*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power steering leak 2.2 fwd 85

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Power steering leak 2.2 fwd 85

Postby Mattyk113 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 pm

It would seem I've got a power steering leak. Upon first look the rack was soaked which led me to think the worst. However when I took the wheel off and cleaned everywhere up it seems it's one of the 2 pipes to the rack. With the small clip attached the bottom one had the drip on but when I removed the small clip and started the engine the top one had the drip, I understand the top one is the low pressure return? And as it's not spraying out under pressure, it's more one drip every 10 secs I assume this is my leak. I've seen them online, so my question is... How hard are they to fit? I'm not a mechanic, I'm a plumber! Got a jack and stands and a socket set, does anything else need to come off to change it or will the pipe thread through it's route easy enough? Any tips would be great!
Mattyk113

Re: Power steering leak 2.2 fwd 85

Postby Phil53 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 pm

I had exactly the same problem last month, although your pipe clamp sounds different to mine, the 2 pipes are side by side on mine, any way! I had to take off the plastic guard for the steering pump belt, the most difficult part of the job was lowering the spring clip on the rubber hose below the resevoir. surprisingly the pipe in question is made of ally and it had corroded through at the point where its held in the little clamp. only took a couple of hours.
good luck
Phil53
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits