*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Quite urgent help needed - Engine Swap/troubles

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Quite urgent help needed - Engine Swap/troubles

Postby Zed666 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Our works 54 plate 90ps 2.4 RWD tipper broke down and was diagnosed as having a broken cam chain. It was decided to have a new s/h engine put in and was recommended someone who would do it for £600 all in. To cut a long story short, it is now 2 weeks after the supposed completion date and the guy is ignoring phone calls and completely avoiding any contact about the van and we are now faced with having to go tow the van away and hopefully get it fixed elsewhere.

But here come the issues..... The 'mechanic' in question said that he was putting a higher power engine/ecu into the van and the last word we had from him was that the van had been running but then cutout and wouldnt restart, supposed fuel pump had gone and he had ordered a s/h one off ebay and could code it in no problem. No contact thereafter.

Where should we start with this?, I am a little nervous as after some searching it seems that engine looms/relays also need to be changed and have no idea if he has done this or not...... Perhaps some guidance as to how some of your pro's might approach figuring this out from zero information so we can give the new garage some info. I dont want them assuming its a bad fuel pump when really its because wiring/relays are incorrect or other issues.

Thankyou for any guidance anyone can give on this subject......definitely a lesson learnt!.

Edit: I will update when we know more, engine codes etc
Zed666

Re: Quite urgent help needed - Engine Swap/troubles

Postby ned » Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 pm

now here's the issue, do you know what year the donor engine came from?

If not it might be easier to source a donor vehicle (good engine but rusted away body) and start from scratch. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Quite urgent help needed - Engine Swap/troubles

Postby Zed666 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks for the reply Ned. I am hoping that the individual in question will hopefully stop burying his head in the sand and at least speak to us about it. I will attempt to get the year/model/engine details from him as well as exactly what parts he has transferred over.

But as yet he is still ignoring all attempts at speaking to him, towing the van away with zero detail may be the only option.
Zed666

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits