*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

low boost

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

low boost

Postby oldtimer47 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:20 am

Hi,
I have a 2010 LWB van with the 2.4ltr 140 engine. 6 speed manual. 224.000klm on the speedo. The engine is easy to start, runs well, doesn't blow noticeable smoke, I had been having a rough idle, so I had a new SCV fitted, still the rough idle, I took it to a mechanic, he said low fuel rail pressure, so he fitted a new PRV, the mechanic re did the injector codes and other things, it has been good since then.
I had the engine light come on, a few weeks back, I have the Torque Pro app, I checked it out it came up with P 0299 which comes up as Low Boost, I reset the code but it has come on several times since, same code, P 0299, also the same code as pending, but no other codes.
the App gives me a read out of Boost pressure and other things, there are times when it is low, but other times it is over 14lb boost, on a hill in 6th gear.
there is a local hill I come up on a regular basis, the van will normally come up in 6th gear, with 20k plus fuel pressure and up to 17lb boost, hold its speed,
there have been times lately it wont get up in 6th gear, boost will be about 5lb boost if I drop back to 5th gear it isn't much better, but if I drop back to 4th gear it will kick in, boost back up to over 14lb, occasionally it will come up the same hill in 6th gear without a problem.
since then I have had it checked out, the mechanic cleaned the MAP sensor, it was quite dirty, he also checked the Turbo Boost actuator, he said it was OK, I had been told that it could be the EGR valve sticking. I have no idea how old it was, so I bought a new one from Transit Parts UK, had it fitted today, the old one wasn't choked up, it was black but that was all, although the mechanic said it did stick half way a couple of times when he operated it manually
I went for a drive to check it out, still having the same problem, low boost, the light hasn't come on as yet, but I expect it will. It will blow a bit more smoke when the boost is low, but still not all that much.
The problem is not there all the time,
any suggestions, I live in Australia and I don't know of any good Transit mechanics locally.
thanks, Oldtimer
Transit Van. 2005. 135 / T430 RWD. 2.4 engine. 6 speed Manual. used as a Motor Home in Australia.
oldtimer47
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: low boost

Postby amlav » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am

It could be a sticking turbo actuator ...get under it and try to move the actuator by hand .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Don't force the actuator as it is a geared motor on the 140 and if it isn't already damaged then it could be if forced.

But yes the actuator is known to fail, you can undo the rod at the actuator and then see if the turbo side of the rod moves. Also look for boost leaks in the pipes or intercooler or inlet manifold.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby oldtimer47 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:30 pm

hi, thanks for the replies, what it turned out to be was a small split in the back of the inter cooler to manifold boost hose, just under where it attaches to the intake manifold, the mechanic found it by using what he called a smoke test. no idea why it would hold boost at times and then not hold boost. I could not see it even when the hose was off until I twisted the hose, then it opened up.
thanks for the help.
Oldtimer
Transit Van. 2005. 135 / T430 RWD. 2.4 engine. 6 speed Manual. used as a Motor Home in Australia.
oldtimer47
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:18 pm

oldtimer47 wrote:hi, thanks for the replies, what it turned out to be was a small split in the back of the inter cooler to manifold boost hose, just under where it attaches to the intake manifold, the mechanic found it by using what he called a smoke test. no idea why it would hold boost at times and then not hold boost. I could not see it even when the hose was off until I twisted the hose, then it opened up. thanks for the help. Oldtimer

Had exactly the same thing on mine Grant....split hose at the back on the bend about 2" down from the connection to the manifold....was ok until I gave it a bit of welly...then she would squeal like a stuck pig. :wink: :lol:

Yours should have been making some noise at least..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits