*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

STARTING ISSUES

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

STARTING ISSUES

Postby PHOENIX2018 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:52 pm

FORD TRANSIT MK6 2001 2.4 DI RWD.
Hello everybody. Two years ago I had starting issues. Ended up been the dmf. At the time I had a new battery/starter motor. New dmf and clutch fitted.
Present day and the van won't start. I've taken the starter motor (rtx) off and bench tested it. It spins from the test and also clicks and shaft rises as power connected. Now I'm confused. Is this starter working? No swarf in housing of starter motor upon removal.
The symptoms when fitted. It would try and start van by turning over then accompanied by a constant whinning noise until I turn the key to the off position in ignition.

I'm rather confused. Thanks for any help and reading this.
PHOENIX2018

Re: STARTING ISSUES

Postby amlav » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:57 pm

Replace the starter . This starters have a inbuilt one way clutch that fail in time .
Testing it of the engine it looks like working ok but under load it just doesn't engage in to the flywheel .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby motorman116 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:52 am

:shock: an RTX starter motor that has lasted 2 years, I am shocked.. van cant be driven that much, as they normally only last about 9 months :lol:
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby PHOENIX2018 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Well I fitted a new starter motor. Fixed the problem for about a week and its doing it again. No swarf in old starter motor. So any ideas people why it doing this. So far its had NEW BATTERY>NEW DMF> NEW CLUTCH>N STARTER MOTOR>NEW ALTERNATOR.
Still having intermitting starting issues. Could it be a relay? Damaged wiring?

I'm not giving up in her yet.
PHOENIX2018

Postby amlav » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 am

I've changed 3 starters in about 6 years . Not sure what to say about quality or design (after market ones).
Anyway...back to your issue . You have to make sure that the new starter is a 2.5 kw or 2.4 kw power rating .
First clean ALL cable contacts/lugs going to starter properly than eventually change relay if still the same .
There is a lot of Amps going trough starter wiring and if no proper and tight contact it can play up.
Can you hear the starter solenoid making a loud clicking noise when turning the key or not ?
If not than change relay or ignition key contact block .
If yes than you may have wrong type of starter or maybe a faulty one or voltage drop to starter due to dirty/loose wiring terminals.
This are only sugestions . Trying to help but you have to do all checks
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby PHOENIX2018 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Update the van is in garage. Suspected Alternator is draining battery. When engine running alternator is charging just fine. When van left parked for a few days there was a drainage. The black connector to alternator seems to be the cause according to the garage. So see what happens. Think its about tracing these wires now.

No battery warning light on dash. when ignition is turned on it lights it so bulb in dash is all ok.

I want to get rid of the van but i kinda love all her pain in the ass moments
PHOENIX2018

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits