*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power Steering Fluid Leak...and I'm in Italy.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Power Steering Fluid Leak...and I'm in Italy.

Postby GerryVega » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to find old posts about this but haven't been able to, so sorry if this has been asked before.
Here's the issue: van's been making a bit of a squealing sound for a while, and first of all I thought it was belt related so changed the idler rollers and it got a bit better, also had to change the belt recently and I wanted to believe that had helped too.
Left the van parked for a couple of months at my friend's in milan and then started it up yesterday and got the same squeal. Had a look at the power steering fluid reservoir and it was about an inch below "minimum" so I went to a big supermarket and got a bottle of Automatic Transmission Fluid and did the whole top up thing, using about 500ml, steering side to side.
"Wow" I thought, no squeal, everything hunky dory and van was driving like a champ. I also noticed the steering felt much better.
Anyway parked up after a drive and had another look under the bonnet and the reservoir was back down to about an inch below "minimum".
So I had a look and could see straight away a load of leaked fluid down on and around the steering rack. I got a bit closer and it looks like it's coming out of one or two of the metal pipes going in there.
I took a few photos on the phone to try to show a bit more clearly what I'm trying to describe. I've ordered some "stop leak" stuff from ebay and will be hoping for a miracle, but failing that, any ideas on what I can do to stop the leak?
On the plus side of doesn't seem to completely drain the system, as it hasn't gotten any lower than about an inch below the "minimum" mark on the reservoir but I'd still rather fix it just not sure how.
Ah crap now I'm going to have to work out how to upload photos off the phone. Back with photos in a minute...
GerryVega

Re: Power Steering Fluid Leak...and I'm in Italy.

Postby GerryVega » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Also should probably specify 2005 2.4 RWD minibus.
GerryVega

Re: Power Steering Fluid Leak...and I'm in Italy.

Postby GerryVega » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 pm

There we go, not too hard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GerryVega

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits