*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

The old flashing glow plug light symptom

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

The old flashing glow plug light symptom

Postby Oldvandriver » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm

I have a 2005 mk6 2l DI and twice I have had the glow plug light flashing recently,Both times I was pushing hard. So I floored the poor old girl to get on to the A3 without getting flattened, I noticed a bit of black smoke at max and the light came on, I turned the engine off in a few miles at destination. In a few minutes I started up again with absolutely no trouble and the light was gone, until about a fortnight later when the same thing happened. At no time did I feel any change in the engine, either sound or power (so no limp mode). When I put my useless wifi scanner on it I got a code PO 0235, So, what do I do first ? ( apart from not pushing it !) is this a major prob ? I'm kind of hoping that I can fix the smoking under pressure thing, RE MOT time !
PS why does this site come up as an unsafe website on my new I pad all the time when it's ok on this one ?.
Oldvandriver
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: The old flashing glow plug light symptom

Postby marleymaguire » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:06 pm

I had this on my mk6 and it turned out to be the diesel filter clogged up, worth a try?
marleymaguire
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Oldvandriver wrote:I have a 2005 mk6 2l DI and twice I have had the glow plug light flashing recently,Both times I was pushing hard. So I floored the poor old girl to get on to the A3 without getting flattened, I noticed a bit of black smoke at max and the light came on, I turned the engine off in a few miles at destination. In a few minutes I started up again with absolutely no trouble and the light was gone, until about a fortnight later when the same thing happened. At no time did I feel any change in the engine, either sound or power (so no limp mode). When I put my useless wifi scanner on it I got a code PO 0235, So, what do I do first ? ( apart from not pushing it !) is this a major prob ? I'm kind of hoping that I can fix the smoking under pressure thing, RE MOT time !
PS why does this site come up as an unsafe website on my new I pad all the time when it's ok on this one ?.

Re van is it tddi or tdci :?:
Re unsafe site dont read any of bjt's comments you will never be able to think straight again :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Re unsafe site dont read any of bjt's comments you will never be able to think straight again :wink:

Or just don't look at the 'Non Transit Talk' section; most of the rest of it is quite safe :P :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Oldvandriver » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:55 pm

My van is,I suppose a Tddi, it's described as a DI in the etis info. I poked about a bit after I posted my question and found what I assume to be the MAP sensor at the end of what must be the intercooler, on top of the metal pipe in a very dark and sticky place under the radiator.
Oldvandriver
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Oldvandriver » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Oh and it's a new fuel filter(well a few months old) and the filter checker whatsit says its fine.
Oldvandriver
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Oldvandriver » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm kind of worried that if i just change the sensor I might push the ecu into instigating "limp mode". Anybody ?
Oldvandriver
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby amlav » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 am

Try changing the air filter too and clean the MAF sensor (carefuly -just use the special MAF sensor cleaner spray can).
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits