*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil Seal and Injectors

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Oil Seal and Injectors

Postby PaulSt » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi all, after little advice. I have a mk7 2.2 FWD Transit Camper that a friend borrowed for a year. When he took it, it was leaking a very small amount of diesel on the rocker cover and he supposedly fixed it.

After getting it back, Ive had a look and there is definitely more fresh oil on the rocker so could be the seal or others have started to fail. Ive looked on the forums here and seems that its common to be the copper injector seal although I have no loss in performance but some smoke on acceleration that looks more than previously.

I'm thinking as these are only a few quid and look fairly easy, I should change all 4, with 2 new clamp bolts as well as its common for them to brake. Ill also change the oil and filters of course after.

My questions are while doing it, is it worth changing the rubber seals as well that cost a bit more (think they are £10 off ebay) and are eBay ones ok?
Should I do the rocker cover gasket as well (cant see any problems with it)
I dont have a torque wrench, so is pinch tight fine for the injector clamps
and finally when removing the injectors, I know they have to go back in the same location, but once all bolted in, presume theres nothing else to do with priming the system or anything?

Thanks for any help, Ive done basic maintenance tasks on petrol engines like servicing before but never touched a diesel or injectors, hence the questions!
PaulSt

Re: Oil Seal and Injectors

Postby Herts » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:09 pm

MK7 - 2.4 RWD/HR/LWB 3.5T 140HP (BIG BOYS TOY!)

Number 1 Emergency Call out Engineer!!!

http://www.hertsplumbinganddrainage.co.uk
Herts
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:20 am

PaulSt wrote:Hi all, after little advice. I have a mk7 2.2 FWD Transit Camper that a friend borrowed for a year. When he took it, it was leaking a very small amount of diesel on the rocker cover and he supposedly fixed it.

After getting it back, Ive had a look and there is definitely more fresh oil on the rocker so could be the seal or others have started to fail. Ive looked on the forums here and seems that its common to be the copper injector seal although I have no loss in performance but some smoke on acceleration that looks more than previously.

I'm thinking as these are only a few quid and look fairly easy, I should change all 4, with 2 new clamp bolts as well as its common for them to brake. Ill also change the oil and filters of course after.

My questions are while doing it, is it worth changing the rubber seals as well that cost a bit more (think they are £10 off ebay) and are eBay ones ok?
Should I do the rocker cover gasket as well (cant see any problems with it)
I dont have a torque wrench, so is pinch tight fine for the injector clamps
and finally when removing the injectors, I know they have to go back in the same location, but once all bolted in, presume theres nothing else to do with priming the system or anything?

Thanks for any help, Ive done basic maintenance tasks on petrol engines like servicing before but never touched a diesel or injectors, hence the questions!
You really need them torqued although I've done without, its more than just a nip up, your always better with genuine parts but can be a bit pricey compared to motor factors/ebay, but definitely get genuine Ford green O-ring seals for injector leak off pipes as aftermarket rarely fit properly and split on rebuild, when refitting injector before you tighten clamps make sure metal injector pipes are lined up fitted and nipped up so there's no having to bend pipes to make fit
Oh and use good qualiy oil
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wigiz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Has andz327 said above, when repairing the diesel system it's always better to use genuine parts, have a look on eBay as some dealerships have ebay accounts and sometimes parts are cheaper.
Wigiz
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby PaulSt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks for the advice, change went relatively smoothly (well one injector was almost seized in place and took some gentle persuasion to come out and when it did the washer remained so needed fishing out but nothing massive). Put it all back together and running perfectly. Oil change to do at the weekend and now to see why the battery light is on!
PaulSt

Postby andz327 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:20 am

PaulSt wrote:Thanks for the advice, change went relatively smoothly (well one injector was almost seized in place and took some gentle persuasion to come out and when it did the washer remained so needed fishing out but nothing massive). Put it all back together and running perfectly. Oil change to do at the weekend and now to see why the battery light is on!
Clean the brushes on back of alternator
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby PaulSt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, is cleaning the brushes fairly easy? Guessing as a result of the oil leaking all over it thats recommended?
PaulSt

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits