*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 2010 2.2 TDCI Injector bolt tightening torque

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK7 2010 2.2 TDCI Injector bolt tightening torque

Postby Trekexpress » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:52 am

Good morning gents,

First a warm "HELLO!" to everybody in the forum.

In recent weeks I have been facing leaking injector seals in my MK7 2010 2.2 TDCI (60.000 miles). It's been dripping oil for some weeks and I decided to end the leakage thus exchanging the seals in the valve cover, the copper washers, bolts and return line o-rings. So I took of the valve cover, removed the injectors (injectors 1+2 were pretty stuck and really dirty) exchanged all the seals and put everything back together.

However, as the bolts of the holding clamps seemed so "flimsy" :P , I did not dare to really tighten them without the proper tightening torque. Yet as the injectors are held down just by pressure of the holding clamp I guess I have to put on quite some torque on the bolts but do not want to break the bolts.

What is the exact tightening torque for the two bolts pressing down the holding clamps?

Cheers!
Trekexpress
Trekexpress
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK7 2010 2.2 TDCI Injector bolt tightening torque

Postby karl » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:24 pm

23nm and the 180 degrees
**Edit by moderator - The correct torque is 6NM +180 degrees**

you need to use new bolts as well as they are stretch bolts and can snap if reused :)
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Trekexpress » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 am

karl wrote:23nm and the 180 degrees

I am sorry to say that this statement is just plain WRONG and I am also sorry that I followed your advice which caused one of my bolts to break.

I therefore checked with Ford and their official workshop manual. See screenshot attached.

Result: The torq for the fuel injector clamp bolts is 6nm plus 180 degrees...

Greetings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trekexpress
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby andz327 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:29 am

Trekexpress wrote:Good morning gents,

In recent weeks I have been facing leaking injector seals in my MK7 2010 2.2 TDCI (60.000 miles). It's been dripping oil for some weeks and I decided to end the leakage thus exchanging the seals in the valve cover, the copper washers, bolts and return line o-rings. So I took of the valve cover, removed the injectors (injectors 1+2 were pretty stuck and really dirty) exchanged all the seals and put everything back together.

However, as the bolts of the holding clamps seemed so "flimsy" , I did not dare to really tighten them without the proper tightening torque. Yet as the injectors are held down just by pressure of the holding clamp I guess I have to put on quite some torque on the bolts but do not want to break the bolts.

What is the exact tightening torque for the two bolts pressing down the holding clamps?

Cheers!
Trekexpress

you need to use new bolts as well as they are stretch bolts and can snap if reused :)
Karl has been a bad boy
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:42 am

andz327 wrote:

However, as the bolts of the holding clamps seemed so "flimsy" , I did not dare to really tighten them without the proper tightening torque. Yet as the injectors are held down just by pressure of the holding clamp I guess I have to put on quite some torque on the bolts but do not want to break the bolts.

Cheers!
Trekexpress

Karl has been a bad boy

:lol: does karl care " the answer is NO " i dont even use the torque settings :lol:
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby andz327 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:21 am

karl wrote:
andz327 wrote:

Cheers!
Trekexpress

Karl has been a bad boy

does karl care " the answer is NO " i dont even use the torque settings
Nor me mate, torque elbow it gets
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby v8dave » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:16 am

karl wrote: :lol: does karl care " the answer is NO " i dont even use the torque settings :lol:

Thanks for the reminder. :lol:
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:03 am

karl wrote: :lol: does karl care " the answer is NO " i dont even use the torque settings :lol:

Probably best not to advise on something like this if you don't actually know :idea:

Some of us have a "feel" for how tight a bolt needs to be, and some need the torque setting, I think I've only ever used a torque wrench on cylinder head bolts which need to be all exactly the same :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby lygi » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:19 pm

sorry I'm writing here, but there is no point to start a new topic. What kind of torque open-end wrench should I use to tighten high-pressure pipes? Looks like all torque wrenches are socket ones.
lygi
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:44 am

lygi wrote:sorry I'm writing here, but there is no point to start a new topic. What kind of torque open-end wrench should I use to tighten high-pressure pipes? Looks like all torque wrenches are socket ones.

Crow foot will fit.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 am

The union nuts only need nipping gently at each end to seat the cones and 'set' the HP lines (the 5NM), then a firm tweek just enough to keep the seal, a decent open end spanner is plenty man enough.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits