*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Need advice on Mk6 bought on Ebay

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Need advice on Mk6 bought on Ebay

Postby loot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:02 pm

If you bought it off eBay then went and paid cash for it on collection then how can you expect a refund? EBay won't give you anything except maybe if you paid a deposit or in full but who pays these days?

I usually tell pp that sellers are usually full of lies :-( you need a solid warranty or pay someone to go and do a full mechanical check of the vehicle.

You sound like a nice guy and a reasonable guy but unfortunately you are the perfect candidate to these ppl to sell junk too :-(

The van itself looks quite tidy in that picture so maybe a useful mechanic who knows transits specifically can look at it and give you a second opinion?

Look info gov law as to whether you still have statutory 14 returns? I don't know but worth checking still because he hasn't disclosed all the defects reasonably has he?.
If he is a registered business I think that he still has to be honest in what he's selling.

You're cutting it a bit fine still if you're moving in July. :-(
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby benzji31 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Graham1967 wrote:Hi,

I would suggest you take a look here

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk</span>/

In 2007 that van had 151,000 miles on the clock.

Been some tampering. The dealer should not of sold you it at that price.

Graham

omg... great spot Graham!
They did give me the MOT history but just up to that point the mileage was down to ~60k in 2010.
Isn't tampering with the odometer completely illegal even if the engine was swapped in 2010?
I had an engine recon on my wife's car and not knowing I asked the workshop if they should adjust the mileage accordingly, which they said absolutely not...

Can't have that buying from a dealer as a consumer, right?
May be ok to sell between trade, but looks like I've been completely conned here.

scas wrote:
Airthies wrote:A few things from the technical side don't add up. Maybe just a Chinese whispers affect.

Plastic pipes on the injectors?
1. The injector pipes are steel and there is no plastic that I know would handle the injection pressures in the system (i doubt it's this)
2. Leak off pipes are plastic as there only taking exsess fuel back to tank.
Pipes to and from injection pumps are also regularly plastic as they are also low pressure.
What was the bodge injector fix they had done.

The turbo is disconected????
What part of the turbo is disconnected?

If it's got good oil pressure, it starts and runs ok, then a replacement turbo and sorting the clutch would be better than trying to replace an entire unknown engine with the risk of other hassles that come with it.

Sent from my anu5 using crapatalk

agree with this, also any time ive tried to run a transit with no turbo,it will eventually get to 15mph after 54 miles.

Points noted gents. I will get a second opinion from another garage, but seeing what Graham discovered I hope I have a stronger case to bring it back.

Cheers
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby twin--turbo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:21 pm

I wonder if the leading "1" has been obscured or failed an its 180K.

If RAC did indeed inspect then they should have picked that up..

Unless the add says something like "reading 82k on the clock" then any mileage statement of the sale/advert is misleading and gives reasonable grounds for rejection.

TT
twin--turbo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby benzji31 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:28 pm

loot wrote:If you bought it off eBay then went and paid cash for it on collection then how can you expect a refund? EBay won't give you anything except maybe if you paid a deposit or in full but who pays these days?

I usually tell pp that sellers are usually full of lies :-( you need a solid warranty or pay someone to go and do a full mechanical check of the vehicle.

You sound like a nice guy and a reasonable guy but unfortunately you are the perfect candidate to these ppl to sell junk too :-(

The van itself looks quite tidy in that picture so maybe a useful mechanic who knows transits specifically can look at it and give you a second opinion?

Look info gov law as to whether you still have statutory 14 returns? I don't know but worth checking still because he D' hasn't disclosed all the defects reasonably has he?.
If he is a registered business I think that he still has to be honest in what he's selling.

You're cutting it a bit fine still if you're moving in July. :-(

It was a classified ad on Ebay, no bidding or Paypal possible, and I paid by debit card for deposit then in full.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, timing is making me not sleep now... we do have till the end of july but was hoping to have a van before to start moving things we're giving or selling before the big departure.
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby benzji31 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:33 pm

twin--turbo wrote:I wonder if the leading "1" has been obscured or failed an its 180K.

If RAC did indeed inspect then they should have picked that up..

Unless the add says something like "reading 82k on the clock" then any mileage statement of the sale/advert is misleading and gives reasonable grounds for rejection.

TT

Could be yeah...

RAC report just shows the mileage I picked it up with and no additional notes on the ad, nor any RAC additional comments about it.

Docs attached: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgWiqEqAryJfgdc8ekTBy1qxIp2LLA
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby twin--turbo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:42 pm

That does not look like an official RAC report.

The seat wear is not in line with the low mileage.

I would check with the RAC, if they have not done an inspection then it's simply fraud and they will be interested and so may the local police.

TT
twin--turbo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:57 pm

I have just read the eBay advert and it states twice the mileage of 84,500 ish, they also say customer satisfaction, get a independent mechanic to look at it and then go back to them with the fault list and see what they say before you start legal action, they might give you a refund if you mention legal action then you can look for another van. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby benzji31 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:11 pm

twin--turbo wrote:That does not look like an official RAC report.

The seat wear is not in line with the low mileage.

I would check with the RAC, if they have not done an inspection then it's simply fraud and they will be interested and so may the local police.

TT

Just sent an email to RAC legal to confirm the validity of that report. Thanks for the heads up.
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby benzji31 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:13 pm

ned wrote:I have just read the eBay advert and it states twice the mileage of 84,500 ish, they also say customer satisfaction, get a independent mechanic to look at it and then go back to them with the fault list and see what they say before you start legal action, they might give you a refund if you mention legal action then you can look for another van. N

They seemed like a respectable dealer, apparently one of the biggest in London for vans...

I'm going to take the van to another mechanic and call the dealer again with all the added info.

Thanks for the support gents, much appreciated.
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby benzji31 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Gents,

Could someone tell me where the engine number is located on an MK6 Duratorq 2.4 Di 90BHP engine please?

I'm trying to see if the V5 has the same engine number as the one installed.

Thanks
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby benzji31 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:03 pm

benzji31 wrote:Gents,

Could someone tell me where the engine number is located on an MK6 Duratorq 2.4 Di 90BHP engine please?

I'm trying to see if the V5 has the same engine number as the one installed.

Thanks

Nevermind I found its location in the workshop manual:
https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/transit_2000.5_01.2000-05.2006/mechanical_repairs/3_powertrain/303_engine/303-01a_engine_2.4l_duratorq-di_(puma)_diesel-2.4l_duratorq-tdci_(puma)_diesel/description_and_operation/engine/
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby P4t » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:06 am

I thought car dealers stopped being responsible for the mileage reading years ago, they can't be sure the previous owner didn't clock it can they so the mileage reading is never to be trusted anyway.
But....
When a trader sells a vehicle it must be roadworthy & if not then writing 'Spares or repairs' on the receipt isn't enough to relinquish them of their obligations, the law says they need to make it clear to you they are selling you an unroadworthy vehicle & that includes making sure you don't drive it away on the highway, if they didn't make it clear that it was unroadworthy then they have not fulfilled their legal obligation to you & the wording on the paperwork is meaningless, they knew you wanted it for a long trip didn't they.
P4t
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby benzji31 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 am

P4t wrote:I thought car dealers stopped being responsible for the mileage reading years ago, they can't be sure the previous owner didn't clock it can they so the mileage reading is never to be trusted anyway.
But....
When a trader sells a vehicle it must be roadworthy & if not then writing 'Spares or repairs' on the receipt isn't enough to relinquish them of their obligations, the law says they need to make it clear to you they are selling you an unroadworthy vehicle & that includes making sure you don't drive it away on the highway, if they didn't make it clear that it was unroadworthy then they have not fulfilled their legal obligation to you & the wording on the paperwork is meaningless, they knew you wanted it for a long trip didn't they.

They did print out the MOT history 3-4 weeks before I went to see it (the pages show print date/time) and it was around the same time their vehicle inspection was conducted, which means they perfectly knew about the mileage tampering. I just looked at the first few pages which seemed normal and didn't check the last page that had the previous higher mileage...
I recall mentionning to the sales guy that mileage seemed on the low side for its age, and asked if it'd been around the clock and back which he laughed at and denied.

Anyway, you're right I am going to base my complaint mainly around the fact they let me drive away, hence not a scrap vehicle and were perfectly aware of my plan to drive long distance, then secondly the false advertising, the fact they used an RAC logo on their inspection report, that they knew about the higher mileage since they printed the MOT history but never mentioned it, then that they sold me a vehicle not fit for purpose with their inspection report showing no signs of oil contamination which is another pure lie.

Pic of their injector repair with the front one using very weak plastic excess pipe.

Pic of the oil contamination.
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby P4t » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:04 pm

The leak off pipe is an OK 'get you home' bodge, it's just low pressure diesel draining to tank, the proper stuff is dirt cheap on ebay & I renew all mine when I buy a transit anyway.
As I say, mileage isnt a strong argument because nobody really knows (without a full service history & even they can be fake), it's arguable that the speedo broke & the previous owner got a used one from a scrappy that had a different mileage on it (unlikely but you can't rule it out), you can only really get traders on the mileage if they specifically wrote that the mileage was genuine.

Also his reply about it not having gone round wasn't a lie, years ago the clocks only had 5 digits so above 99,000 would be 'round the clock' yours has 6 digits so round the clock would have to be 1 million miles... you basically asked the wrong question there.
But yes, concentrate on the fact the van was knowingly prepared by them for your long trip & then decribed as spares in an attempt to rob you of your consumer protection.
P4t
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby benzji31 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Recorded letter sent today, I did point out the fact they knew of my project and let me drive away, and the Road act 1955 about vehicle sold for spares... let's see what they come back with...

The thing about the mileage is that I can prove they printed out the MOT history (print date showing 29/04 in the header just after the date of their "RAC" inspection report with also their name on it). MOT history shown the mileage at 150k in 2009, then went back to 60k the year after. It is a 9 pages document and when I was there I only checked as far as 2010 or so, basically didn't look at the last page... doh... I thought that the most important ones were the last couple of MOT.
They perfectly knew at least about that since they held that document for about 3 weeks... but still went ahead and advertised it as having done 84k with no further comment... I realise now my question wasn't the right one but it should have prompted them to indicate it had MOT history with a much higher mileage...

I was browsing their website earlier and found the same "RAC" reports for most of their vehicles, and when I clicked on the same icon saying "RAC 115 checkpoints"
...I get exactly the same fake looking RAC inspection document with the RAC logo at the top, same mechanic name,... and in that report on mine it clearly said "Check for oil contamination = Checked ok"... so their mechanic is either lying or completely incapable.

Does anyone know what a proper RAC inspection report looks like and can confirm if the one they provided me is genuine or not please?
Or can they show an RAC logo if their mechanic has some sort of qualification but not actually with the RAC?
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgWiqEqAryJfgddA1qz03waW_JKIaQ
benzji31
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits