*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit mk7 2.2 85bhp - black smoke under acceleration

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Transit mk7 2.2 85bhp - black smoke under acceleration

Postby Karst » Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks again daraioj.

I'm not going to be able to squeeze all that in myself. I haven'y got the time available, and won't have for quite a while. I'd have to get a mechanic to do it for me. And at the moment I haven't even got time for that unless it's an emergency. I'd be a bit worried about re-cutting the seats in case I got swarf into the cylinders??

I'd love to do it all, of course. Just have to be practical at the moment.

The laptop has arrived, so I'll try the software approach first at the weekend.

I'm still setting up the inside of the van, and have a bunch of stuff clogging up my parents place!

tbc.....
Ford Transit Mk 7 Panel van, ex-posty's, 57 reg, 2007. Duratorq TDCI 2.2 (85PS)
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Karst wrote:Thanks again daraioj.

I'm not going to be able to squeeze all that in myself. I haven'y got the time available, and won't have for quite a while. I'd have to get a mechanic to do it for me. And at the moment I haven't even got time for that unless it's an emergency. I'd be a bit worried about re-cutting the seats in case I got swarf into the cylinders??

I'd love to do it all, of course. Just have to be practical at the moment.

The laptop has arrived, so I'll try the software approach first at the weekend.

I'm still setting up the inside of the van, and have a bunch of stuff clogging up my parents place!

tbc.....

Let me know if you have any trouble installing the software and drivers.

I remember you saying there was no executable in that zip file you got from the FTDI site. If that's the case then what you can do is unzip that onto your desktop and then plug in the ELM. Windows should try to install the driver and fail. Then you can go to device manager and update the driver. You should have an optional to manually search for it. Just select that folder on your desktop and that should do the trick.

Regarding the injector washers, I understand that if they're not in good shape you should see quite a bit of exhaust gases coming out of the oil filler cap when you remove it.

The whole injector thing is quite a lot easier than it sounds. And it shouldn't take too long. I did it a couple of weeks ago. I was scared sh*tless to be honest but couldn't afford to have someone do it.
I borrow a reamer but didn't use it in the end, it's just too harsh. I wouldn't recommend it unless the seats are really bad. I used a wire brush instead and cloth.

But yeah, starting with Forscan is not a bad idea. You can do the injectors later on and give the inlet manifold a good clean while you're at it
2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mikexx » Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 pm

knobby1 wrote:
You'll fail your next MOT from May 20th if your EGR is still blanked..!

Lord Knobrot

How will they know?
Mikexx
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karst » Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 pm

I don't even know what a blanked EGR is.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Fri May 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Hey daraioj,

My wicked step-dad is giving my mum such an earful about my tools and stuff hanging around at their place, I think I'm just gonna have to get all that non-subtle physical stuff out of the way first. It's pretty much certainly gonna mean the whole weekend on it, probably - I can't tell. So all I can say, is "Aell bi beck"!
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 am

Karst wrote:Hey daraioj,

My wicked step-dad is giving my mum such an earful about my tools and stuff hanging around at their place, I think I'm just gonna have to get all that non-subtle physical stuff out of the way first. It's pretty much certainly gonna mean the whole weekend on it, probably - I can't tell. So all I can say, is "Aell bi beck"!
Sorry to hear that man, hope you can get it sorted.

Btw, the egr or exhaust gases recirculation valve allows some of the exhaust gases to go back into the intake manifold.
It reduce emissions but also fills your intake manifold with crap, reduces power etc so many people just get rid of it but with the new mot regulations they should/will be measuring emissions more thoroughly (NOx included) and should/will be checking whether the emission control system in your vehicle has been modified or removed.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:19 pm

daraioj wrote:

Btw, the egr or exhaust gases recirculation valve allows some of the exhaust gases to go back into the intake manifold.
It reduce emissions but also fills your intake manifold with crap, reduces power etc so many people just get rid of it but with the new mot regulations they should/will be measuring emissions more thoroughly (NOx included) and should/will be checking whether the emission control system in your vehicle has been modified or removed.

Hey Daraioj,

How are you doing?

I don't know if your communicado, or incommunicado this weekend, but I have a tentative plan to do van/laptop/key/laptop stuff this Saturday afternoon.

I've got a new key from eBay for £60, Got it cut for £6, and got a second hand Windows 10 laptop also from eBay, which seems to be really good value.

So after felling a 6-metre palm in the morning, I plan to start with sorting out how to programme the key myself. I want to start with this because the insanely paranoid automatic locking in my van is driving me nuts. I have absolutely no idea how it will go.

I will post something, but for the key I'll do it on a separate thread, and just see what happens. I found a long thread about programming the blue keys, so I will be trawling through that.

Hope all is well :mrgreen:

Karsty.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Karst wrote:
daraioj wrote:

Hey Daraioj,

How are you doing?

I don't know if your communicado, or incommunicado this weekend, but I have a tentative plan to do van/laptop/key/laptop stuff this Saturday afternoon.

I've got a new key from eBay for £60, Got it cut for £6, and got a second hand Windows 10 laptop also from eBay, which seems to be really good value.

So after felling a 6-metre palm in the morning, I plan to start with sorting out how to programme the key myself. I want to start with this because the insanely paranoid automatic locking in my van is driving me nuts. I have absolutely no idea how it will go.

I will post something, but for the key I'll do it on a separate thread, and just see what happens. I found a long thread about programming the blue keys, so I will be trawling through that.

Hope all is well :mrgreen:

Karsty.

Hey man, good to hear from you again!

Yeah I should be able to give you a hand this weekend.

Programming the key shouldn't be too hard.

You got Forscan up and running? You'll need the extended license (free).
Just register on their forum http://www.forscan.org/forum/
And once you activate your account by clicking the link on the email you'll get, got to http://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php to get the extended licence.
(It'll ask for a hardware ID which you get from Forscan itself. Its on the about screen.

You're looking for PATS programming.
You have to program a minimum of two keys but you can get around that by programming the same twice.

I would recommend you program the key first and only if everything goes well think about deleting all stored keys and reprogramming the ones you've actually got.

It shouldn't take too long. It'll probably take much longer to get the laptop/adapter/drivers/license working that the programming itself.

This is quite old but will help you understand the process.

http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

Oh and btw, you can disable the auto locking with Forscan if you want to..
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 pm

daraioj wrote:
Hey man, good to hear from you again!

And once you activate your account by clicking the link on the email you'll get, got to http://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php to get the extended licence.
(It'll ask for a hardware ID which you get from Forscan itself. Its on the about screen.

You have to program a minimum of two keys but you can get around that by programming the same twice.

I would recommend you program the key first and only if everything goes well think about deleting all stored keys and reprogramming the ones you've actually got.

It shouldn't take too long. It'll probably take much longer to get the laptop/adapter/drivers/license working that the programming itself.

https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.421767549.9443/flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 pm

daraioj wrote:Hey man, good to hear from you again!

Hey Daraioj,

Well, "tentative" was the operative word.

It took 6 hours to fell and deal with the palm!

I've only just sat down after it.

So I have no idea really what I'll achieve software-wise tomorrow. I've got a lot of physical stuff which I was planning to do tomorrow. One thing is, the top of my driver's door does not close properly. This is related to some welding carried out by a muppet at the top hinge. I spent 4 or 5 hours the other day trying to fix this, in the end I realised the only way is to take the whole door off, grind back the "bodywork" at the top hinge, then put it all back together.

So I'm gonna have to do that and then just prioritise......

Thanks again Daraioj,

"Iell bi beck!"

Karst.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Yeah, same here... I don't know whether I'm really bad at doing things or at estimating how long they'll take... probably both...

Anyways good luck with the bodywork and give us a shout if you need help with your laptop.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:57 pm

daraioj wrote:Yeah, same here... I don't know whether I'm really bad at doing things or at estimating how long they'll take... probably both...

Anyways good luck with the bodywork and give us a shout if you need help with your laptop.

Oh boy, how you can plan, how much they can change!

So, after spending the whole afternoon in A&E with an unstoppable nosebleed, I did not get a lot done today. They managed to stop it with silver nitrate. It stains black, and now I have half a black nose and a Hitler moustache, which I expect it to last a coupla weeks!

Onwards and upwards!

Hope your weekend went well :wink:
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Ok, I've registered with forscan, so just waiting for approval for activation...
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Bloody hell!! Well.. my weekend was definitely not as eventful as yours

Did you manage to install the elm's driver and all that?

You should still be able to connect to the van without the extended license.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Karst » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 pm

I didn't get anything else done today. I was so done in I stayed in bed till the early afternoon.

I'm gonna try to post a photo of silver nitrate stains, but I have not had success with posting photos here lately. Seriously, I have washed and scrubbed the area, it is 100% stain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits