*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 ASM

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 ASM

Postby GoatTree » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 am

I feel extremely dumb.

I'm just bought a 2003 2.4L Diesel with ASM gearbox. I cannot for the life of me figure out all the tricks of using the ASM gearbox. I thought I was good with vehicles, but i'm questioning everything.

What are the 3 different gear modes? I'm assuming there is the "weight carrying" mode, "Economy" mode, and "Cold"? mode? I'm in Brisbane Australia so I assume I won't need the cold mode.

Is there no "Park" gear on the ASM? If I park on a hill and my parking brake fails, will the Transit roll away?

The reverse gear requires 2 taps. If I don't move straight away, it shifts back into neutral gear. Is this normal? Do I need to keep accelerating in order to keep the vehicle in Reverse gear?

Anything else I should know about daily operation?
GoatTree

Re: Mk6 ASM

Postby knobby1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:14 pm

My knowledge of the ASM gearbox is poor at best, but... I think the first thing people need to understand is the ASM is "NOT" an automatic gearbox...it's actually a modified MT-75 manual gearbox with an automatically actuated clutch and shift mechanism. There is no "Park" as such.

As far as the different modes go...I'm none the wiser. :oops: :oops:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Frag » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Weight,
Economy
Snow

Double tap for reverse is a normal safety feature.

It's not an auto,normal manual box with hydraulic clutch and gear selection,
It will roll back on a hill if you don't apply brake or keep revs up
(Tho this will slip the clutch as a normal manual if your not moving)

It should shift into 1st gear when you stop and key off I believe,so as to lock driveline when 'Parked'
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby GoatTree » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks Frag. That's really helpful. Appreciate it. Anything else I should know about the van as a new owner? I imagine there'll be lots of things i'll discover as I continue driving it.
GoatTree

Postby chris72a » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:13 pm

I have the ASM, I am in sydney never used the 3 modes just stays in economy when I first got it I played with the different modes couldn't really tell any difference. I "believe" that when you switch ignition off it will stay in gear I have a rather steep driveway and it will hold without the hand brake but wouldn't rely on it. It is PITA to change gearbox oil. Mine is the same with the reverse switch if you don't move for a bit it will go back to neutral.

Cheers
Chris.
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ossie cossie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 am

I also have one, im in Perth WA, mine has a few issues, but nothing that,s too big a problem (at the moment) I think that when you put it in weight mode it holds the gears longer.
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits