*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel timing fault problem ok when cleared but returns

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Fuel timing fault problem ok when cleared but returns

Postby JohnnyVegas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi everyone,

2.4Di Duratorq 125ps engine 2002

I recently had to change the timing belt cover due to it being damaged but that's another story, which consisted of removing all auxiliary belts and a few pulleys.
It did not involve removing the timing chain or even touching it!
So everything went back together ok but when I went to start it up it was terrible. Really struggled to get it started but if I held the engine revs it ran better once warmed up.
I noticed a load of white smoke which didn't clear much even when warm so decided to get my F-Super reader out to see if anything was showing.

I got the "fuel timing error" fault which sort of explained the white smoke and the rough startup.
So I cleared the fault code and it ran ok for a mile then it sounded a bit rough again although not as bad. Plugged in the code reader and the fault had come back.
Cleared it again and it was ok but noticed it came back at about 2000 revs.
Does anyone know what it could be please?
JohnnyVegas
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Fuel timing fault problem ok when cleared but returns

Postby knobby1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:18 pm

JohnnyVegas wrote:Hi everyone,

2.4Di Duratorq 125ps engine 2002

I recently had to change the timing belt cover due to it being damaged but that's another story, which consisted of removing all auxiliary belts and a few pulleys.
It did not involve removing the timing chain or even touching it!
So everything went back together ok but when I went to start it up it was terrible. Really struggled to get it started but if I held the engine revs it ran better once warmed up.
I noticed a load of white smoke which didn't clear much even when warm so decided to get my F-Super reader out to see if anything was showing.

I got the "fuel timing error" fault which sort of explained the white smoke and the rough startup.
So I cleared the fault code and it ran ok for a mile then it sounded a bit rough again although not as bad. Plugged in the code reader and the fault had come back.
Cleared it again and it was ok but noticed it came back at about 2000 revs.
Does anyone know what it could be please?

I'm afraid a 2002 2.4 125 PS engine doesn't have a timing belt..??

Sounds like you have a fuel pump timing solenoid failure...what was the fault code number..?? P1664..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits