*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Central locking issue

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Central locking issue

Postby daraioj » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi all, I really hope you can give me a hand on this one because I'm a bit lost.
The central locking fuse is blowing on my mk7. It happened all of a sudden. I started driving and all doors locked as normal and that was the end of it. When I stopped and tried to unlock the back door it didn't work and the fuse had blown.

-All four ajar switches are working fine (checked with IDS)
-Front actuators seem to be working. If I manually lock the front doors (and replace the fuse) they do unlock with the fob.
-Trying to unlock the back of the van blows the fuse, even with the side door opened and the back door actuator disconnected (cargo actuators might be ok?)
-Pressing the lock button does nothing other than beeping. (It should lock, unlock, beep, right?) And it doesn't blow the fuse.

As I said I'm a bit lost now. I'm not sure what to check next. Is the red box in the drivers door part of the central locking?

Any advice will be hugely appreciated!
2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Central locking issue

Postby Frag » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Sounds like you have a short circuit on the wiring to rear doors,
Possibly in the loom into o/s rear door,this can be disconnected behind the rear light unit once removed.
If it's still blowing the fuse check for metal objects hung in gutters inside rear of van trapping loom,or screws through ply lining or shelves etc into the loom behind them.
The loom runs at half van height from rear lamp till half way to front of van,then goes up to roof / gutter level and above cab area to front pillars.

The red box in front door is purely for 'one shot drop' on drivers window.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby daraioj » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 pm

Frag wrote:Sounds like you have a short circuit on the wiring to rear doors,
Possibly in the loom into o/s rear door,this can be disconnected behind the rear light unit once removed.
If it's still blowing the fuse check for metal objects hung in gutters inside rear of van trapping loom,or screws through ply lining or shelves etc into the loom behind them.
The loom runs at half van height from rear lamp till half way to front of van,then goes up to roof / gutter level and above cab area to front pillars.

The red box in front door is purely for 'one shot drop' on drivers window.
Thanks a lot for that info Frag!
I did replace a bulb a couple of months ago, I wonder if I pinched a wire or something when I put it back together.

One more thing. While I was checking the ajar switches on IDS I realized there's a cargo locked status and that it would only change to unlocked when I unlocked the back door. Locking and unlocking the sliding door wouldn't make any difference. As long as the back door was locked it would show as cargo locked. That made me believe the problem was on the sliding door. But I'm not so sure now. Maybe I've got two separate problems.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 am

This is doing my head in.
I've checked the loom behind the light unit, took it all out. All cables seem fine. Checked continuity in all of them and also each pin against each others. That loom seems fine.
Also took the sliding door actuator apart. It works fine.

So all four ajar switches and all four actuators are working correctly and they all unlock.

For some bizarre reason the fuse is not blowing anymore. (It's quite a lot colder now than when it broke, if that makes any difference) but still it won't lock the doors.
When I press the button it just beeps.
There's no signs of anything happening other than the horn relay clicking (I've disconnected the horn so I don't get shot by the neighbours)
Doors opened, closed, locked, unlocked, nothing seems to make a difference, I just get a beep.

Any idea? Are there any relays I can check? Is it all controlled internally by the BMC?

Thanks a lot!
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am

I just connected the van to IDS and there was a DTC from the BCM... tailgate relay resistance above threshold... Cleared it and now it's all working fine.
I did clean the connectors as they were a bit dirty. Could that have been the whole problem? I guess I'll have to wait and see.
I'm just glad the deadlock wasn't on when it stopped working.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits