*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 diesel Trouble

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 diesel Trouble

Postby Overit8 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:58 am

Hi all the problem im having is when I turn the key it won't crank no click no noise at all the battery is new. I had an auto sparky have a look he said because the battery went flat it lost its key program so I got a locksmith out he had no luck
Its a 2004 Diesel rwd I live in Australia and can't seem to get anybody who knows what's going wrong so any help would be appreciated
Overit8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk6 diesel Trouble

Postby chris72a » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 am

you've obviously checked the earth from the battery to the body and also the battery leads themselves do the lights on dash come on, radio work lights etc.. if you have 2 batteries under seat the front one is the starter battery, (at least mine is) Where in Aus are you?

Cheers
Chris.
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby grogan197 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Does the LED on the dash stay flashing when you turn the key in the ignition?
2006 MK6 2.0 125 TDCI - Luton Camper Conversion
2007 MK7 2.2 110 TDCI SWB

Ford Diagnostics
Where to buy an ELM327 and how to use with ForScan
grogan197
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Overit8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:14 am

[quote="grogan197"]Does the LED on the dash stay flashing when you turn the key in the ignition?[/quote

No the light when I turn the key in ignition turns solid red and stays that way for about 40 seconds then starts to flash
sorry I took so long to answer
Overit8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Overit8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:27 am

Hi chris72a Yes I have checked the earth all seems good the dash lights come on the radio turns on
when I tryed the lights a alarm sounds under the dash and lights won't work only have one battery which is new I live in Hervey Bay Qld. Also sorry to take so long to answer you couldn't find the post
Overit8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:41 am

Overit8 wrote:Hi chris72a Yes I have checked the earth all seems good the dash lights come on the radio turns on
when I tryed the lights a alarm sounds under the dash and lights won't work only have one battery which is new I live in Hervey Bay Qld. Also sorry to take so long to answer you couldn't find the post

Hervey Bay eh..?? My old man lives up that way...Chris and I are down Sydney way, he's up the Blue Mountains and I'm ~50km SW of Sydney.

Is your beast a 135hp engine per chance..?? Does it have a "TDCi" badge on the grill..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Overit8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:04 am

Yes it has TDCi badge on the grill and 135 on the door trim this is my first Diesel Ford
I know nothing about it and it's driving me nowhere but crazy
Last edited by Overit8 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overit8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby rebuilder86 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:14 am

Hey im in perth, i drive a 1999 mk 5 diesel turbo.
dont take this as gospel, but im pretty sure disconnecton of the battery shouldnt require reprogramming of any key.
Perhasp a god test is to see if the motor will crank if you jump the starter motor solenoid from the battery.
To do this, u attach a jumper lead to the smaller positive terminal on the starter motor, and the other end to the positive on the battery.
Starter motors do just give way, and they often do so during times of battery issues. One causes the other, and vice versa.
For example, a dead battery with low cranking output, can actually damage a starter motor armature by putting out low voltage, which jsut burns it up.
and vice versa, the damage this does to teh starter, can dmage any othe rbattery then put in its place. So sometimes u have to replace both.
Often customers complain about this because they feel they are paying for unneccesary items, but the reality is both occur becasue of each other.
Saying that, u are not even hearing a click, which sais to me that the solenoid is not being energized, but this can also be a result of a poor connection. It does take a considerable current to push the solenoid magnet to close the contacts.
Personally, ive experienced 3 vehciles, where the wiring loom has had corrosion which leads to tempremental no start conditions. Usualy when these conditions exist, the starting attemps, result in power being lost all together, in a single battery system. Once the electrons try to mvoe acros the corrosion at a high current and they cannot, they just stop all together and everythign turns off until either the connection is restored, or the electrons get a mind of their own and decide theyre good to go.
electrical isues are complicated but a simple diagnosis from a sparky should be able to find the issue, and i dont believe it will be key related.
rebuilder86
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:19 am

Overit8 wrote:Yes it has TDCi badge on the grill and 135 on the door trim this is my first Diesel Ford

All your starting issues could just be a duff ignition switch..!! A well known problem with some trannys.

Ah a TDCi....that means it's the "Son of Satan"...The Mk6 TDCi machines are well known to be "temperamental" at best...They're also well known for killing injectors and fuel pumps... :(

Might pay to get a new fuel filter, pop the old fuel filter off and cut if open to see if there's any metal swarf in there.

Our Ned will be along later to fill you in further..! He's in the UK so he's probably asleep as we speak..!

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Overit8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:43 am

Thanks rebuilder86 I will give that a go. I do understand what you're saying with one problem causing another
I have payed a sparky and the locksmith and I have got no where accept lighter pockets
Overit8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Overit8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:51 am

knobby1 wrote:
Overit8 wrote:Yes it has TDCi badge on the grill and 135 on the door trim this is my first Diesel Ford

All your starting issues could just be a duff ignition switch..!! A well known problem with some trannys.

Ah a TDCi....that means it's the "Son of Satan"...The Mk6 TDCi machines are well known to be "temperamental" at best...They're also well known for killing injectors and fuel pumps... :(

Might pay to get a new fuel filter, pop the old fuel filter off and cut if open to see if there's any metal swarf in there.

Our Ned will be along later to fill you in further..! He's in the UK so he's probably asleep as we speak..!

Lord Knobrot

Have put new fuel on that's when I found out it wouldn't start I will cut the old filter and have a look to see if it has got any metal in it. Do you have to reprogram a new ignition switch
im off to do some cuting now
Overit8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Overit8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:11 am

Well cut the filter open and it hasn't got any swarf in it
Didn't have any luck with getting to the starter motor can't quite get to it
Overit8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 am

Did you fill the new filter to the brim with fresh fuel before you fitted it??

New ignition switch is "plug & play".

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Overit8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 am

Yes filled new filter up. Be for putting new filter on i had the old one off to have a look at it then put it back on while waiting for new filter.
Well thats good news on ignition. And I have called it a lot more than "son of satan"
Overit8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 am

Overit8 wrote:
grogan197 wrote:Does the LED on the dash stay flashing when you turn the key in the ignition?[/quote

No the light when I turn the key in ignition turns solid red and stays that way for about 40 seconds then starts to flash
sorry I took so long to answer

You have an imobilizer and or key problem as the red light should go out :wink: You need to get the codes read :idea:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits