*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 fwd timing chain cover oil leak

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk7 fwd timing chain cover oil leak

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:57 am

hi guys have a dripping leak and after cleaning it off to find a rotten sump i replaced that only to find the timing chain cover is weeping at the bottom, looking it seems to look like an easy job with belts pulley and engine mounting off but do the covers come off in one piece to reseal or is it a new cover and do they have a gasket or just sealant like sump pan?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: mk7 fwd timing chain cover oil leak

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 am

ps do i need to replace the crank seal when taking the cover off to reseal?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:38 am

You can buy a shiny new cover for around 30-50 pounds and search Ford sealant gasket, it is 21 pounds but sometimes you see it for a tenner on eBay.

Get I fine chisel but not to sharp and when you remove the cover you gently go around the engine and scrape the old sealant off (Carefuly) spray wd40 then wipe then scrape etc keep doing that until it is shiny and clean.

Carefully though as you are being surgical about it.

Ppl have replaced the timing cover but it really is 5050 whether it'll leak again, it looks shite too, new cover done correctly, read the sealant instructions as it tells you to wait a little and how to cut the nozzle.

You can use other cheaper sealants which I'm sure someone will recommend.

This 1 looks genuine but do check.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit ... 3669999961?
fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3ATransit&hash=item3d63f4e959:g:jjkAAOSwKMRa7ZNN

Aftermarket with aftermarket sealant-no idea of quality.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRANSIT-2-2- ... SwQ19apklu

I've used these they're fine. You'll see an extra gasket with this the metal triangle, you may or may not need that, yours is most likely find as it has rubber seals but if you plan on going part service of the engine then buy it, it isn't listed on the other ads I've put up so you'll need to do some maths.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... xyMKNSJIdI

Also for about 200gbp you can buy the whole timing chain kit and cover etc. But you'll have to see what feedback they have and the quality. I always try and get Ford items. Tensioner Ford and the guides are cheap from Ford too.

Don't use the green paper gasket that comes with any cover or sump on the mk7 throw it, use the Ford black sealant.

I can only find 1 and it is expensive, usually see lots for around 10gbp buy I guess all this warranty work there doing on the new transits it must be getting used up :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FORD ... XQROxRfnpx

I'm assuming you pride your van but if it is just a work van and you don't care then you can carefully remove your cover trying not to bend it then clean it and the engine up and use a cheap alternative sealant and hope that does the trick.

Crank seal you need to fit it without twisting it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... xy63FS1BJc
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:48 am

hi pal thanks for the reply, ive seen this cover on ebayhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... 1438.l2649
im trying to do it as cheap as poss as im selling it once ive fixed this weep and going for a custom, when i replaced the sump yesterday i used this sealant and its not leaked yet!https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-mk7-RWD-2-4-16v-Timing-chain-cover-Sealant-Elring-Dirko-HT-70ml/253622901968?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
is the crank seal behind the cover once i remove it or does it sit in the cover, im just wondering if i can get away without disturbing it!
ps do i need to drain the oil to do it or will the oil sit below?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:54 am

glenandemm wrote:hi pal thanks for the reply, ive seen this cover on ebayhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRANSIT ... 1438.l2649
im trying to do it as cheap as poss as im selling it once ive fixed this weep and going for a custom, when i replaced the sump yesterday i used this sealant and its not leaked yet!https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-mk7-RWD-2-4-16v-Timing-chain-cover-Sealant-Elring-Dirko-HT-70ml/253622901968?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
is the crank seal behind the cover once i remove it or does it sit in the cover, im just wondering if i can get away without disturbing it!
ps do i need to drain the oil to do it or will the oil sit below?

You don't need to drain the oil, I believe you can remove the crank seal without removing the cover, there's a special tool but you may get away with inserting 2 pins and a lever, if it isn't the original it may have sealant all over it and cause you problems though.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:09 am

agh right best bet to replace it then, dont want to reseal the cover only to have to take it off again!
thanks for the reply pal and i best get the stuff ordered,got a steady weep now :cry:
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:33 am

Just realised from pics the crank seal is actually in the metal cover!
Will definitely replace that too then, what a shame I can’t just get the cover off clean it up and reseal :(
More spending!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Agreed but about 60 pounds and if you clean it up after so it looks shiny and clean the engine bay area it'll look sweet and the buyer will be made up :-)
Not ideal for your wallet but if you bodge it to get rid then you might see him on the doorstep next week and that will sour it all.

Ate you not trading in for a custom then?
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby glenandemm » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Exactly pal, it’s been a good van other than the turbo going when I first bought it and then having abit of an issue with injector seals, once this leak is sorted it will be a bone dry engine too!!
I ordered cover,crank seal and gasket sealer so hopefully that will sort it all and it will be good to go.
I’m gonna sell it privately I think as I’ve got cash to buy a custom and been offered a few nice limited’s already.
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby glenandemm » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Well replaced the cover today, all straight forward however only issue I had was crankshaft seal.
I installed it in the cover first then put all the sealant on and installed the cover, now when I went to push the crank seal over the crank shaft, the seal sort of doubled back on itself and slid on but looked a tight fit but went on,ran up and no leaks yet but is that right that it folds back on itself.
The seal has like an inner and outer seal and I couldn’t get the inner to go around crankshaft without it folding inwards?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:34 pm

I don't think it should fold over, I think there's normally a plastic sheath tool thing that goes in and when you push it onto the crank it slides out in 1 continuous movement and onto the crank. But I could be thinking of the other end Lol.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby glenandemm » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah I was thinking that, it didn’t come with anything fitted to the seal but I couldn’t see how it could squeeze over the crankshaft it looks a very tight fit!
At least if its leaking I can get another seal and fit that easily taking the crank pulley off again, just glad the timing cover is all fitted up now and the sumps sorted too, will take this for a drive later see how that crank seal does!!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby glenandemm » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Haha that didn’t last long, took it up the road and its throwing oil out, looks like I’m gonna have to get back under tomorrow and try and fit the seal properly, looks a pain trying to get the seal over the crankshaft :(
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 pm

glenandemm wrote:Haha that didn’t last long, took it up the road and its throwing oil out, looks like I’m gonna have to get back under tomorrow and try and fit the seal properly, looks a pain trying to get the seal over the crankshaft :(

Get a genuine one with the sleeve or you will end up with a rustproof Transit at least on the drivers side :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby glenandemm » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Haha I know mate that sides already nice and oily from the old leak!!
Thanks for that, I’ll get a genuine seal then if it comes with the sleeve to install it!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits