*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

oil capacity anomoly

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

oil capacity anomoly

Postby carlrain » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:39 pm

ok so i have a standard 2 ltr mark 6 2001 and come to change the oil.
i use the specified oil and have never had any issues (5,30 fully synthetic)
always use a good quality oil and never have to top up between oil changes.
my question to you good people is, why does the stated capacity say 6.7 litres of oil and yet when ever i change my oil i let it drain out fully and even use the engine flush. Yet when i come to refill with new oil it only ever needs less than 6 litres to satisfy the dipstick. i always put 5+1 litre bottles in anyway and this takes it to the maximum level on the dip[stick.
i think putting an additional 0.7 on top would cause it to be overfull and cause problems.
anyone else notice this?

thanks carl
carlrain
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: oil capacity anomoly

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 pm

You're not alone....No matter how hard you try, you'll never get all the oil out, parts of the sump, turbo, oil galleries, cyl head cavities, oil cooler etc all contain oil the we'll never get out during a normal oil change/drain. The stated capacity would be for a freshly assembled engine.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby amlav » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:18 am

If you change the oil filter too than it will be pretty close to what the book states .
After oil and filter change start up the engine until oil pressure light turns off and than turn engine off and add more oil as required (top mark on the dip stick0 .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby skengineering » Mon May 06, 2019 3:10 pm

I bought a 12 plt mk7 dropside last year and noticed a drip from the turbo bypass pipe which we fixed ourselves as the original' owner / mechanic 'couldnt find the leak. Anyway I topped the oil up and always noticed a bit of smoke when started. So after 10,000 miles decided to change the oil and thought the old oil would never stop draining and measured it to show around 9 litres! It turned out the last owner / bugger put in the wrong dipstick so I actually topped up an engine that had enough oil. Would this have damaged my engine any way? It still runs fine, I have just put in around 6 ish litres so hopefully it wont smoke any more when starting!
skengineering

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits