*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 seat swap

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 seat swap

Postby Puerto » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:41 am

Hi all,

I finally dropped on a nice Mk 7 (thanks for the advice).

The van is bang on apart from the cab and rear being a little grubby, due to it belonging to a retired landscape gardener.

The back isn’t a problem as I’m going to simply re-plyline it using the old plylining as a template etc, and the cab will scrub up nicely with a bit of elbow grease.

My question is however surrounding the seats.

They are in good condition regards no rips or tears etc, but proper grubby and minging.

Before I whip them out and decontaminate them, I wondered if Mk8 or Custom seats are an easy replacement? I can get hold of a set of either cheap enough.

Has anyone swapped seats over? If so how difficult a job was it?

Thanks in advance.
Puerto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 seat swap

Postby Punto443 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:51 am

I done custom seats in my mk7, easy enough, just a couple of holes need redrilling and the two locator pegs removed from the drivers base.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Puerto » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:12 am

Punto443 wrote:I done custom seats in my mk7, easy enough, just a couple of holes need redrilling and the two locator pegs removed from the drivers base.

Cheers for the quick reply, much appreciated.

When you say just a couple of holes drilling, is this for bolts that already exist on the custom seats that will need nuts attaching on the underside?
Or is it for locator pegs?
Puerto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richgold » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:49 am

The drivers seat will unbolt from the mechanism leaving just the seat box with the mech on it. Once you've done that it's just a case of matching up whatever seat you have with the mech. You could bolt on/weld a piece of box section on each side of the mech and then bolt almost any seat to it.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Puerto » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:31 pm

richgold wrote:The drivers seat will unbolt from the mechanism leaving just the seat box with the mech on it. Once you've done that it's just a case of matching up whatever seat you have with the mech. You could bolt on/weld a piece of box section on each side of the mech and then bolt almost any seat to it.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Nice one.

Thank You.
Puerto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richgold » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Pull the handles off the side of the seat and unscrew the plastic side trim and it should become clear whats possible.
I've said in the past you can make any almost seat fit depending on the work you want to put into it, after all its only metal/bolts/welding.
Another thing to note is that if you fit a Recaro you can buy specific seat mounts tailored to fit a Transit. Not cheap though.
I have this seat in my Crafter and you could do a lot worse than buy this one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recaro-elect ... Sw9GhbQ8Rj
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Puerto » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:04 pm

richgold wrote:Pull the handles off the side of the seat and unscrew the plastic side trim and it should become clear whats possible.
I've said in the past you can make any almost seat fit depending on the work you want to put into it, after all its only metal/bolts/welding.
Another thing to note is that if you fit a Recaro you can buy specific seat mounts tailored to fit a Transit. Not cheap though.
I have this seat in my Crafter and you could do a lot worse than buy this one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recaro-elect ... Sw9GhbQ8Rj

Thanks for that mate, It’s just a set of either standard Custom or Mk8 seats I was looking at.

I have been offered a set of either pretty cheap and just wondered if it was a possible straight swap or easy job.

I’m not too fussed about drilling and bolting for any adjustments, but I’m no welder so anything that requires that sort of hassle, I thing I’d just not bother mate.

It’s not getting blinged up, it was more for comfort and hygiene more than anything.
Puerto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby STEVE P » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:59 am

I have seen new seat covers and foams advertised on Ebay, cant be that difficult to swap them over.

Steve
STEVE P
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pippin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Would altering the seats and mountings by welding/drilling/bolting not invalidate the vehicle safety requirements?

Would it not also require insurance notification?
pippin
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Really pippin.........really
pippin wrote:Would altering the seats and mountings by welding/drilling/bolting not invalidate the vehicle safety requirements?

Would it not also require insurance notification?
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits