*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Don't know whats wrong, sick of getting run around

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Don't know whats wrong, sick of getting run around

Postby msg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:28 am

Transit 2008 TDI 2.4 Diesel (Motorhome)
Have travelled all around Australia and never had a serious problem. Have been told I have serious problems though, costing a lot of money.

1. When I first got the van in 2011, the engine management light kept coming on every 300ks or so. replaced EGR, Fuel filters, Told Turbo underboost problem, spent a lot of time and money visiting a lot of dealerships on the east coast. Finally found a dealer who employed a technician who used to service the KEA fleet (Motorhome part). In half an hour he had remapped the engine and I have never had a problem since. Estimated that little episode cost me around $2k. Not happy Jan.

2. It blows a small amount of black smoke when accellerating. Dealerships (2) have not found a cause. Given up as runs quite well. $600
Local mechanic told me the engine was getting old and worn out (at 150,000ks?) was stuffed and would need replacing. Gave that one a miss.

3. Latest one: Took into dealership for big sevice last week. It had had a hard trip, dirt bush roads and you could hardly find the motor for the bulldust. They apparently did a service ,checked & cleaned everything. Report said, no faults perfect condition. $900. OK that makes me happy. Don't want to get stuck with problem when I am outback and nearest town is 200ks away. But, and there is always a but. When I drove it home and it got to about 80kph there is a noise. Took it back, went for a test drive with mechanic and he agreed that indeed there is a wipp wipp noise. What could it be I asked? Might be tyres, might be wheel bearing, might be shocks don't know. Hes Not interested.

Now, I have had the problem of scrubbing tyres for a while. Thought thats where I'll start. Get two front tyres and a wheel alignment. Easy. Peasy. Probably could do with new front tyres anyway. Would you believe, most tyre outlets are not equipped to do an alignment on a transit. Found one 30ks away, but their tyres were double the price. $280 each.

Even if I do replace the tyres, personally I don't think that is the problem. Wheel bearing? dealership checked them when they did the service - no problem. Shocks? they supposedly checked everything underneath. Wheel bearings $1300 to replace one. Havn't priced shocks but no doubt costly.

Even if I get all this done there is no guarantee that what ever is making the noise will be fixed. I'm sure the repair places will happily accept my money. However, I don't want to part with it unless it's necessary. and I certainly won't be happy if it breaks down out in the outback (where you cannot even phone for a towtruck). Doesn't do the nerves any good.

So, was wondering if there is anyone out there who can point me in a direction where I won't get the "Well, we think it is this, we'll just replace... answer which becomes the answer ad infinitum forever over many $1000's.

Thank you for reading my rant. YES I am very happy with my little home would recommend TRANSITS to anyone. Its just service issues I have a problem with.
msg

Re: Don't know whats wrong, sick of getting run around

Postby knobby1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Whereabouts in Aus are you..?? 150,000kms is nothing for a Transit engine, she's just run-in..!

Most common failing points on a Mk7 are EGR valve, SCV & PRV. A duff EGR valve can indeed cause running issues & stray smoke etc..It usually comes up during a diagnostic check as not only a faulty EGR but also a faulty MAP/MAF and/or turbo overboost/underboost fault codes.

Front wheel bearing failures are also reasonably common and do indeed cause front tyre scrubbing, I had the same trouble when I first bought my Mk7, both front tyres were scrubbing as if the van was "toe-ing out" and she was pulling slightly left on a straight level road, wheel alignment check said otherwise, turned out to be a dying wheel bearing, has been fine since I replaced the offending item and tyres are now wearing normally and she now tracks straight, ...the bearings also get progressively louder the worse they get, in bad cases they can collapse, but this is rare. They can feel and sound OK when jacked up with no load when checking them... but are noisy when the weight of the van is applied to them.

Most of the normal major tyre outlets here in Aus are usually just setup for cars and small vans/commercial vehicles....large Transit vans like the LWB Hi-roof, Jumbos and motor-homes are considered to be "trucks" here in Aus. I buy and fit my own tyres at home as I found as you did, they just can't accommodate a larger van or motor-home.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby msg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:45 pm

Thank you Nobby

At the moment I am in the ACT. Will be heading north to Quilpie again as soon as the weather improves.

Thats why I walked away. My little trouper will keep going for a while yet.

Yep. They were the were the fault codes. At the time, I was new to the trannie and believed them. So they happily went about replacing things. Had the EGR replaced and when the light came on again 300ks later, they wanted to do it again.

Front wheel bearings. Yep. Just doesn't sound like that..yet. Have had LHF replaced recently.

As I have found out. Been replacing tyres on the run. They haven't been able to do wheel alignments so I just let it go. You would think Yass with all the trucks going by on the Hume there would be one who could do it. Nope. Unfortunately, I can't even lift a tyre, so no hope doing it at home. Its one of the things that terrify me when I'm outback. Getting a flat. Just have to be very careful where & how I drive it. Never go out alone and always let the local cops know where I'm going. Gidgee sticks are out there just lying in wait to slice some poor tyre to pieces. Not to mention Kangaroos, emus, dingos, wild dogs and snakes. Fortunately, I can last out there for about a month and be quite OK. If I don't turn up by then, somebody will come looking.

Turbo Underboost. Was told to replace turbo. (wouldn't/didn't do it.) and its still going strong after 7 years. That little episode got me a tow 400ks. They ended up replacing the fuel pump. Gotta do something. right? and 300ks later the engine management light came on again.

I would just like those so called Xspurts to do a bit of work and find the problem with a bit of certainty rather than say this may be the problem so we'll replace it and see if that works. The van has spent a lot of time in workshops, and there has been nothing really wrong with it. Just the imagination of the diagnostic machine. Oh for the days when you could fix things yourself. Just so frustrated with repairers.
msg

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 am

I hear ya...Quilpie in QLD..?? Geeze...that's in the middle of nowhere..!

I'm in Campbelltown ~50km SW of Sydney, if you pass this way in your travels and I'm not away somewhere, I can at least have a look at your Tranny, check wheel bearings etc......and even plug her in to IDS or Forscan see what's going on.... and look for anything obvious.

Mk7 TDCi pumps rarely fail...it's usually the electronic bits attached to the engines which fail...EGR's are unfortunately a common failing point. Sometimes even "new" ones fail.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby msg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 am

Thanks Nobby. Would love to visit. Unfortunately I avoid Sydney like the plague. Usually go up the middle either through Emerald to Rocky or Gundi through to Brisbane. Brisbane has become a madhouse of late too. Give me the nice quieter outback roads any day.
msg

Postby msg » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 am

Oh, I used to be a city driver doing the daily 2hr commute. Madness. But you gotta do it. Now I like the peace and quite. Might have lost my nerve In my old age. LOL
msg

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:42 am

msg wrote:Thanks Nobby. Would love to visit. Unfortunately I avoid Sydney like the plague. Usually go up the middle either through Emerald to Rocky or Gundi through to Brisbane. Brisbane has become a madhouse of late too. Give me the nice quieter outback roads any day.

Totally understand...I get stuck in the daily commute regularly...but we have to work..! :(

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ml Autos » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 pm

OMG does it realy take so long to find and replace a split boost pipe.
Whistling noise, black smoke and underboost !! What other symptoms do you need?
Ml Autos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby msg » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 am

Well, at least you have suggested something else. Though its not a whistling noise. :D
msg

Postby Maxximus » Sat May 16, 2020 2:53 am

knobby1 wrote:I hear ya...Quilpie in QLD..?? Geeze...that's in the middle of nowhere..!

I'm in Campbelltown ~50km SW of Sydney, if you pass this way in your travels and I'm not away somewhere, I can at least have a look at your Tranny, check wheel bearings etc......and even plug her in to IDS or Forscan see what's going on.... and look for anything obvious.

Mk7 TDCi pumps rarely fail...it's usually the electronic bits attached to the engines which fail...EGR's are unfortunately a common failing point. Sometimes even "new" ones fail.

Lord Knobrot

Hey knobby 1,
I’m in port macquarie and am chewing through front tyres every 10-15000 kms. I got a vm08 dual cab chassis tipper. Would love to come and see you next time I’m in Sydney and get you to sus out the bearings etc..... can u help?
Michael MaXXimus
Vm08 dual cab chassis tipper
Don't know how to add an image
Maxximus

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits