*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel Pump removal problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Fuel Pump removal problem

Postby Jay_today » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Hello all,

Well after a fair bit of reading (thanks everyone and especially APH) I tried to remove my knackered fuel pump today, and have come across an odd problem.

I think I've locked the pump sprocket in the correct position, and when the sprocket retaining tool is fitted the holes appear to line up with the sprocket holes to allow access to the 3 Torx bolts. Problem is - the access plate retaining tabs on the cover are blocking the holes, almost completely.

Has anyone come across this before? Don't think I'm missing anything... Are these tabs abnormally long? I thought maybe it could it be due to a cheap replacement timing chain cover which does not have these tabs machined correctly?

The only solution I can think of is to get in there with a Dremel and carefully grind the offending tabs back to allow access. Not ideal as I don't think having a bunch of swarf in with the chain / pulleys /etc. will do it much good, but they've got to go -or its the whole timing cover off (and the engine mount with it I assume ...)

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be great, thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay_today
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Fuel Pump removal problem

Postby v8dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Try turning the crankshaft through one complete turn.

Assuming this is a mk6 with a tddi engine.

The tabs should not foul the bolts so the sprocket must be in the wrong position.
Last edited by v8dave on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Have you pinned the flywheel as the pin is not in the correct place :?: Have you the correct tools also :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jay_today » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks for replies.

Haven't pinned anything else yet. I bought a timing lock kit off eBay (same as pictured except 6mm pins are black), I think it's the correct tools. I first wondered if it could've been drilled incorrectly, but the holes do appear to line up. It is just the retaining tabs are in the way.

When you say pin is in incorrect place, how do you mean? The dimple on the outer of the sprocket is at roughly 1 o'clock position.

I have turned the crankshaft a couple of complete turns, this doesn't change how the tabs interfere though. The sprocket lock tool can only fit in one position, and always locates the holes over the tabs, whatever position the sprocket is in. I wonder if the black tabs on the sprocket lock tool are positioned correctly.

mk6 FWD 2l TDDI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay_today
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 pm

DONT GRIND ANYTHING.If you look at your fuel pump where its bolted to the block pick the centre of the pump between where the end of the holding bolts protrude and line up the hole in the sprocket with it.You can then get at the torx bolts but you must pin the flywheel.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jay_today » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:19 pm

So are you saying not to use the pump sprocket retaining tool? Just to pin the flywheel and then undo the Torx bolts?

As the sprocket retaining tool can only fit in one position (shown), the holes are always blocked. This is what puzzles me.
Jay_today
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby v8dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Bambi will know for sure but the tool will fit and allow access to the bolts when the engine is set in the correct position.

This may not be where you can get the pin in to lock the pump.

I've got tdci so don't have to worry about timing. :D

v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jay_today » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks for the reply v8dave. It certainly should work, I know enough people have bought and used these kits. Also I was following the detailed instructions from another thread, seems straightforward enough. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but the problem actually seems very simple:

As far as I can tell this tool cannot be fitted in (what I believe to be) its one and only position on the timing cover, and allow access past the tabs on the timing cover. The black tool holding clips and access holes are too close together. Changing the engine/sprocket position can't affect this.

Sorry if I'm repeating, just trying to make the issue clear.
Jay_today
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby v8dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Maybe your pump sprocket is not a genuine ford one and has the holes in the wrong places ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30969#p288721

If one hole lines up then all three should, in your first picture the hole nearest the camera looks to be OK.

v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby v8dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Are you sure your putting the timing pin in the right place.

http://www.fordtransitforum.co.uk/forum ... 20#p279041

v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jay_today » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for the help. The problem I'm having has nothing to do with the sprocket though. Its the way the locking tool fits to the timing cover, means the cover is blocking the holes in the tool. The spocket/engine position makes no difference with this.

I may have sussed it now- the tool only fitted to the timing cover in one position, held on only by the small tabs at the edge of the 3 black retaining clips. The rest of these clips are pressed tight to the silver body of the tool.
I've loosened the two screws holding each clip, and now the tool locates on the cover and can be rotated 360° to any required position.

Seems slightly counter-intuitive as now the sprocket retaining tool (and presumably therefore sprocket) can rotate on the cover, so not much of a 'lock'. I'm guessing the clips have to be loose enough to allow rotation to the correct position with a little force applied, but tight enough to retain its position when untouched. Is this the correct way to use it?
Jay_today
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby v8dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 pm

You'll have to wait for someone with more mk6 experience than me to come along, never had to open up the covers on my mk6 until the fuel pump failed catastrophically and I decided to move to a mk7.

I was looking at the first picture you posted in this thread and thought it looked like the holes were in the wrong places, as I can see one nearest the camera not blocked by the tab and one furthest that is blocked hence my thought the sprocket might be the problem.

v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jay_today » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 pm

I think this was just a case of me not knowing how to use a tool properly :oops: Thats a shame about your last van, was it a mechanical pump failure or the EDC? It's the EDC on mine. I think it's awful how many otherwise fine vehicles must get scrapped for the sake of an EDC that Bosch refuses to make available to consumers.
Jay_today
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby v8dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Mine was catastrophic failure of the pump internals, the distribution section did not rotate when the sprocket was turned.

The body was succumbing to the tin worm as well.

v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits