*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 TDI 2.0 stuck in limp mode

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 TDI 2.0 stuck in limp mode

Postby WarthogARJ » Sat May 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi,
2004 Mk6 2.0 TDI 100 PS: right hand drive, front wheel drive

I am trying to troubleshoot poor running (maybe is in limp mode) after replacing glow plugs and injectors, fixing a few leaks, coolant hose fixing, and renewing wrapping on wiring where it was frayed etc.

At moment engine starts but runs very roughly and lots of white smoke.
And lacks power: I doubt it would actually move.
It stops on its own after a few minutes.

On dash after it is running I get a flashing glow plug symbol, and also battery icon is on.

The strange thing is I have a generic ELM327 diagnostic Bluetooth interface to my android phone and am running EOBD Facile to see error codes etc.
It does not report any error codes now, although initially it did, until I fixed a faulty temperature sensor.

The glow plugs do work: I installed new ones with new wiring, and tested them hooked up to the circuit.
They all glow.
And when I start the engine I measure 38 amps to them with my fluke clamp meter, then it goes to zero after about 1 minute.
And icon starts to flash.

My injectors have been refurbished/cleaned (new nozzles) and tested by a diesel expert.
They function properly.

I have new fuel and air filters.

I did my best to bleed the air out of the fuel system: it starts easily, just doesn’t run very well.

I might replace the diesel hoses from the fuel filter to the pump (supply line and bleed off return) because the connectors at the fuel filter end were very hard to remove, and maybe maybe not sealing now.
Maybe.
Dunno if they ar bad.
I thought they were OK, but maybe are pulling in air???

My battery is new, and at each start I have 12.5-13.0 volts.
Dunno why charge icon goes on.
I don’t think it’s causing my problems.
It was ok before this.

As I said, I initially had a cylinder head temperature sensor Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).
So I replaced it.
I no longer have that Fault code.

I have not intentionally touched the timing: I did remove the timing chain cover to repair a leak, but didn’t touch the timing chain.
However I did I did rotate the engine by the crankshaft pulley a little bit backwards because I had dropped something into the cylinder 1 when cleaning out the glow plug holes. A Dremmel brush.
Sigh.
Was making sure the glow plug holes were clean....
But the engine never ran with it in, and I managed to fish it out with a magnet and using an endoscope.
It did not damage the cylinder.
But I did rotate the crankshaft back a bit to try to move the cylinder to a good position to fish it out.
But no more than maybe 1 turn backwards.
And then after that it was turned normal direction 1 turn.
Couldn’t rotate anymore either direction because the Dremmel brush was stopping the cylinder from moving its complete cycle.

But now I have the Dremmel brush out, and I reinstalled injectors and glow plugs.
I haven’t seen anything that suggests any internal damage: engine rotates manually fine.

Can you put the engine out of timing by rotating backwards a little bit??
I can check the timing if needed.

I have fuel: ½ tank.

The manuals suggest that perhaps these could be issues causing my problem:
T-MAP sensor
EGR valve (like what?? It is there and I don’t see any damage to it, how do you know??)
APP sensor
Fuel temp sensor (is in pump I believe, pump is pretty new)

Does my engine have a MAF sensor? (Air Flow Mass sensor?? I know Mk7 does, and a supplier selling sensors says the Mk6 does have one, but where is it??)

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this please?
Other than not dropping Dremmel tools into cylinders... :D

Thanks for help
WarthogARJ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk6 TDI 2.0 stuck in limp mode

Postby WarthogARJ » Sat May 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Ok some more.
I replaced the diesel hoses that MIGHT have been letting air in.
And no change.

I dunno if anyone has read Pirsig’s “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” but the obvious temptation here as with the mechanics he was criticizing is to just start arbitrarily replacing stuff.
Without trying to understand the actual problem.

The trouble is that I think the van’s PCM is deliberately doing this.
Because of some bad info it’s being sent.
Like my engine did not act like this before, so there’s no reason to think it’s really bad compression.

It’s puzzling that the diagnostics Elm327/EOBD system is not reporting a fault.
But maybe Ford’s Diagnostics are too primitive to report when they’ve decided to shut things down??
Is that normal?

I have a diagnostics device called the GS-911 on my BMW motorbike and it tells me a lot more.
South African made.

Do people use other software/apps to monitor things?
I’ll ask a separate question.
I tried Torque but it didn’t want to run very easily on my system.
If it’s good I can try harder, it has good reviews.

I definitely need better info, otherwise it’s time to slaughter a chicken as sacrifice to the Diesel Demon and start making wild guesses....
WarthogARJ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Sat May 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Try forscan t'is free on a laptop or 5 sovs for smartphone app. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sun May 20, 2018 7:36 am

Has fuel pump and pressure been checked?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby WarthogARJ » Sun May 20, 2018 3:18 pm

ake wrote:Has fuel pump and pressure been checked?

Not really.
I’d really like to: any tips on doing it myself?
It hasn’t been a runner so I couldn’t easily do much anywhere away from my place.

I know it used to work: never had issues.
In fact the place I bought it from said they’d just put in a new one, and it does LOOK new.

I was looking in Haynes manual and at the online one at
https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/trans ... 00-05.2006

Like it gives a nice test here to pinpoint issues like i’m having:
[url]https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/transit_2000.5_01.2000-05.2006/mechanical_repairs/3_powertrain/303_engine/303-04f_fuel_charging_and_controls_2.0l_duratorq-tdci_(puma)_diesel/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/fuel_charging_and_controls/#G206967p3[/url

But you need some fairly specialized tools: like a 2000 bar gage.
Ok, I can buy one, is no real big deal, but I wasn’t sure if my problem suggests that’s the issue.
I’ve worked with high pressure, is just I don’t have the right fittings here.

The pump definitely used to work before, I didn’t touch the pump, it doesn’t leak, I bled it, I know it does pump (engine runs)....

If you think it looks like the cause of my problem I can see if I can get someone to make a “house call”....

I was thinking I might try a compression test just to see. Like the engine doesn’t want to run long enough to get really hot, but it will run.
But I dunno what it will show me, like I don’t see all the cylinders having bad compression!
WarthogARJ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby WarthogARJ » Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 pm

ned wrote:Try forscan t'is free on a laptop or 5 sovs for smartphone app. N

Ned,
Thanks for that, I have got a copy of Foreskin app to try.

It works on my interface, but It gives me different information from EOBD-facile.
Strange.
But it doesn’t really seem to link completely.

So I have ordered another EOBD/ELM327 interface just to be sure: is claimed by reviews to work well with your Foreskin app as well as Torque (what seems to be popular on YouTube) and works on Fords.

I dunno why the interface should really be a big deal: they should all be using the same chips.
But there are comments that cheapo interfaces do give funny results.

So hopefully I can soon circumcise, er circumvent I mean, my problems with my mighty big and throbbing Ford van with the Foreskin app.

But it DOES seem to be an unusual name for an engineering app.
I mean ‘’Foreskin”??
Maybe a rabbi invented it... :lol:

Alan
WarthogARJ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits