*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Not charging!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Not charging!

Postby Digrizrat » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Had adventures with flat batteries, and decided to take the van to a mechanic instead of crawling around in the cold. F'ing useless idea that was.

They claimed it was the alternator, and rebuilt it with new bushes and bearings.

Got 5 miles up the road and the not charging warning light came on again! So I turned around and came straight back home. Getting stuck a few days back has taught me a little caution.

Just to be double sure I wasn't the problem, I disconnected all my camper wiring at the power take off bolts. Warning light still comes on

They'll have an unhappy customer waiting for them tomorrow morning. But in the meantime, anyone else have charging problems around 5 years old /140k miles? What are the likely faults?
Digrizrat
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Not charging!

Postby ake » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Alternators on our front wheel drives last about 90k miles
Never changed one on our rear wheel drives!
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby the dutch guy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Is the belt at the right tension?

Right now i get the alternator light when i engage the aircon. Off no problem.
So my belt is slipping. Might be your problem as well.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Digrizrat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Should probably update this, even though it's been a while. I needed to be 5 countries away and took off as soon as I had it fixed.

They'd rebuilt the alternator with new bearings, bushes, and other good stuff inside, then sprayed it with nice grey paint. It had paint splatter on the external plug contacts, where the computer connects. causing the computer not to be able to read or control it. Scraping the paint off the contacts and replacing the plug fixed it.

Interestingly, they claimed without connection to the computer, it reverts to a dumb alternator at fixed 13.8v. and it's safe to drive forever with that control cable disconnected.

Hope that helps anyone else reading the forum.
Digrizrat
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits