*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

DOFA to H9FA conversion

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

DOFA to H9FA conversion

Postby ScatMan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 am

G'day all,
First time virgin poster here on this great forum although I have been reading for years now.

Hoping for any info to see if I can use the DOFA engine block to get me H9FA in my cab chassis up and running ?

I have both blocks here side by side and I cannot see any differences between them apart from the extra oil gallery on the H9FA for the common rail fuel pump.
I can see the DOFA block has all the drillings there but just plugged for the TDDI pump.
So at this point it looks like if I remove the plug and screw in the external tube from the H9FA engine I reckon I may have a goer.
Does anyone know of any other differences or any reasons I cant use this setup ????????????
My H9FA engine has pretty much a full length cylinder crack in the #1 pot, although everything else is in perfect condition.
The DOFA block is in almost as new condition and so was just going to lightly hone the bores to clean threm up and use all the left over bits from the H9FA but installing new std pistons, rings and bearings.
Any opinions out there ??
Thanks
ScatMan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit Tragic down under :( :( :( :(

Keep an eye up front because there's nothing more useless than the runway behind you!!!!!!!!!
ScatMan

Re: DOFA to H9FA conversion

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:50 am

The fuel pump wont fit :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:The fuel pump wont fit :wink:

Yep....can see that just looking at the pics....the mount holes are significantly different.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ScatMan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:09 am

Well I must be blind because I just had another look and it looks good to me .
I will try the pump on it and see if it will fit.
The photos might look a little different on a small screen , but i am looking at a 60" screen 3 feet away.
In fact I am gunner swigg me tea and offer it up now.
Will get back soon guys

Keep an eye up front because there's nothing more useless than the runway behind you!!!!!!!!!
ScatMan

Postby ScatMan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 am

Great news
Photos say it all.
Make sense really , the CR pump was just an up grade to the 2.4 and I reckon Delphi, Bosch and maybe others would have tried to get their gear on engines in competition with each other and if it bolts on with no or minimal mods then they would have the advantage.
Or down grade as some would put it, these Delphi CR pumps and injectors are shocking here in Australia with our Shite fuel and repair and replacements bloody expensive too.
Now I just need to see if anything else may be different on the block.
I have systematically gone through and compared every surface side by side eyeballing things and cant see any differences yet.
So if anyone else has done this or tried this I would like to hear.
Gunner let the subject develop on the forum for a while yet before I commit to the conversion, just in case someone pipes up and bursts me bubble.
If n when I do go ahead with this, I will keep the forum updated for interest and other like minded folk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScatMan

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Ah...good news. I thought you were talking about the Mk7 "Denso" pump....the Delphi pump is off the Mk6.....either way, good work.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 am

You dont have a H9FA block :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ScatMan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm

G'day Bambi,
I never said that it was a H9FA block.
The black oily looking block in the photo is the H9FA block and its this block that has the number 1 cylinder crack it.
The rusty looking block is the DOFA block.
I am using this old but good condition DOFA block and trying to work out putting all me good H9FA stuff from my RS H9FA engine block.
And so far it looks like the only difference is the oil feed to the fuel pump area.
The Dofa block has the gallery but its plugged as shown in the photo with me scratcher pointing to it.
Its just a matter of drilling out the plug and installing the bolt and spray tube from the H9FA block which I have now done.
I have got to find the $$$$$$$ first to get new engine components like pistons n rings, engine bearings and gasket sets, so will possibly a few weeks before anything happens.
So I am using this time to see if any comments come through on the forum to the contrary.
ScatMan

ScatMan

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:56 pm

ScatMan wrote:G'day Bambi,
The black oily looking block in the photo is the H9FA block and its this block that has the number 1 cylinder crack it.
I am using this old but good condition DOFA block and trying to work out putting all me good H9FA stuff from my RS H9FA engine block.
And so far it looks like the only difference is the oil feed to the fuel pump area.
The Dofa block has the gallery but its plugged as shown in the photo with me scratcher pointing to it.
Its just a matter of drilling out the plug and installing the bolt and spray tube from the H9FA block which I have now done.
I have got to find the $$$$$$$ first to get new engine components like pistons n rings, engine bearings and gasket sets, so will possibly a few weeks before anything happens.
So I am using this time to see if any comments come through on the forum to the contrary.
ScatMan

Lets start again :lol: DOFA is tddi H9FA is tdci :wink: The mounting hole on a tddi is different to a tdci.+ the bolting arrangement is different :)
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ScatMan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm

G'day Bambi,
The black oily looking block in the photo is the H9FA block
I am using an old but good condition DOFA block and trying to work out putting all me good H9FA stuff from my RS H9FA engine block.
ScatMan

ScatMan

Postby ScatMan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Bambi,
accidently sent the last reply twice :( :(
Yes you are right in the TDDI and TDCI Pumps
BUT!!!!!!!!!!
As you can see in the photo, I have the TDCI fuel pump mounted on the TDDI engine block with the oil gallery opened up and spray tube mounted all using the original hardware.

ScatMan

Postby Qldmts » Tue May 19, 2020 10:32 am

Did you do the swap over, did it all go Ok?
Qldmts
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 am

Qldmts wrote:Did you do the swap over, did it all go Ok?

Thread was nearly 2 years ago and "Scatman" hasn't visited this forum since November 24 2018.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits