*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Water ingress fix?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Water ingress fix?

Postby Puerto » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:13 am

Hi,

I presently have the headlights out for reasons I wont go into....lol... and have noticed a possible design fault.

After washing the van (before I whipped the lights out)The bits of sound dampening carpet behind the headlights, affixed to the inner wings are sodden.

Investigation shows that water runs off the scuttle, through holes in the upper inner wing and simply allows it to run out onto the lower inner wing, behind the head lights.

Has anyone else come across this or come up with a fix?

I’d like ideally to somehow divert the water .

Thanks in advance.
Puerto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Water ingress fix?

Postby knobby1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:47 am

Would really help if you told us what van you have....guessing can lead to incorrect information.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Puerto » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:13 am

Mk 7 Transit mate, I do apologise as I thought I’d actually posted it in the Mk7 forum.
Puerto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 am

Puerto wrote:Mk 7 Transit mate, I do apologise as I thought I’d actually posted it in the Mk7 forum.

It's actually the Mk6 & Mk7 part of the forum...but there are umpteen versions of each....petrol/LPG, diesel, FWD, RWD, SWB, MWB, LWB, low roof, medium roof, high roof van, cab-chassis, Luton, recovery, tipper ...5speed, 6speed...TDDi, TDCi, 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.3L, 2.4L, 3.2L....ETC...ETC...That's why guessing can get us into trouble.

So just saying you've got a Mk7 Transit doesn't really help us much.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Puerto » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks for your constructive feedback, I was looking for genuine advice from any member who may have encountered the same issue, rather than a debate.

I do understand that there are many versions of Transit, and for my lack of information, I apologise for any distress it has caused you.

I have in the meantime actually sorted this quite simply. But thanks again for your help.
Puerto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 am

Puerto wrote:Thanks for your constructive feedback, I was looking for genuine advice from any member who may have encountered the same issue, rather than a debate.

I do understand that there are many versions of Transit, and for my lack of information, I apologise for any distress it has caused you.

I have in the meantime actually sorted this quite simply. But thanks again for your help.

Not a problem....but we do often get people who don't actually know what vehicle they have......all the know is the fact that it's a Transit...we even had a poor chap that had his van for several years and didn't even know it was a FWD...!!

Another thing we often get is ...."My van's broke ....how do I fix it??.." not a word on what is wrong, nor what vehicle it actually is....very frustrating for us sometimes.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:35 pm

My custom has water tubes that plug into the scuttle and let the water drop away to the floor, they do come off easily though but I wonder if it is similar to the mk6/7? Or even can be retrofit?

Bloody Ford, there's lots of little mods you can do though :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Brains_transit » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:46 pm

First thing to is rip out the matting and seal the panel gap on the base as it meets the inner wing then the water runs down and drops out behind the light
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dethleffs » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:15 pm

I have chucked the carpet matting away on mines as a cat had moved in.
One life, live it
dethleffs
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Puerto » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Brains_transit wrote:First thing to is rip out the matting and seal the panel gap on the base as it meets the inner wing then the water runs down and drops out behind the light

I did just that, except I also manufactured a piece of 18 inch DPC to the shape of the inner wing /matting area to funnel and divert the water away, and not actually coming into contact with the inner wings at all now.

It looks quite a neat job as it happens and has to be better than before.
Puerto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:46 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Puerto wrote:Mk 7 Transit mate, I do apologise as I thought I’d actually posted it in the Mk7 forum.

It's actually the Mk6 & Mk7 part of the forum...but there are umpteen versions of each....petrol/LPG, diesel, FWD, RWD, SWB, MWB, LWB, low roof, medium roof, high roof van, cab-chassis, Luton, recovery, tipper ...5speed, 6speed...TDDi, TDCi, 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.3L, 2.4L, 3.2L....ETC...ETC...That's why guessing can get us into trouble.

So just saying you've got a Mk7 Transit doesn't really help us much.

Lord Knobrot

I thought Victor Meldrew had died and went down below but it seems it just went down under :mrgreen:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Brains_transit » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Puerto wrote:
Brains_transit wrote:First thing to is rip out the matting and seal the panel gap on the base as it meets the inner wing then the water runs down and drops out behind the light

I did just that, except I also manufactured a piece of 18 inch DPC to the shape of the inner wing /matting area to funnel and divert the water away, and not actually coming into contact with the inner wings at all now.

It looks quite a neat job as it happens and has to be better than before.

That sounds good, in a mk6 you get a couple of waterfalls
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:13 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:I thought Victor Meldrew had died and went down below but it seems it just went down under :mrgreen:

Oi....I resemble that remark... :wink: :lol:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby pippin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:13 pm

In support of Lord Knobrot - I have a TV that is faulty, any ideas?

Actually my MKVII 2.2 140 FWD 2017 plate (do you need the VIN as well?!!) has the same problem of soggy stuff as well. I shall apply that fix.
pippin
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Fella yer p!ssin against the wind.... The whole front end has got holes not to mention underneath the front end ,soon as you drive along a wet road your wheels, and other vehicles cause road spray which gets in aboot yer furry bits anyway, I'm more interested in the reason your not saying about having your headlights oot ????
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits