*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 juddering/jolting/kangarooing under light acceleration

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk7 juddering/jolting/kangarooing under light acceleration

Postby prototype3 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi all,

I've seen a few post about similar issues, but none of the symptoms are identical and the suggested causes seem infinite

I've got a mk7 125 fwd which feels to run fine (a teeny bit rattly), it idles fine and pulls nicely through all the gears. But once it's warmed up it's a different story. Doing around 40 in 4th, if I lightly press the accelerator to maintain speed it starts bucking and jolting like it's about to stall but it never does - it goes away if I let off the accelerator or floor it.

It's about due a service, but I'm wondering if anyone's got any suggestions as to what it might be?

Any recommendations on where to have it serviced in the North East?

Cheers
2013 Ford Transit 2.2 125 300 Euro5
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk7 juddering/jolting/kangarooing under light accelerati

Postby knobby1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:52 am

prototype3 wrote:Hi all,

I've seen a few post about similar issues, but none of the symptoms are identical and the suggested causes seem infinite

I've got a mk7 125 fwd which feels to run fine (a teeny bit rattly), it idles fine and pulls nicely through all the gears. But once it's warmed up it's a different story. Doing around 40 in 4th, if I lightly press the accelerator to maintain speed it starts bucking and jolting like it's about to stall but it never does - it goes away if I let off the accelerator or floor it.

It's about due a service, but I'm wondering if anyone's got any suggestions as to what it might be?

Cheers

Mk7 125 will be a Euro-V methinks..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby prototype3 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:18 am

knobby1 wrote:
prototype3 wrote:Hi all,

Cheers

Mk7 125 will be a Euro-V methinks..??

Lord Knobrot

Yes that's the one, any thoughts? :?
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:09 pm

prototype3 wrote:Yes that's the one, any thoughts? :?

Not really, know very little about the Euro-V...if it was a Euro-IV, I might be able to help. :oops:

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WarrenB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Mine does it occasionally, same engine, Euro 5 125. Usually just pootling along at at about 2k revs with very light throttle. It's never bad enough to feel like it's going to stall though, and doesn't do it all the time, but when it does it's only just noticeable.

I've asked around about it before, seems to be fairly common so I've just put up with it.
WarrenB
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby prototype3 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:17 pm

WarrenB wrote:Mine does it occasionally, same engine, Euro 5 125. Usually just pootling along at at about 2k revs with very light throttle. It's never bad enough to feel like it's going to stall though, and doesn't do it all the time, but when it does it's only just noticeable.

I've asked around about it before, seems to be fairly common so I've just put up with it.

Yeah it's intermittent - seems to be when the engine's warm and it's cold outside, it's been a lot warmer today and it didn't happen at all. There are lots of people with 2.2 tdci's talking about similar issues, doesn't seem to be just transits. It's quite a violent judder when it happens though, perhaps a good service might at least calm it down a bit.
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby adam75pl » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 pm

I have same issue, not that bad but someone told me that it could be faulty engine mount...
This post only expresses opinion of the author of today. It can not be used against him tomorrow, or any other day following that date. In addition, the author reserves the right to change his views, without prior notification.
T280 SWB 2.2 115PS
adam75pl
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby prototype3 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 pm

adam75pl wrote:I have same issue, not that bad but someone told me that it could be faulty engine mount...

Yeah I've read that too, I'll have a look at the mounts. Fingers crossed it's that straight forward! Somehow I doubt it :roll:
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:03 pm

Code read it,if you have no dtcs or faults current,
Reset the high pressure fuel learn values,and the injector learn values.
You cannot do injector pilot correction learn routine on a stage 5,
It will do a re-learn on the next drive cycle.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby prototype3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Frag wrote:Code read it,if you have no dtcs or faults current,
Reset the high pressure fuel learn values,and the injector learn values.
You cannot do injector pilot correction learn routine on a stage 5,
It will do a re-learn on the next drive cycle.

Thanks, sounds promising - must admit it's all a bit beyond me. I've recently ordered an elm327 set up to work with FORscan, could I do all those things with that? Or is it a VCM/IDS thing?

Or is it something I should leave to a professional? :wink:
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm afraid I can't answer that,only ever worked with Fords own diagnostic equipment,
If you have the ability to update the pcm,I'd do that also.
Make sure the fuel filter,and fuel quality are good also before doing these resets.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby prototype3 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Frag wrote:I'm afraid I can't answer that,only ever worked with Fords own diagnostic equipment,
If you have the ability to update the pcm,I'd do that also.
Make sure the fuel filter,and fuel quality are good also before doing these resets.

Great thanks, I'll try using this ELM/FORscan thing to look for fault codes and if not I'll find someone to do what you suggested. It's due a service anyway so I guess I could get Ford to have a look.

Where are you based? Don't suppose it's anywhere near Gateshead?!

Cheers
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby prototype3 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Brief update;

No dtcs/fault codes showing up using the elm327 (OBDII) scanner with FORscan

Booked in for a full service tomorrow, after which I will try resetting the high pressure fuel learn values and the injector learn values, which it seems I can do with my equipment/software

It's a real pain trying to crawl in traffic, very lightly accelerating to maintain 8 or 9 mph and having it lurch about.

Haven't noticed any movement in the gear knob whilst it's doing it.

Does it just short of 10 mph in 1st, 20 mph in 2nd, 30 mph in 3rd etc. Stops as soon as I put my foot down heavier or lift off it completely.
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:23 pm

prototype3 wrote:Haven't noticed any movement in the gear knob whilst it's doing it.

Gear shift is remotely connected by flexible cables, so I'd be quite surprised if the gear stick was moving.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby prototype3 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 pm

knobby1 wrote:
prototype3 wrote:Haven't noticed any movement in the gear knob whilst it's doing it.

Gear shift is remotely connected by flexible cables, so I'd be quite surprised if the gear stick was moving.

Lord Knobrot

Well that explains that then! :oops:
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits