*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 transit 2.0tdci 125bh won’t start

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 transit 2.0tdci 125bh won’t start

Postby Murphy281 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi there am wondering if anyone can help me a recently changed my fuel pump inlet metering valve pressure sensor on my van and now it’s not going to start up it turns over an over so I checked to see if fuel was getting to the injectors and they where it’s was squirting out when cranking the van over but still wouldn’t start it would start with easy start and it would start for about 30 seconds then it will come out an wont start again, I have had it checked and there is no codes comeing up but when a had it running with the easy start the battery light was on an the engine was rocking like mad at the end before it cut off can anyone help me with wots going on with my van
Murphy281
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk6 transit 2.0tdci 125bh won’t start

Postby ned » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Sounds like your injectors arent opening, was the van running ok before you changed the IMV? What condition is the battery in i.e. Is it old and knackered. What code reader did you have it scanned with? Mk6 are not obd2 compliant. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Murphy281 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:10 am

Is that wot it sounds like to you thanks for gettin back so quick :D it was running ok but not to its full potential it was a wee bit sluggish on hills but was running and the battery is perfect an not that old, it was a snap in reader that was used an he said that the injectors wasn’t getting picked up with the ecu so he put the numbers for the cylinders that was on top of the block in but didn’t make a difference a didn’t start. I have even put the old one back in an it didn’t start up rather do u think it’s still the injectors that’s away Ned
Murphy281
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Murphy281 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:44 pm

How would u get the injectors open again or do you have to replace them
Murphy281
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:56 pm

I had this issue (or similar) last year where my van would only run on easy start then die as soon as it burn the go juice off, I had to replace all 4 injectors to get the van going again, I'm not saying its 100% them but the injectors control the fuel not the pump.

Sluggish on hill is also a sign, did the van ever go into limp mode or cut out? Has the glow plug light been flashing?. N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:59 pm

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wojciech » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm

If you changed IMV valve and henceforth engine not going to start up - first check fuel pressure on rail during starter work.
It must be 350 bar +/- 50bar. If pressure overstep permitted tolerance - PCM determine injection fuel delivery as 0 (zero).

-------------------------------------------
If you changed IMV valve because " it was running ok but not to its full potential it was a wee bit sluggish on hills" - it was mistake, I think.
Always during driving, pressure on rail and pressure given from PCM are compared and if difference is bigger than 50 bar - engine is stopped or works in limp mode. So - IMV valve wasn't the cause...
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Murphy281 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 pm

No it never went in to limp mode or anything like that it just ran sluggish an more on hills or put the foot down in 2 an 3 gear when you put the foot down it missed like hell then was ok if u took foot off a bit but couldn’t get to the bottom of wot was doing it. It’s in ma mates garage the now he’s gona try an c wots maken it not start hope it’s not the injectors coz they r a bit pricey new.
Wojciech what do u think it was if it’s not the imv valve coz when it was running it felt like it was not getting fuel as was chapping now an again an it wasent like that before an when it done it on my tddi it was the fuel selonid so thout it was the same on this one so a thout it was have u had this before on a van
Murphy281
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wojciech » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Murphy281 wrote:Wojciech what do u think it was if it’s not the imv valve coz when it was running it felt like it was not getting fuel

If system doesn't work in limp mode, problem is rather outside fuel system.

It can be broken vacu VGT turbo control system. Check VGT servo - simply and quick test. Get someone for little help. With cold engine (because of hands burn) start engine and look for servo rod on turbo - at once (on idle) it should move to opposite position (into vacu servo).
Still on idle disconnect vacu pipe from servo port - rod shoudl move out immediately to opposit position. And now connect pipe back - rod must move quickly into servo to the end.
Now do it once more and test by hand is rod stopped in both positions in extreme positions.
If servo works indolently and doesn't go to the extremal positions - that's probable cause of your problems.

Problem can be in blocked vanes in turbo (limescale, corrosion), but also in leaky vacu system. Also broken electric vacu solenoid (are two above right wheel, one works for turbo, second for EGR). Check all vacu pipes, aren't they wrong connected. I wrote many times on Forum how it should be. Check vacu container. It is connected by vertical vacu pipe, it is located under winscreen in engine compartment. Verical pipe likes to be disconnected, if it is like that - VGT doesn't work correctly.

System works in feedback loop - if is broken vacu system (and VGT), pressure in intake is to low, PCM read it by MAP sensor and... cut fuel delivery. Driver puts foot down - no effect, PCM can not to give bigger injection, because of air deficiency and in effect big black smoke and ecologic danger...
------------------------------------

If vacu VGT system works ok, you would have to think about fuel system testing. But without limp mode it looks ok. Sometimes with broken temperature sensor (VHT sensor) system works with limted power (as in limp mode) but no glow plugs indicator.

MK6 tdci Delphi system is easy to diagnose, but is necessary conscious diagnostician with IDS.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Murphy281 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:11 am

I would do that at the turbo side but it dosent start up an run an when a use easy start it runs lumpy as hell an no throttle an when it runs out the engine is rocking bk an forward an the battery light comes on when it is. I will go down to the garage urs at tomorrow an c how they have got on an c if they can do the checks with the ids if not l will try an get someone who can thanks for all your help hopefully I can get it bk gunning again
Murphy281
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:51 am

Murphy281 wrote:No it never went in to limp mode or anything like that it just ran sluggish an more on hills or put the foot down in 2 an 3 gear when you put the foot down it missed like hell then was ok if u took foot off a bit but couldn’t get to the bottom of wot was doing it. It’s in ma mates garage the now he’s gona try an c wots maken it not start hope it’s not the injectors coz they r a bit pricey new.
Wojciech what do u think it was if it’s not the imv valve coz when it was running it felt like it was not getting fuel as was chapping now an again an it wasent like that before an when it done it on my tddi it was the fuel selonid so thout it was the same on this one so a thout it was have u had this before on a van
Murphy281 wrote:I would do that at the turbo side but it dosent start up an run an when a use easy start it runs lumpy as hell an no throttle an when it runs out the engine is rocking bk an forward an the battery light comes on when it is. I will go down to the garage urs at tomorrow an c how they have got on an c if they can do the checks with the ids if not l will try an get someone who can thanks for all your help hopefully I can get it bk gunning again
Don't suppose you tried puting a genuine Ford tdci fuel filter on it before all the messing with injectors ?
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Murphy281 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 pm

I haven’t done anything with the injectors yet andz327 an it was the same fuel filter that was on it before it was doing it would it been that causing the van to run a bit lump on hills coz it’s not a genuine ford one that’s on it
Only thing that’s bn done with the injectors is reprogrammed back in as wen put it on the snap on code reader it said injectors wasent coded in so done that and it still didn’t run so don’t know if that was anything to do with it or not
Murphy281
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:32 pm

Murphy281 wrote:I haven’t done anything with the injectors yet andz327 an it was the same fuel filter that was on it before it was doing it would it been that causing the van to run a bit lump on hills coz it’s not a genuine ford one that’s on it
Only thing that’s bn done with the injectors is reprogrammed back in as wen put it on the snap on code reader it said injectors wasent coded in so done that and it still didn’t run so don’t know if that was anything to do with it or not
Maybe fiter is choked with tdci always use proper ford filter
Its the first thing I'd have changed if it was sputtering, chugging, losing power
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Murphy281 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 am

It looks like a bran new one an had it off an put fresh fuel in it tryin to start it but didn’t work but was useing fuel out of it so a kepet on topping it up an didn’t start at all do u think it would be better to put a ford one on it andz327
Murphy281
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Murphy281 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:29 am

Could the problem with the no starting due to the EGR valve bn blocked with a blanking plate
Murphy281
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits