*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2010 - mk7 transit knocking and stopping!! help needed pleas

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2010 - mk7 transit knocking and stopping!! help needed pleas

Postby darkhorse » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:18 pm

ok guys, so I have had the mk7 for about 2 years now, it had a recon engine (with receipt for 3k) with less than 10k on when I bought it but 140k total mileage.

its been fine until the other day.. I haven't been using it much over the past two months as I am now office based, but I started it regularly and did a few local runs. I went to pick up some kitchen units the other day and noticed when the windows were down and I was leaving the supplier that it sounded quite 'knocky'!

I hadnt driven it for a while so thought it was maybe always like that, but as I headed back to the motorway it got worse until I realised I was deep in the sh*t without a paddle. I managed to limp into a supermarket car park, it started getting a bit juddery, and then conked just as I made it to a good place in the car park for recovery!

Many hours later... me and a diesel handy mate tried everything, we noticed a lot of air in the fuel lines, so suspected fuel filter or housing, bypassed the filter diaphragm at the back as instructed by a garage owner we know who does a lot of trannie's, it tried to start but wouldn't, then flat battery,

Its currently dead at a local garage. I went and pulled the fault codes today, there was nothing very meaningful (left position lamp) and on the engine side, PO480 Fan 1 control circuit and PO68A - ECM PCM power relay.
Now I was thinking either thats because the battery went flat or because there was no fuel pressure? has anyone had this before??? hoping my engine isnt trashed!!! (not checked cam carriers yet) Thanks
darkhorse
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2010 - mk7 transit knocking and stopping!! help needed p

Postby darkhorse » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Any ideas guys?

To make my long post above simpler

2010 2.2 tdci started running noisily, it got worse over a 10 mile drive and was knocking quite a lot, I saw ECM light flash, van started to falter a bit and it did on me when I pulled it into a car park..
Since then, we noticed a LOT of air in the fuel lines
Engine is NOT seized, and runs (noisily) and briefly on easy start
We bypassed the fuel filter and I put a fuel pipe into a can of diesel to rule out and air leak on the pipes/filter, it sounded like it tried to start today, kept trying to catch, but wasnt far off. Not sure we got all of the air out even with an inline hand pump.
Fault codes read - they were one for a left position lamp!

and 2 on the ECM side
P0480 Fan 1 control circuit
P068A ECM/PCM power relay de-energized too early

The battery went flat trying to get it running before the codes were pulled, not sure if 68a is from that or fuel pressure.

Could it be the Fuel pump solenoid?? all help gratefully appreciated!
darkhorse
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Punto443 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Injector clamps come loose?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby darkhorse » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:06 am

thanks, never even knew this issue existed. WIll check and post back :)
darkhorse
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 am

darkhorse wrote:thanks, never even knew this issue existed. WIll check and post back :)

Very common on Mk7's, the bolts are quite small considering they need to hold down two injectors each against huge pressures...they're also "single use" and should be replaced each time they're removed.

Not unusual for them to snap, the clamps themselves are also known to break.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby darkhorse » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:19 pm

knobby1 wrote:
darkhorse wrote:thanks, never even knew this issue existed. WIll check and post back :)

Very common on Mk7's, the bolts are quite small considering they need to hold down two injectors each against huge pressures...they're also "single use" and should be replaced each time they're removed.

Lord Knobrot

many thanks Lord Knobrot :D

It sounds a pita to have the bolts drilled out if this has happened...? My mates garage is overrun as they had a mechanic leave so the van is still in the bottom yard :(
darkhorse
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 am

darkhorse wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

many thanks Lord Knobrot :D

It sounds a pita to have the bolts drilled out if this has happened...? My mates garage is overrun as they had a mechanic leave so the van is still in the bottom yard :(

Just be aware that the loose injector issue is only a "suggestion" of what the issue may be...but it definitely needs to be checked by a competent mechanic.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits