*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

sudden lost of electrics to engine

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

sudden lost of electrics to engine

Postby badaboy » Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am

Hi folks,

transit in question is a 04 reg T350 LWB high top 2.4 RWD before we bought it its had an engine rebuild.

problem is, having driven from Devon back to Bristol yesterday evening the battery light came on causing the engine to stop, all the ignition lights come on, and stay the same when the key is turned when trying to start. there is no clicking or clunking from starter motor, i haven't checked the battery for charge, feel that its okay as the engine is not trying to crank. my thoughts are prob wiring or component failure.

any ideas will be great,
thanks
Mike.
badaboy

Re: sudden lost of electrics to engine

Postby Brains_transit » Tue May 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Check the earth from engine to chassis isn't corroded
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby badaboy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:22 pm

thanks Brains I have checked the earths as far as i can tell they are okay, will retest by by-passing with a jump lead.

Mike.
badaboy

Postby Frag » Tue May 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Sounds like the alternator has packed in,and now the battery is flat,try jump starting it,or charging battery.
Then see what alternator light does....
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby badaboy » Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi guys thanks for in put and sorry that i haven't replied sooner. tried all the suggestions with no progress. my gut was that it was wiring or relay problem.

had to get in local auto electrician, they came to day first thought was the dash circuit board was faulty, he then checked further and found there was no power going to the ignition fuse (107) cause found to be a broken wire, once replaced everything is running fine.

things to look out for are that the odmeter only shows dashes and no numbers. plus the red pin light on left hand side of dash does not light up, it should pulse then go off once key is turned,

hope this might help if anyone else has this problem.

Mike.
badaboy

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits