*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cut Out - Could it be an immobilser - key fault 23

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Cut Out - Could it be an immobilser - key fault 23

Postby minibus1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Good Evening Guy's and Girl's,

I'm trying to help out a friend here with his beloved converted minibus, after spending weeks removing seats and becoming a carpenter, his beloved bus this morning after being driven to work, would not or rather has not started again..

It's a 2004 2.0 minibus the engine code is ABFA, it has a ford EEC-V engine ecu, it is manual and petrol

I am by no means an expert but we have tried this..

Battery voltage was a little low, removed two original ford batteries and replaced with brand new ones, to a slightly better spec than the ford one's now getting 12.4v constant

When putting the key in we noticed the red blinking light that normally goes off is staying on ! after reading on the forum here about counting the fault code, we counted 2 and 3

I wondered whether it was an immobiliser fault.. after remapping a few cars, I read the engine ecu successfully and sent the file off, unfortunately apparently the immobiliser cant be removed with a remap :-(

We have tried reprogramming the keys using the on off switch method and this still doesn't allow it to start

Again after reading around it sounds like we may have a problem with the fuel pump ecu talking to the engine ecu

I've read the DTC codes and cleared all that I can, ones that wont go away are : B2550, B2139, C13A1, P3900 and C1300

I've also read that FORD forscan can reset the fuel pump ecu, which code 23 sounds like its not talking too, has anyone ever done this?

Do you think we actually need to replace the fuel pump? maybe just the pump ecu? maybe just reinitialise the current pump and immobiliser, I've read somewhere that you only get one shot at coding them, thus will we even be able to reinitialise the current one

Is it stupid to think it may just be the transponder ring on the ignition barrel, I have checked the keys with a key copier and it reads from the three keys, one code from one key and the same code from the other two keys, which kind of made me think the transponder ring was probably ok, are they easy to replace should we really be starting by replacing this? would the ford forscan give a better diagnosis than delphi?

It drove fine before he parked it there this morning

Any help comments or info all greatly received, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and help in any way..
minibus1

Re: Cut Out - Could it be an immobilser - key fault 23

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Code 23 is usually a problem with the pump EDU, meaning that it's failed. Unfortunately it happens :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby minibus1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Just an update to this, yesterday we decided to try and reinitialise the PATS module with forscan, we started by reading the logged DTC's :

P1563,P1664,B1213,B2139,B2141

We can't clear these either, it also says that it cant read codes from the EDU on the VP44 which is normal apparently

So we run the initialise pats module, it gets all the way to the end and says recycle the ignition to initialise pats, multiple recycles of the ignition later and pats will not initialise

We then removed all the keys(3) and added (2) sucessfully

And ran the initialise pats module again, we got exactly the same as above with constant recycling of the ignition but no pats initialisation

We removed the EDU and send it to actronics for test before remanufacture

They have called us this morning to say the unit is functioning as it should does not need re-manufacture

Any ideas where to go next with this? wiring fault? anyone got a wiring diagram to allow us to bell the wires out?

Any further ideas from the forscan fault codes?

Someone suggested I send the forscan logs in so I am also going to try that !!

Thanks for any help given it is always appreciated

Any help comments or info all greatly received, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and help in any way..
minibus1

Postby Altransit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:28 pm

The fuel pump wiring can get damaged. Where it runs around the starter motor body, the wires can chafe and break internally, so that may be worth checking :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby paul2012 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 am

minibus1 wrote:Good Evening Guy's and Girl's,

I'm trying to help out a friend here with his beloved converted minibus, after spending weeks removing seats and becoming a carpenter, his beloved bus this morning after being driven to work, would not or rather has not started again..

It's a 2004 2.0 minibus the engine code is ABFA, it has a ford EEC-V engine ecu, it is manual and petrol

I am by no means an expert but we have tried this..

Battery voltage was a little low, removed two original ford batteries and replaced with brand new ones, to a slightly better spec than the ford one's now getting 12.4v constant

When putting the key in we noticed the red blinking light that normally goes off is staying on ! after reading on the forum here about counting the fault code, we counted 2 and 3

I wondered whether it was an immobiliser fault.. after remapping a few cars, I read the engine ecu successfully and sent the file off, unfortunately apparently the immobiliser cant be removed with a remap :-(

We have tried reprogramming the keys using the on off switch method and this still doesn't allow it to start

Again after reading around it sounds like we may have a problem with the fuel pump ecu talking to the engine ecu

minibus1 wrote:Just an update to this, yesterday we decided to try and reinitialise the PATS module with forscan, we started by reading the logged DTC's :

P1563,P1664,B1213,B2139,B2141

We can't clear these either, it also says that it cant read codes from the EDU on the VP44 which is normal apparently

So we run the initialise pats module, it gets all the way to the end and says recycle the ignition to initialise pats, multiple recycles of the ignition later and pats will not initialise

We then removed all the keys(3) and added (2) sucessfully

And ran the initialise pats module again, we got exactly the same as above with constant recycling of the ignition but no pats initialisation

We removed the EDU and send it to actronics for test before remanufacture

They have called us this morning to say the unit is functioning as it should does not need re-manufacture

Any ideas where to go next with this? wiring fault? anyone got a wiring diagram to allow us to bell the wires out?

Any further ideas from the forscan fault codes?

Someone suggested I send the forscan logs in so I am also going to try that !!

Thanks for any help given it is always appreciated

1st ABFA engine is a 2.0 TDDI 100ps DIESEL engine :wink:

Engine fails to start. Engine cut out & won't restart.

P1564 Injection Pump Control Module Requesting Reduced Fueling
P1664 Injection Pump Control Module Malfunction

Faulty EDC - FAILED fuel pump

Your engine will have a Bosch VP-30 pump :wink:

B1213 Less Than Two Keys Programmed to the PATS Control - 2 ignition keys are required :!:
B2139 PCM ID does not match between the PCM and PATS control
B2141 Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) configuration failure - No PCM ID stored in PATS.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits