*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Are all MT75s created equal....

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Are all MT75s created equal....

Postby mistericeman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Well I've just finished removing box from the 90/350 Jumbo (03)
(loud metallic knocking on the over run in all gears... Disappears with clutch pedal down)
Still drove fine at all Litherland times Barring over run...
Already has solid Flywheel and clutch conversion... Nothing obvious to see with prop/clutch or box... And sound deff sounds like it's from the box...
However I've ordered a new clutch (daft not to swap whilst box is out)
And now looking for a replacement box...
However are they all the same?

This is the one I've removed...

And I can see a
YC1R-7003-HE57 S on ebay

Just wondering if ratios etc are different at all

Cheers guys
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Are all MT75s created equal....

Postby v8dave » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:01 pm

The ford guide for vehicle modifiers ( BEMM ) only lists one set of ratios for the mt75 gearbox. That said there might be a different set of ratios if the gearbox is from something other than a transit.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:47 pm

v8dave wrote:The ford guide for vehicle modifiers ( BEMM ) only lists one set of ratios for the mt75 gearbox. That said there might be a different set of ratios if the gearbox is from something other than a transit.

Just be mindful that some Mk7's were also fitted with the MT75.... if you're thinking of going that way...the Mk7 MT75 box will not have a speedo sensor whereas the Mk6 MT75 box will. Mk7 speedo drive is taken from the ABS reluctor rings. The Mk7 shift linkage is cable from the dash and the Mk6 is stick shift through the floor.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mistericeman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 pm

knobby1 wrote:
v8dave wrote:The ford guide for vehicle modifiers ( BEMM ) only lists one set of ratios for the mt75 gearbox. That said there might be a different set of ratios if the gearbox is from something other than a transit.

Just be mindful that some Mk7's were also fitted with the MT75.... if you're thinking of going that way...the Mk7 MT75 box will not have a speedo sensor whereas the Mk6 MT75 box will. Mk7 speedo drive is taken from the ABS reluctor rings. The Mk7 shift linkage is cable from the dash and the Mk6 is stick shift through the floor.

Lord Knobrot

Cheers.... I'd spotted that some change assemblies were different and figured it was likely as you said above...
Just trying to make sure I don't end up with different ratios or something daft...
I guess that the direct change boxes evolved over time (same thing with Landrovers lt77 box... Bigger bearings etc over its life until ending with the lt77S with cross drilled shaft etc for better lube ;-).
I'm a bit out of the loop with MT75 ones though (though obviously they were used in all sorts in different flavours)
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:47 am

1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits