*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Water leaks in the back

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Water leaks in the back

Postby maushawk » Tue May 22, 2018 1:04 pm

I've just bought a 2009 Mk7 to convert into a campervan, currently doing all the basic bodywork repairs that the previous owner never got around to.

There are a few spots in the back where water is getting in - see pic attached.

1. The plastic pins that hold the side trim on, 4 pins on each side behind the rear wheel arches. The upper edges of the trim don't have any kind of seal to stop rainwater running down inside and through the holes in the bodywork where they're fastened. I've slathered adhesive/sealant over the pins to plug the holes for now, but might redo it with Quiksteel or something. This bit is pretty bad, water has been pooling on the metal behind the wheel arches with nowhere to drain so I've already had to fix a load of rust there.

2. The rear door handle mechanism lets water into the door (the part covered behind plastic film). There is a drain hole at the bottom but I want to insulate both rear doors and it'd be stupid to do that if water comes through every time it rains. Can the handle be sealed somehow? What would be the best way to do it?

3. The two black plastic mounts that hold the rear numberplate lights. I figure that'll be the simplest to fix, just run a bead of sealant around the edges and reapply it if the bulbs ever need replacing.

Anyone dealt with this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maushawk
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits