*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit mk7 2.2 85bhp - black smoke under acceleration

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Transit mk7 2.2 85bhp - black smoke under acceleration

Postby daraioj » Thu May 03, 2018 7:53 pm

Karst wrote:
RustyPleco wrote:Just doing the inkector learn now and ive noticed this Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I spoke to Martin Vantuner today. He said some technical things. He said something about fuel pressure needing testing and recalibrating, and probably a coupla other things. Are all the things talked about here, and this fuel pressure thing, easily and reliably doable for an amateur? He quoted me £350 for what he would expect to do for my van. Rusty, this "injector learn" thing, is it complicated and time consuming? I can put my hand to most things, but if it takes a really long time and I am liable to make several mistakes, it might be better to just hand it over to Martin?
The learns are very simple, you just follow basic instructions. They don't take long, 10-15 minutes. Say half an hour of you start with a cold engine (which is not a bad idea). The actual learn procedures take a couple of minutes each.
2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 pm

I don't know, what about this fuel pressure stuff? The thing is, I don't know enough about this, and I know I can learn just about anything, but sometimes the learning curve is a sequence of mountains and valleys. And I'm gonna have to get hold of a certain amount of equipment to make it all possible, right?
Ford Transit Mk 7 Panel van, ex-posty's, 57 reg, 2007. Duratorq TDCI 2.2 (85PS)
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Fri May 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Karst wrote:I don't know, what about this fuel pressure stuff? The thing is, I don't know enough about this, and I know I can learn just about anything, but sometimes the learning curve is a sequence of mountains and valleys. And I'm gonna have to get hold of a certain amount of equipment to make it all possible, right?

Martyn is a professional. And according to many here a very good one too. Neither you nor I have or will have half the equipment, knowledge and experience he's probably got.
Having said that though, that bit of free software and 10 quid adapter can go a long way. From reading code and monitoring live data (like fuel rail pressure) to performing calibrations, etc
There's also this forum with a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people, there's the internet, workshop manuals, etc.

I'd give it a go myself, there's always time to take the van to the garage.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sat May 05, 2018 9:44 am

daraioj wrote:
Karst wrote:I don't know, what about this fuel pressure stuff? The thing is, I don't know enough about this, and I know I can learn just about anything, but sometimes the learning curve is a sequence of mountains and valleys. And I'm gonna have to get hold of a certain amount of equipment to make it all possible, right?

Martyn is a professional. And according to many here a very good one too. Neither you nor I have or will have half the equipment, knowledge and experience he's probably got.
Having said that though, that bit of free software and 10 quid adapter can go a long way. From reading code and monitoring live data (like fuel rail pressure) to performing calibrations, etc
There's also this forum with a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people, there's the internet, workshop manuals, etc.

I'd give it a go myself, there's always time to take the van to the garage.

Thank you daraoij, you make a convincing case :D

Can I also remove the limiter from it myself?

Do I need to plug the van into a laptop, or will a smartphone or chromebook do the job?
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Sat May 05, 2018 11:12 am

Karst wrote:Thank you daraoij, you make a convincing case :D

Can I also remove the limiter from it myself?

Do I need to plug the van into a laptop, or will a smartphone or chromebook do the job?

Good!

You'll need a modified ELM327 adapter (the one with the switch). Try and get one with an FTDI or siliconlabs chip.

I know there's FTDI drivers for Windows, Mac and Linux, not sure about the Chromebook though.

There's usb, WiFi and Bluetooth versions. I got the usb one which I guessed would have a more stable connection.

http://www.forscan.org/download.html
Forscan is free, you just need to create an account on their forum and get an extended license which is also free and takes about 20 seconds to get.

They've got mobile versions of the app but they're quite limited, you'll need the full version to run the service functions.

Yes, you can remove the speed limiter with it. There's loads of parameters you can change and Forscan is very user friendly.
There's loads of info here and on their forum too.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sun May 06, 2018 11:47 am

daraioj wrote:
Good!

You'll need a modified ELM327 adapter (the one with the switch). Try and get one with an FTDI or siliconlabs chip.

I know there's FTDI drivers for Windows, Mac and Linux, not sure about the Chromebook though.

There's usb, WiFi and Bluetooth versions. I got the usb one which I guessed would have a more stable connection.

http://www.forscan.org/download.html
Forscan is free, you just need to create an account on their forum and get an extended license which is also free and takes about 20 seconds to get.

They've got mobile versions of the app but they're quite limited, you'll need the full version to run the service functions.

Yes, you can remove the speed limiter with it. There's loads of parameters you can change and Forscan is very user friendly.
There's loads of info here and on their forum too.

Ok, so I only have a Chromebook, a smartphone (Android) and a desktop (Windows 10)

I can borrow a laptop, which will either be Windows or Mac, not sure yet.

Before I dive into the waterfall, can you make any specific recommendations, like a specific modified ELM327 adapter with a switch, or anything else? There's a lot of choice out there - I'm looking on eBay - should I look somewhere else?
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustyPleco » Sun May 06, 2018 12:20 pm

I got a modified one from ebay with a switch for £15, works perfectly

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
RustyPleco

Postby daraioj » Sun May 06, 2018 12:23 pm

I've got a BBFLY.. it works great but again, as long as it's got an FTDI chip it should be fine.

Search for elm327 FTDI...
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sun May 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks fellas :mrgreen:

I will order this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/bbfly-BF32302- ... B+modified

Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sun May 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Well, I've got the lead, I've got the laptop, and been out here leaned up against the van for 3 hours trying to get all the right software and drivers and getting it connected.

The Forescan software says it has connected to the adapter, but cannot connect to the vehicle.

The process so far hasn't been VERY user friendly. The bbflyodb website doesn't appear to exist. This hasn't been the usual case of just googling the software, clicking on download, then clicking on an executable file.

Is this the odb port, or is something funny going on?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Sun May 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Karst wrote:Well, I've got the lead, I've got the laptop, and been out here leaned up against the van for 3 hours trying to get all the right software and drivers and getting it connected.

The Forescan software says it has connected to the adapter, but cannot connect to the vehicle.

The process so far hasn't been VERY user friendly. The bbflyodb website doesn't appear to exist. This hasn't been the usual case of just googling the software, clicking on download, then clicking on an executable file.

Is this the odb port, or is something funny going on?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
Did you install the adapter driver?

That's the OBD2 port, yep.

Just to double check. The switch is facing the cable (rather than away from it), ignition in the ON position. You hit connect and get any messages?
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Sun May 13, 2018 2:26 pm

With the usb cable plugged in, click on start, right click computer, then manage. Go to device manager and look for usb on the right.
You should see the adapter.. Bbfly, FTDI, OBD2 or something along those lines.
If it's got an exclamation mark then there's a problem with the driver
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sun May 13, 2018 2:47 pm

The instructions are telling me I need HS mode, and that is with the switch away from the wire according to the instructions......? It doesn't connect in either position anyway.

I've tried them both, both with ignition in position I and II, so four different ways, and it doesn't connect.

I think I've installed the driver, but I had to go through hoops for it, so I'm not sure. If it says it recognises the adapter, does that not mean the driver is installed?

Well, there's no sign of it on Device Manager.

I've got some other stuff coming up here, just trying to check through it. Also various warnings that I might have a non-genuine item......
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sun May 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Gordon Bennett! I'm trying to post a photo Tapatalk and it's as slow as ever,

This whole situation is starting to spiral downwards!

I've tried a number pf driver download options, and none of them are working.

Please, can you tell me which one worked for you?

I have Windows 10

Thank you!
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm

I've got USB serial Port COM 13 showing in Device Manager when I plug the lead in. This is the same as in the "Instructions" with the lead, under Ftdiunim

When i unplug it this disappears.

When I double click on it for details it says it is an FTDI driver, so there is something there! But still it will not connect to my van...
Last edited by Karst on Sun May 13, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits