*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Diesel fuel filter head design/layout

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Diesel fuel filter head design/layout

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:52 am

bigjohnthomas wrote:Being a scientist I have conducted your test and concur with you findings :D
Test number 2 involves a little heat you'll need gloves, goggles and a lab coat for this
Empty the veg oil into a deep fat fryer of pan heat it a bit and it turns into big glob of Smeg stuck to sides that you can't get off
Now then
Now then
I am also an award winning cookery expert and when you combine high heat and vegetable oil you get a polymer thats like plastic or resin. The polymer bonds with the surface and results in robust finish used to season turnip frying pans that's why I always fry with premium diesel :D
Hope this helps
Suckers Xx

LOL :lol: :lol:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WarthogARJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:
WarthogARJ wrote:
Do an experiment and look at the bottle of vegetable oil that sits on your shelf. Is that clogged? Why should it clog up a properly designed system if it doesn’t clog up in the bottle?

Being a scientist I have conducted your test and concur with you findings :D
Test number 2 involves a little heat you'll need gloves, goggles and a lab coat for this
Empty the veg oil into a deep fat fryer of pan heat it a bit and it turns into big glob of Smeg stuck to sides that you can't get off
Now then
Now then
I am also an award winning cookery expert and when you combine high heat and vegetable oil you get a polymer thats like plastic or resin. The polymer bonds with the surface and results in robust finish used to season turnip frying pans that's why I always fry with premium diesel :D
Hope this helps
Suckers
Xx

Excellent!
Yeah, i think that if you pour unconverted waste vegetable oil into just about any diesel newer that anout 1945 as a pure fuel you are asking for trouble.
Just filtering it doesn’t really do anything, except remove the obvious gunge.
Removing the water helps: the link i sent earlier from the Colorado guy has him using a centrifuge to separate the water out.
So that will help.
But as BigJohntheDieselCook points out, vegetable oil that’s been used for cooking is no longer pure.
And that’s where the conversion with caustic comes in.
It’s a chemical process whereby you convert the oil, including waste products into a benign fuel. It’s not hard to do.

Or if you don’t want that hassle, just buy standard vegetable oil in bulk, is easy to get at £0.70/liter for new, un-used svo. Many people mix that straight with diesel without conversions at all: 50/50 mix in summer is common.
WarthogARJ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JacobsMess » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:58 am

Just read this thread recently then saw this in the ford transit manual for mk6... "When the temperature is below 15°C, a valve inside the fuel filter opens allowing fuel which is pre-heated by the fuel injection pump to be recirculated back through the fuel filter to the fuel injection pump. This aids engine performance during warm up." so this does confirm your suspicion that a temperature controlled valve controls the fuel flow. Not sure if this was ever confirmed here or not.

Sorry to resurrect.
JacobsMess
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits