*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Injector leak off pipe & o-rings refit

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Injector leak off pipe & o-rings refit

Postby emanresu » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Have just replaced the green o-rings on the injector leak-off pipe. It was fiddly to get the o-rings on to the pipe, but all 4 went on ok. I used a bit of white grease to ease them on.

When I went to reattach the pipes, they didn't want to clip back into the injectors so I gave them a tap with a rubber mallet.

Now I have noticed that the o-rings are squashed up and slightly visible with the pipe reattached, one of them has also pinched and a frayed bit is protruding. Basically it looks a bit of a mess and I think it is unlikely to be air-tight.

I'm sure I ordered the correct part (albeit from an ebay seller with positive feedback for these o-rings), but the new o-rings had a smaller centre hole and a wider cross-section than the old ones. I put that down to the old o-rings having been stretched. The new ones seemed the same when they were attached to the pipe.

What's the correct procedure for replacing these o-rings and reconnecting the pipes?

Should I have first placed the o-ring in the injector and then pushed in the pipe?
Transit 2.4 RWD 100 T350L mk7 TDCI 2006
emanresu
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Injector leak off pipe & o-rings refit

Postby grogan197 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Sounds like the new ones are the wrong size to me. I haven't changed them on my MK7 but when I have on the MK6 the old and new O-rings looked identical in size. Be very careful if one has frayed as if any bits break off and get into the fuel system then they could block an injector up.
2006 MK6 2.0 125 TDCI - Luton Camper Conversion
2007 MK7 2.2 110 TDCI SWB

Ford Diagnostics
Where to buy an ELM327 and how to use with ForScan
grogan197
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Punto443 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Never had a bother with them?

Slide out the green clip, pull off the cap, swap the o-ring and gently push on with a slight twisting motion, then slide the green locking clip back over.

Must have done it a few times now without any bother.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Punto443 wrote:Never had a bother with them?

Slide out the green clip, pull off the cap, swap the o-ring and gently push on with a slight twisting motion, then slide the green locking clip back over.

Must have done it a few times now without any bother.

Likewise here, bought a set of the injector copper sealing rings and little green 'O' rings from TPUK when I was fumbling about with my injectors....I did exactly what Puno said....they went on fine with a little vaseline and have been leak free since.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/O-E-FORD-FU ... Swal5YHIYe

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Airthies » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:17 am

Only thing I'd add is generaly not to use vasilene as it's parafin based and can affect the rubber of most O'rings by making it swell and go soft over time.
Though it's unlikely to of happened that quickly to cause your issues.

A small smear of either engine oil or even just diesel when fitting them onto the plastic fittings and again into the injectors with a wee wobble or twist to get them down into the seat.

Generally for all O'rings use the oil that they're going to be in contact with depending what part your working on

Sent from my anu5 using crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby emanresu » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 pm

The connectors were a real pig to get out when I was disconnecting, managed to snap a couple of the tabs on top of the connectors. So when I tried reconnecting I did give them a twist & wiggle to zero effect. Fearing I'd break something a bit more important, I used the rubber mallet to give the short sharp shock treatment...which seemed to do the trick nicely...until closer inspection proved otherwise!

! was able to complete the pilot correction and drive without any issues so far with this mangled set-up. So they are doing the job for the time being.

I'll order a new set from ford this time, hopefully they'll be the correct size, then I'll (carefully) give it another go.

Thanks for all the helpful tips :)
Transit 2.4 RWD 100 T350L mk7 TDCI 2006
emanresu
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits