*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Is it hard to change the starter motor?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Is it hard to change the starter motor?

Postby VanmanSB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 pm

58 plate 2.5 TD SWB

I'm planning to order a SM unit to fit next Mon. Is it s big job? I had a quick look underneath and it looks fairly accessible. Does anything need to be removed to gain access? Which one should I order and where from?

After stalling and not starting last night the garage said today that they think it's the SM.
VanmanSB
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Is it hard to change the starter motor?

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 pm

VanmanSB wrote:58 plate 2.5 TD SWB

I'm planning to order a SM unit to fit next Mon. Is it s big job? I had a quick look underneath and it looks fairly accessible. Does anything need to be removed to gain access? Which one should I order and where from?

After stalling and not starting last night the garage said today that they think it's the SM.

Again, there's no such animal as a 58 plate 2.5.

Starter motor is relatively easy to do on a RWD...(compared to some other things like the EGR). Only two large bolts holding on...then three wiring connectors....be sure to disconnect the battery first though. Don't forget your radio code..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits