there must be some logic here but I dont quite see it, with battery still disconnected, I can unlock drivers door, but no others are open able from outside, but if I get in I can open the passenger front door from inside, which will then also open from the outside, same with the rear doors, but side rear sliding door wont open at all. When locking drivers door again with key, front passenger door has to be locked using the inside lock/unlock lever below handle.
Don,with fond (&other) memories of Transits from 1st pickup wayback when there were no motorways
Fave '73 with 3lt V6 , overdrive & sawn off Luton & 16ft box trailer,oh & twin fuel tanks. Exeter to Scotland return trip without refuelling,
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:15 pm

you cant diable the alram with removing the battery. that kinda defeats the purpose of the alarm.
programming a fob should fix it.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trannygrandad » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:59 pm

As soon as I reconnect the battery the alarm sounds & putting the key in the ignition does not turn off the alarm,
So do I reconnect the battery & program the new remote while the alarm is operating?, not going to be popular with the neighbors!
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 pm

As long as you dont do it at 3 in the bloody morning you should be fine. :mrgreen:
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trannygrandad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Had the AA out this morning, they have an affiliated team of auto locksmiths, Glad I did not try to program a new remote myself. The alarm, horn is inside the drivers door rear pillar, so all covers had to be unscrewed & horn silenced. But still alarm would not disarm, ( got its own rechargeable battery) he could not program till it did disarm which took several attempts, so I left him to it, as it was bitterly cold.
So although I had to pay for the remote (£138) at least I did not have the aggro.
As the vehicle is a van derived ford wheelchair adapted product with hydraulic tail lift (Turkish factory) and not a bus model, the drivers hand book is not very helpful. He said it was a Ford upgraded alarm and he had only seen one other like it.
Good old Ford!!

PS. this remote with the same weak keyring loops in plastic, wont be going on the keyring. It will be on a ribbon around my neck inside my shirt ( except for when I am working on a running engine, dont want strangling) It may just last longer!
Trannygrandad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits